Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90K1500 View Post
why would i buy a 4 banger camry when i have a truck with a built 454 BBC?
look all i wanna know is what would be a good bike to start with but if it can't be done without tryin to act like such a smarta** then don't waste your time i'll figure it out on my own
Mostly- the geezers here are only picking for fun. The tough survive this site and blend in fine. The rest disappear. Get tough skin. Learn to take the guys with a grain of salt and you'll figure this place out. Most of us have decades of experience and the rest are bullshyters but all of us just screw with the new members to see who caves. We're sometimes harsh. We're surely insensitive and we all have opinions about - well, everything. If you see outrageous comments it's for a reason. We're just letting you know that your experience level has to keep you grounded in riding reality. After reading thousands of post of guys wanting to start out on Busas we tend to be mean because thinking you can start on an open class GT bike is the foundation of expensive hospital bills if you survive at all.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #22
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If that's all you want to know, then here's the answer: get a Ninja 250. If you have to have something a little bigger, get a Ninja 500. Don't get a 600. Don't get a 650. Don't get a 1000. After you've ridden that Ninja for at least a couple of seasons, then get something else.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
90K1500
Registered Member

what about a Yamaha V Star 950? it's a cruiser and the insurance is way cheaper then that of the CBR for the V Star through progressive was just a tad over $1200 compared to the CBR which was $3,049.00 and i'm not real throttle happy especially since i am starting out and i'm still skittish and it'll be a few months before i really get up and go and i have every intention of taking a safety course before getting on the road and i'll admit it was a stupid choice to try and pick a Busa or something i shouldn't be on cuz i would infact probably end up dead or severely injured within days of getting the bike
90K1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
look all i wanna know is what would be a good bike to start with but if it can't be done without tryin to act like such a smarta** then don't waste your time i'll figure it out on my own
The really bad part is guys like you get your new Gixxer or Busa and go turn yourselves into a greasy spot on the tarmac, and we have to put up with the outrage and new laws to protect us because some idiot can't figure out that he isn't ready for 170 horsepower when he can't even ride. My assessment is that if you already narrowed your choice down to 3 bikes you will likely kill yourself on because your skill level is probably less than zero, it is my duty to get you to possibly take up golf so I don't have to deal with the shyt you create when you scramble your body and brains. I won't waste my time, but unless you are going to listen, don't f*ck up my hobby and life by being a idiot. Get a small bike to learn on that you can handle and maybe you will live long enough to enjoy a Gixxer or Busa. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
what about a Yamaha V Star 950? it's a cruiser and the insurance is way cheaper then that of the CBR for the V Star through progressive was just a tad over $1200 compared to the CBR which was $3,049.00 and i'm not real throttle happy especially since i am starting out and i'm still skittish and it'll be a few months before i really get up and go and i have every intention of taking a safety course before getting on the road and i'll admit it was a stupid choice to try and pick a Busa or something i shouldn't be on cuz i would infact probably end up dead or severely injured within days of getting the bike
Well, now you're just talking CRAZY.............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #26
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok lets try this a differnt way
how much HP does your truck have and how much does it weight.... examples

Toyota camera has a curb weight of 3500lbs and 160hp giving it a power to weight ratio of 21.8lbs per HP

Mazda Miata: 2600lbs 160hp = 16.25 lbs/hp

Dodge Viper: 600hp 3400lbs = 5.67 lbs/hp

Lambo Murciélago: 3865lbs 632hp = 6.1 lbs/hp

Ninja 250: 333lbs 25 hp = 13.32 lbs/hp

Suzuki SV650: 72.5 hp 376lbs = 5.12 lbs/hp

CBR1000RR: 388lbs 178hp = 2.18 lbs/hp

Hayabusa: 197hp 552lbs = 2.8hp/lbs

Ok so lets start at the (theoretical) slowest, or the ones with the lowest power to weight the highest ones or (theoretical fastest)

1:Toyota Camry
2: Mazda Miata
3:Kawi Ninja 250
4: Lambo
5: Dodge Viper
6: Suzuki SV650
7: Hayabusa
8: CBR1000RR

The hayabusa has almost TWICE the hp/lbs as a Dodge viper!!! Hell the Ninja 250 hits 60 in 5 seconds or less, it has a better Lbs/hp ratio than most cars on the road. The SV650 has a higher power to weight than the dodge viper, well close but higher. The V star 950 has about 60hp and weights about 600lbs. Thats 10lbs/hp. Think about that a second.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #27
pushrod
Founding Member

90K1500,

So, young Skywalker...

Amid all the noise, we are truly willing to help you in your quest.

Ya gotta admit, when someone tells you he wants a 'first' bike, and he has it narrowed down to a 1000(+) cc sportbike or a VStar 950, ya gotta expect some derisive comments.

Not knowing your height or weight, our normal advice is to start with a smaller Ninja, or small displacement cruiser. Buy used, because you are going to drop it. Ride it for a year or two, until you feel you have mastered the skills necessary to ride that bike.

Then, with the increased skills and experience, you can make a better decision on the Next Bike.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

And when you get on the road with your bike, watch out for those guys driving the pickup trucks with huge motors and no mufflers. I'd tell you to watch out for the dangling nutz, but they are at the end of the vehicle you are not worried about.

I won't mention Soccer Moms in SUVs, suits reading the morning paper, teenagers texting, and the general ineptitude of the American Cage Driver.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #28
90K1500
Registered Member

as far as much truck goes it runs 480hp and 550 lbs. ft. of torque and weighs around 5600 lbs. but what about a late 80s Honda Magna? just i need something i know will fit me since i'm 6'1 and im around 250 lbs. and my practice bike is my dad's GoldWing 1500 since it's all that's available to use since i'd like to have some sort of experience before going into the safety course im taking this summer i know it's not the best bike to learn on but it's all i have to use atm and my only really problem is taking off cuz i knw the bike has a lot of power and i don't give it enough gas while taking off so it jerks but i am getting better considering it's only a weekend thing since my dad's a truck driver and gone during the week
Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Best bet, go to a dealer, sit on a bike for a half an hour. no, im not kidding you. Ima little taller than you and 220lbs. Try the Triumph Classic lines (bonneville scrambler T100)
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
90K1500
Registered Member

let's see today i sat on a V Star 950 concours 14 shadow 750 boulevard M somethin i forgot and a GSX600F i believe and a bonneville se T100 Speed Triple and a couple others but i liked the V Star the most it looks good it's balanced nice the seat is really comfortable and it sounds awesome so i may just go with the V Star