Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Wyked Illuzionz
Registered Member

Default Make a Phone Call in Support of Maryland Riders

Reference: Maryland Senate Bill 766 - Vehicle Laws - Protective Headgear Requirements for Motorcycle Riders - Exceptions

If this bill is passed, the current law will be revised to make it legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet if you are at least 21 years old and have either had your motorcycle license for at least two years or successfully completed a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved motorcycle-rider course. The effect of this revision will then be reviewed in three years and adjustments made accordingly.

Please call the MD Senate to let them know that you support Sentate Bill 766 and want them to vote on it.

See details and phone numbers in link below:
The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

Thanks in advance for your help.
Wyked Illuzionz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ha, yeah right. Let those who ride decide.

"Up from the meadows, rich with corn, clear on a cool September morn, the clustered spires of Frederick stand, looking for where the organ-doners land."

While I support freedom or choice in this respect, I also know first hand the horrific results of a brain injury. Go to a rehab place and take note of the poor bastards who weren't wearing a lid, and now are near vegies, drooling and looking with eyes that do not see.

Have you ever knocked your helmetless head off a curb, and woke up three weeks later in the hospital, not knowing what the hell happened? I doubt it.

And if you had, you would never ride without a lid, period. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Wyked Illuzionz
Registered Member

mscuddy, this is not a debate over the benefit of wearing a helmet. I wear mine even in Florida and other states where there is no helmet law.

It is about doing research, examining a situation, and then making an informed decision. It is about not having the Government make decisions for me that I am capable of and choose to make for myself.

Anyone that is not capable of making their own decisions should probably not be riding a motorcycle anyway, or driving a car, or crossing a street, or voting, etc. etc. etc. (....and I have seen men and women in the situation you described, only their conditions were from causes other than motorcycle accidents - same result though! I did volunteer work to take care of them.)

You are correct. Ignorance IS bliss!

P.S. I may not agree with what you say but I will always support your right to say it.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Oh, so the state government is doing the research. Well that's totally diferent then. I guess once all the facts are in, Maryland will just let everybody do as they please. Maybe even ride naked. Perhaps that will bring back the armored cod piece.

Oh, these helmet threads are so tedious..you know the stats on wearing a helmet vs. not wearing one, and still good money is thrown after bad to come to the same conclusion: Wearing a helmet saves lives. May not be quite as fun as letting the wind blow through your hair, but it beats concrete blowing through your skull.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'll call them and tell them I don't support it, will that work?

I have too many dead and crippled helmetless friends to play this sh*t.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm in dude. Don't let the other guys get you down. Yes, I should have the freedom to knock my unhelmeted head off a curb if I want. Last time I checked, it was still my head and not theirs. Just like I should have the freedom to ride a motorcycle if I want. Banning them would save lives too, but the other guys won't go for that one I bet. Too many rules already. We dont need more.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Wyked Illuzionz
Registered Member

Interesting debate (has been going on all over the country for many years); however, at this point it is really a waste of time since neither you nor I are permitted to make these decisions so our opinions don't really matter - do they? We will just continue to do as we are told.

P.S. Please feel free to call and give any opinion you like. After all, that's what this is all about - each person being able to make their own decisions.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

" have too many dead and crippled helmetless friends to play this sh*t."

Good thing you don't have any dead or crippled helmeted friends eh? I guess that might confuse things just a bit.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyked Illuzionz View Post
Interesting debate (has been going on all over the country for many years); however, at this point it is really a waste of time since neither you nor I are permitted to make these decisions so our opinions don't really matter - do they? We will just continue to do as we are told.

P.S. Please feel free to call and give any opinion you like. After all, that's what this is all about - each person being able to make their own decisions.
The ironic part is the same guys that cry every day about Government intrusion in our lives now say the same Gov is wonderful for giving us these helmet laws that save us from ourselves. The hypocrisy is as thick as a 3 pound steak. It would be funny if is wasn't so sad.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The hypocrisy is as thick as a 3 pound steak.

MMMmmmm.....steak....
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote