Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Ducati SS750? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11081-ducati-ss750.html)

pushrod 03-15-2009 06:38 PM

NATT,

At 6'1, you'd fit, but you wouldn't be there very long. Knees and wrists would protest in fairly short order.

----------

And, our irreverence (the whole Duke thing) is almost certainly not why we have so many drive-by postings.

I think it's because 'real' bikers don't really care much about what other people think. And most of the veterans on this site fit that description. These same folks are most generous with their knowledge, but we are all a few degrees off top dead center.

Except Ken. He ain't right.

newagetwotone 03-15-2009 07:28 PM

Ah, too aggressive? well we all know how klazy ken gets...

BTW, im sitting here thinking, whos natt...? ops.....whos a dumb ass! Me, clearly.

Its Greg

pdad13 03-15-2009 08:34 PM

Can't believe y'all fergot David Duke...

The_AirHawk 03-15-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 207338)

That guy?

Nucking Futs.

The_AirHawk 03-15-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdad13 (Post 207349)

Ah yes - the "White" Jesse Jackson...........

MOKE1K 03-16-2009 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdad13 (Post 207349)

Or the legendary Duke Kahanamoku.

Kenneth_Moore 03-16-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 207338)

He leftist liberal. Klazy klazy klazy. He no take my seminar.

YellowDuck 03-16-2009 06:26 AM

If the OP is still around....

I had a 2000 750SSie for six years. Nice first *sport bike*, since the power output is pretty mild (significantly less snot than an SV650, in fact), but not a great first *bike* because of the extreme ergos and expensive plastic. You can increase the bar height a little with risers, but really not very much because of interference with the fairing.

Handles solidly. Suspension is good compared to an SV (fully adjustable rear), but crap compared to other Ducatis, including the 900 SS. Front forks are inverted cartridge types, but totally non-adjustable. Only a 5-speed gearbox, which is also strange. Fuelling is pretty good from the factory, with just a bit of a lean surge around 4000 rpm. Some people put PCIIIs on them.

Like all 2V Ducs, it responds well to very basic modifications, including lowering the final drive ratio, opening the airbox, and coring the pipes (or replacing with aftermarket pipes), lightening the flywheel, etc. Yes, maintenance is a bit of a hassle. I always say that air cooled Ducatis are really meant for a certain type of owner - those that prefer a more "initimate" involvement with the machine. If fettling with valve shims every 6000 miles is something you could consider enjoyable, then you are SSie material. If not, then get something Japanese.

My experience with the 750SS was positive enough that I bought a second 2V Ducati (Sport Classic 1000). I love these bikes. Not everyone will, for sure.

The 750 is one of those motors that you can really thrash on the street. I was at WOT alot on every single ride, and rowing the gear box a lot to get the best drive out of corners. There is a certian kind of fun inherent in limited HP. The 1000DS is a different kind of fun - lots of power all the time, so much more opportunity to adjust your line with the throttle, even in fast corners. Two completely different rides, with the 750 being much more appropriate for a new rider (or, in my case, a rusty rider coming back after a multi-year layoff).

If I had a friend who was new to riding but dead set on a duc, I would be pointing him towards a monster - used 620ie, used S2R800, or the new 695 if he could afford it.

acecycleins 03-16-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowDuck (Post 207357)
If the OP is still around....

I had a 2000 750SSie for six years. Nice first *sport bike*, since the power output is pretty mild (significantly less snot than an SV650, in fact), but not a great first *bike* because of the extreme ergos and expensive plastic. You can increase the bar height a little with risers, but really not very much because of interference with the fairing.

Handles solidly. Suspension is good compared to an SV (fully adjustable rear), but crap compared to other Ducatis, including the 900 SS. Front forks are inverted cartridge types, but totally non-adjustable. Only a 5-speed gearbox, which is also strange. Fuelling is pretty good from the factory, with just a bit of a lean surge around 4000 rpm. Some people put PCIIIs on them.

Like all 2V Ducs, it responds well to very basic modifications, including lowering the final drive ratio, opening the airbox, and coring the pipes (or replacing with aftermarket pipes), lightening the flywheel, etc. Yes, maintenance is a bit of a hassle. I always say that air cooled Ducatis are really meant for a certain type of owner - those that prefer a more "initimate" involvement with the machine. If fettling with valve shims every 6000 miles is something you could consider enjoyable, then you are SSie material. If not, then get something Japanese.

My experience with the 750SS was positive enough that I bought a second 2V Ducati (Sport Classic 1000). I love these bikes. Not everyone will, for sure.

The 750 is one of those motors that you can really thrash on the street. I was at WOT alot on every single ride, and rowing the gear box a lot to get the best drive out of corners. There is a certian kind of fun inherent in limited HP. The 1000DS is a different kind of fun - lots of power all the time, so much more opportunity to adjust your line with the throttle, even in fast corners. Two completely different rides, with the 750 being much more appropriate for a new rider (or, in my case, a rusty rider coming back after a multi-year layoff).

If I had a friend who was new to riding but dead set on a duc, I would be pointing him towards a monster - used 620ie, used S2R800, or the new 695 if he could afford it.

All that and CHICKS DIG DUCATIS!

sarnali2 03-16-2009 07:02 AM

If I had my 'druthers I'd take my shot of Italian from Moto Guzzi. It's one of those bikes I've pondered 100 times but haven't quit bought yet. There's a good dealer in Seattle and another one in Renton and one in Portland so there's at least some support. I think the Norge, Stelvio and V7 Copa Italia are arguably the most beautiful bikes in their class, I just haven't got the nerve to buy one yet.....