Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11280-2009-harley-davidson-iron-883-review.html)

The_AirHawk 03-31-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 208979)
Anyone got a spare can of flat black paint? We can help out those unfortunate people who can't afford those Harley black models. How about a V-Strom Black for Ken? A BMW Black for 12er? Two Black Race Replicas for Moke. The opportunities to do good are endless.

And we all know - Doin' Good ain't got no End..........

fonzie 03-31-2009 04:41 PM

Hmmm...

Quote:

Anyone got a spare can of flat black paint? We can help out those unfortunate people who can't afford those Harley black models. How about a V-Strom Black for Ken? A BMW Black for 12er? Two Black Race Replicas for Moke. The opportunities to do good are endless.

Perhaps the motor company knows what it's doing after all.

If you guys wanna black out the rides you already have, whats the difference between you and them? I smell a trend here. They lead and you follow perhaps? And back again.

Next time suggest flat orange spray paint to be "different"!
:)

Kenneth_Moore 03-31-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

I'm saving that for the R5B. I'm going to call it "Negro Custom" and put "Kill Whitey!" stickers on the tank and fenders.

nferr 04-01-2009 03:16 PM

Yawn......

schizuki 04-08-2009 08:05 AM

Black is the new chrome. Keep up, ya rubes.

Meh. I like it. It's a good-looking, inexpensive bike for the young H-D aspirationals. I'd prefer a 1200 Roadster myself, but that's not an option after Harley's absurd decision to replace it with the XR1200 (the latest bike for the "If they build it, I'll buy it!!!" folks that never seem to actually cut a check.)

longride 04-08-2009 08:11 AM

"I'd prefer a 1200 Roadster myself, but that's not an option after Harley's absurd decision to replace it with the XR1200 (the latest bike for the "If they build it, I'll buy it!!!" folks that never seem to actually cut a check.)"

Harley dropped the Roadster because if people actually saw what they got for the extra cash the XR1200 costs, they might not even sell unit one.

Duken4evr 04-12-2009 12:41 PM

A very long time ago, my very much drunk at the time buddy tried to ride his '79 Sportster (a real "iron" Sportster by the way) up a flight of stairs. He actually made it about halfway up, then gravity and inevitability took hold. Down he came in a cloud of tire smoke.

These smaller Harleys may not seem that heavy due to their low CG, but they are. I found this out, as I tried to "assist" him. Natually I had a few in me at the time as well.

The total damage was a bent rear fender and destroyed tail light. Not bad considering the magnitude of the stupidity involved.

The bike got a complete makeover after that and wound up being pretty cool. A pair of modified to fit VW pistons lowered the compession some, and it ran much better that way. Seems the old iron engine ran very hot.

That and one day I came by his house and smelled toxic waste burning in the kitchen. My buddy was baking on some black crinkle finish on his top end.

He sold the bike, in the end, to a USC student, who called a few weeks later to thank him - seems the kid was getting lots of collegiate girlie action on his tough blacked out stripped down little Sporty!

Well there it is. My one and only Sportster story. The bike truly was an AMF era POS, but we had plenty of fun with it. :)

The_AirHawk 04-12-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 210120)
A very long time ago, my very much drunk at the time buddy tried to ride his '79 Sportster (a real "iron" Sportster by the way) up a flight of stairs. He actually made it about halfway up, then gravity and inevitability took hold. Down he came in a cloud of tire smoke.

These smaller Harleys may not seem that heavy due to their low CG, but they are. I found this out, as I tried to "assist" him. Natually I had a few in me at the time as well.

The total damage was a bent rear fender and destroyed tail light. Not bad considering the magnitude of the stupidity involved.

The bike got a complete makeover after that and wound up being pretty cool. A pair of modified to fit VW pistons lowered the compession some, and it ran much better that way. Seems the old iron engine ran very hot.

That and one day I came by his house and smelled toxic waste burning in the kitchen. My buddy was baking on some black crinkle finish on his top end.

He sold the bike, in the end, to a USC student, who called a few weeks later to thank him - seems the kid was getting lots of collegiate girlie action on his tough blacked out stripped down little Sporty!

Well there it is. My one and only Sportster story. The bike truly was an AMF era POS, but we had plenty of fun with it. :)

There you have it - Doin' Good ain't got no End..........

sarnali2 04-13-2009 07:42 AM

Well I love Iron heads, we used to say "Harley's are my life, Sportsters I do for Fun" I had a '78 XLH with prog. suspension, an 18 in rear wheel-19 in front combo with Continental's (The performance tire at the time) and flat track bars. A buddy of mine built and raced Sporty drag bikes so we cam'd it added an adjustable mainjet bendix and drag pipes. That bike ran like sh*t through a goose and sounded like a Wright Cyclone, I swear I had more fun on that bike than any I've owned before or since.

That's the one bike I owned I wish I had back, it was black with gold pinstripe and AMF Harley-Davidson on the tank, like a dumbsh*t I traded a buddy for a '75 XLCH because he had a bum knee and couldn't kick it anymore but it wasn't the same. The '78 was just one of those perfect bikes that only come around once or twice.

longride 04-13-2009 10:27 AM

Ironheads are some of the coolest bikes ever made. I had a couple of them over the years, and I just picked up a 72 dirt cheap that will be my rat bike project. Should be fun!