Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
How about airbags? I don't find the idea of an explosive driven nylon bag 2 feet in front of my face very comforting either but try to buy a new car without one or two at least.
The last two cars I bought (both '08 MY) have 6 and 12 bags, respectively.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Nobody's talking about banning motorcycles, we're talking about whether the Feds have a legal right to require a person to take reasonable precautions to protect your melon. Do you object to wearing seat belts too? I can't stand them myself but most states require me to wear them. How about airbags? I don't find the idea of an explosive driven nylon bag 2 feet in front of my face very comforting either but try to buy a new car without one or two at least.

How about gun laws and OSHA requirements, do you want to do away with them too? how about speed limits? those are all laws that regulate behaviour. I don't think it's outlandish that they also enact laws that we have to wear helmets on motorcycles.
Oh here we go. Now we gotta do away with all the laws because Sarnali is in a snit. Yes, I am against seatbelt laws. I don't need $75 buck ticket for not wearing it and we were all assured that it was never going to be a primary stop in our state and now it is. That is why when you give an inch they take a mile. No, I don't care if they put airbags in, as long as I don't have to wear it. Guns are protected under the Consititution.....at least until the Liberals showed up. Speed limits are in place for obvious reasons. I think it is outlandish that you have to wear a helmet. It is protecting you from you, and the Government should stay out of that business. Haven't they f*cked up enough things yet? I think Rap music is the best music around and now I'm going to force everyone to listen to it because I'm right and you are wrong. Get the picture yet? Just becuase you think it's great doesn't give you or anyone else the right to worry yourselves about me. I learned to take care of me 40 years ago. I don't need anyone else to do it. That's my stance. If it isn't yours, then I feel sorry for your state of mind.

Last edited by longride : 03-20-2009 at 12:48 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

In case anyone besides me cares, here's the deal on H.R. 146:

Omnibus Public Lands Package Moves to House - BRC Action Alert
Old 03-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

for an experienced rider like you then a helmet law doesn't make sense. The trouble is with kids or people with no skills that go out, buy a bike and splatter their heads against the first hard object they come across. All that does is give us massive negitive press, grieving families on the six oclock news, tears and snotters all around...then some insurance hack jumps up and raises the rates you and I pay "to recover their expected losses"

The ideal would be going to a L plate system like England. Your first year or two or under 21 you have a honking big L plate with a helmet required. after that it would be your choice. Statistically you're most likely to buy the farm in the first year or so of riding. At least eliminate that demographic from the rest of us. After that, it would be up to the rider, that way it keeps Darwin out of the mix.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
for an experienced rider like you then a helmet law doesn't make sense. The trouble is with kids or people with no skills that go out, buy a bike and splatter their heads against the first hard object they come across. All that does is give us massive negitive press, grieving families on the six oclock news, tears and snotters all around...then some insurance hack jumps up and raises the rates you and I pay "to recover their expected losses"

The ideal would be going to a L plate system like England. Your first year or two or under 21 you have a honking big L plate with a helmet required. after that it would be your choice. Statistically you're most likely to buy the farm in the first year or so of riding. At least eliminate that demographic from the rest of us. After that, it would be up to the rider, that way it keeps Darwin out of the mix.
I can live with that. Most states already have this in place. When you learn, I agree that protection is best. I just don't need it after 40+ years of riding. I can decide what is best, but the Gov just won't let it rest. I really wish people would go take up golf and forget bikes so they can leave us alone. Really. No hard feelin's bro. I respect your views, but I really hate the law bullshyt. Keep the Gov on the sidelines where they belong.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #26
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

no problem, no offense. I've ridden without a helmet plenty of times myself. I'm just more comfortable with one. I agree with Helmet laws for kids and newbies, not for more experienced riders. Unfortunately here it's all or nothing so I lean towards the all side.

I'm looking forward to the big shakeout myself. With evaporating 401k's and tanking resale prices I'd love to see all the weekend warriors f*ck off and find something else to do. Leave us alone and let us get on about our business

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
newagetwotone
Registered Member

No, BS. Jim has to wear a seat belt in a car but John on his bike and doesn't need to wear a helmet? BS. Cmon, if helmets are personal choice then so are seat belts but they're not.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #28
ejis
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
...I really wish people would go take up golf and forget bikes so they can leave us alone...
This is one of the problems that a helmet law might actually help with. The people want to regulate things that annoy, aggravate, or make them uncomfortable. The people tend to see bikers as reckless hooligans or outlaws, and that is reinforced whenever they see someone riding around in a manner they consider "unsafe". That could be a leather clad assclown flying down the freeway or an open piped douchebag without a helmet. Both make soccer mom voter cringe, but the douchebag is generally around longer than the assclown, and the ear-ringing lasts longer. Anyway...take away the "look at that moron without a helmet, he's going to KILL himself!" and they have one less thing to feel smug about and need to fix. And if they don't think about it, they leave you alone. Of course...you'd have to suck it up with the helmet law...but there are so many worse things than that (horsepower limits, remote engine killers, flying elephant ninjas).
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
No, BS. Jim has to wear a seat belt in a car but John on his bike and doesn't need to wear a helmet? BS. Cmon, if helmets are personal choice then so are seat belts but they're not.
Well, I'm against seat belt laws too. There have to be limits to govt intrusion or the idea of being free becomes meaningless.

The same justifications that force you to wear seat belts can be used to force you to do anything. It's not the job of govt to protect you from yourself. And if you think that the govt can force you to certain behaviors because otherwise the public might have to bear the medical costs then we may as well put the chains back on right now.

I'm always reminded of this quote:

Speaking of "do-gooders" who are deluded enough to think that all problems in life can be solved by passing new laws, Lewis says:

"My contention is that good men (not bad men) consistently acting upon that position would act as cruelly and unjustly as the greatest tyrants. They might in some respects act even worse. Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level with those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals."

This is quite true right now. If you are walking in the forest and see a feather and the ground and pick it up and it happens to be an eagle feather you can go to federal prison for years. This evil and vicious law was not mandated by Hitler or Stalin but by the people we elected with the approval of our neighbors. I've lot count of the times that idiots have explained to me how necessary that law is. They say it's because otherwise people would be killing eagles. Unfortunately such killings weren't going on before that and killing eagles was already illegal. The eagle feather law is insane. However it acts as an excellent way to detect the psychos in your environment. A sane person immediately sees the evil of such legal madness.

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-21-2009 at 05:57 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Make me #2 against seat belt laws too. I stated it then and now that the Gov should not be in the personal safety business. Making vehicles safer is one thing, and making me be safer is another.