Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
HibachiZ28
Registered Member

Question Good Bike?

Hey all! I've been looking for a Suzuki SV650 or a Honda Hawk NT650. I am 6'4", and was alright riding around on my 82 CB450SC Nighthawk and my 82 CB750SC Nighthawk. Though a little "small", I never had any issues and felt they were both comfortable.

I found a 1990 Honda Hawk 650. One of my friends who's a bike and auto mechanic has a buddy who is selling it. He vouches for the bike. This is the information he sent me:

Quote:
Gold Valve emulators, progressive springs, GSXR brake caliper, EBC floating disk, M4 full exhaust, jet kit, Fox shock, Corbin, fairing, frame sliders, roller bearings in steering head, 25k miles.

I'm the second owner, my Dad was the first. It came to me when he got an SV650. The fairing was a dealer accessory at the time -- I believe Honda listed it as a factory accessory and it was made by Targa. I did all the mods myself, save for the installation of the GV emulators (by a shop) and the jetting kit (by my Dad -- who also put a TBR system on it; I changed to the M4). I also did the scheduled services at the scheduled 8,000 mile intervals (I wouldn't bother checking the valve clearances again for another 20,000, they never change). Always used synthetic oil. She rides and runs perfectly. I've toured on it, run track days and chased my friends on their liter bikes through the back roads. Just changed the oil.
So my questions to you.. being 6'4", will this be too small of a bike for me? I will sit on it and see if I like it, but just curious now before I go check it out this week. Also, is that a fair asking price for what the bike is? Any other helpful info I should know?

Thanks!!

EDIT (Photos):

Last edited by HibachiZ28 : 03-22-2009 at 09:12 PM.
HibachiZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I am 6'4" and I rode an SV 650 and it did not seem too small. I think it would fit you just fine. As for the price, I'm not real sure what they are going for these days, but those bikes are stone reliable and can do just about anything.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
HibachiZ28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I am 6'4" and I rode an SV 650 and it did not seem too small. I think it would fit you just fine. As for the price, I'm not real sure what they are going for these days, but those bikes are stone reliable and can do just about anything.
The one I posted above is a Honda Hawk I saw a lot of SV650's for sale earlier in the month, and most are the S model that I am finding now... which I do not want.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

SV650 will probably give you more room due to the handel bars. The S has the fairing which Iam sure you know and clip ons style bars.(lower) The NT650was the SV of the mid to late 90's. Great bike!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I don't see a price in your post. But that's a nice looking bike. It even has a single-sided swingarm. It's a standard, so it shouldn't be too cramped for you, legwise. But you'll find out soon enough anyway. The only thing I'd do is call a Honda shop and find out what part availability is like, in case you need something fixed at some point.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiZ28 View Post
The one I posted above is a Honda Hawk I saw a lot of SV650's for sale earlier in the month, and most are the S model that I am finding now... which I do not want.
From the Insurance guy- Insurance companies will not charge you any more for the roadster vs the s. Unless you want the roadster because it's a better distance and commuter vs the s then I'm with ya. The roadster is a much more comfy bike. But if you want to do track days and thought the s cost more to insure- it's not.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Those are all good mods to have, if the bike "looks" good and the price is anywhere less than $3000-$3500, I'd take it. That GSXR/Lenac front brake kit is The Bomb - talkin' one-finger stoppies there.

There is only one caveat with the HawkGT (with your height) that I didn't think about before - if you're long-legged, you may have a bit of a legroom-issue. I'd sit on it before plunking down the cash, just to be sure. Not that it's unridable or anything - you just might look like a Daddy Long-Legs goin' down the road.

Rear-set pegs and foot controls are the only "cure" for seat-distance-to-peg issues - that Fox is adjustable, you could probably get an additional 2.XX" of seat height over the stock setting (Hawk has a 4:1 swingarm lever ratio - 1/4" out on the shock = ~1" up of the seat), put on Gino's Chain Roller to protect the frame, and you're Golden.

Hawks LIKE a fairly loose chain - so if when you go to look at it, and it looks like it needs "adjustment" - you're incorrect. It's probably Perfect.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-22-2009 at 05:02 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
HibachiZ28
Registered Member

Added some photos I got today of the bike.

Thanks so much for the replies, all! He is asking $2900. Parts are easy to come by according to the mechanic buddy of mine from work. I appreciate the responses regarding my height as well, since that'd be the biggest issue. I want a bike that's comfortably for LONG rides. My friends are already putting rides together .. first one is Easter Sunday, 5 hours, 140 miles... lol.

The black pegs I am looking at on the back... are those footrests or am I off on that judgment?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiZ28 View Post
The black pegs I am looking at on the back... are those footrests or am I off on that judgment?
Those are the passenger pegs. The silver pegs just aft of the placard that says "HawkGT 647" on the frame are the pilot pegs. This particular bike has stock rearset/controls, but has had aftermarket pegs fitted to them. Appears to be a very nice example, if it runs as good as it looks and described, it is an excellent buy. All that matters is whether or not it fits you. Trying it on for size is the only way to find out.

Hawk ergos are a bit tighter than the SV, stock for stock. But, with the Corbin saddle, you've got about the best setup for longer-distance riding right there. No matter, the tank only holds about ~120 miles worth of fuel, bit less if you ride like a Hoon.

EDIT: I saw this one has been posted to the HawkList and on Craig's as well. If you think you might want it, and it was close-enough to you, I'd go and take a look at it and soon, were I you. If you'd like a second opinion about the bike mechanically, I can ask-about on the HawkList for you, there's probably someone else on the List in the Philly area that would be more than willing to give it the hairy eyeball.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-22-2009 at 10:18 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
HibachiZ28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Those are the passenger pegs. The silver pegs just aft of the placard that says "HawkGT 647" on the frame are the pilot pegs. This particular bike has stock rearset/controls, but has had aftermarket pegs fitted to them. Appears to be a very nice example, if it runs as good as it looks and described, it is an excellent buy. All that matters is whether or not it fits you. Trying it on for size is the only way to find out.

Hawk ergos are a bit tighter than the SV, stock for stock. But, with the Corbin saddle, you've got about the best setup for longer-distance riding right there. No matter, the tank only holds about ~120 miles worth of fuel, bit less if you ride like a Hoon.

EDIT: I saw this one has been posted to the HawkList and on Craig's as well. If you think you might want it, and it was close-enough to you, I'd go and take a look at it and soon, were I you. If you'd like a second opinion about the bike mechanically, I can ask-about on the HawkList for you, there's probably someone else on the List in the Philly area that would be more than willing to give it the hairy eyeball.
I was curious about the front black pegs, way up front? In the first shot, they are under the "K" in HAWK, but close to the bottom of the bike Non-adjustable, just sticking out. Or am I missing something? lol.

Thanks for the other information. 120 miles I guess isn't horrible. Some of my friends have smaller tanks and others with larger, so I guess I'll just make due He said he'd rather sell it to me since I'm a good friend of one of his good friends/bike buds. I know the whole history of the bike from my buddy at work. He serviced it a few times at the bike dealer he used to work at. He said to buy it, as long as I fit on it.

I am going to see it on Weds or Sun, depending what day the owner has free. My buddy/his buddy may be able to bring the bike to work for me to look at there. So we'll see how that plays out. I have the cash and I want it. Hopefully it will be mine this week! Thanks again for all the great, helpful information!!

Last edited by HibachiZ28 : 03-22-2009 at 10:56 PM.