Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
newagetwotone
Registered Member

If your looking at the Gsx650 and you don't think you can get on one of the smaller ninjas, esp. the 500r then you might want to reexamine the GSX.

Not to mention the GSX has like 80Hp which is a TON of power to start with, hell its second or third bike easy. How about the Buell Blast, Moto guzzi makes a 750 twin thats real pretty and from what i've heard is a very upright standard seating position. Try take a look at the SV650 its a 65- V-twin, it has high bars and rather normal controls, the SV650s is the same bike with lower, clip on bars and more rearward controls.

You're a big guy, i know im about 2cm shorter than you and about 30lbs lighter, there are plenty of good bikes that arn't the overpowered gsx.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product&...gory=dualsport
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Hoo!

If you plan on going, you might want to pack a lunch...

This, from Wikipedia:

Traditional Faroese food: Dried mutton and whale meat and blubber. Traditional Faroese food is mainly based on meat and potatoes and uses few fresh vegetables. Mutton is the basis of many meals, and one of the most popular treats is skerpikjøt, well aged, wind-dried mutton which is quite chewy. The drying shed, known as a hjallur, is a standard feature in many Faroese homes, particularly in the small towns and villages.
Other traditional foods are ræst kjøt (semi-dried mutton) and ræstur fiskur, matured fish.
Another Faroese specialty is Grind og spik, pilot whale meat and blubber. (A parallel meat/fat dish made with offal is garnatálg). Well into the last century meat and blubber from the pilot whale meant food for a long time.
Fresh fish also features strongly in the traditional local diet, as do seabirds, such as Faroese puffins, and their eggs. Dried fish is also commonly eaten.

There is one brewery situated in the Faroes Islands called Föroya Bjór, which has produced beer since 1888 with exports to mainly Iceland and Denmark. Hard alcohol like the snaps (schnaps, maybe?) is not allowed to be produced in the Faroe Islands.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Hoo!

If you plan on going, you might want to pack a lunch...

This, from Wikipedia:

Traditional Faroese food: Dried mutton and whale meat and blubber. Traditional Faroese food is mainly based on meat and potatoes and uses few fresh vegetables. Mutton is the basis of many meals, and one of the most popular treats is skerpikjøt, well aged, wind-dried mutton which is quite chewy. The drying shed, known as a hjallur, is a standard feature in many Faroese homes, particularly in the small towns and villages.
Other traditional foods are ræst kjøt (semi-dried mutton) and ræstur fiskur, matured fish.
Another Faroese specialty is Grind og spik, pilot whale meat and blubber. (A parallel meat/fat dish made with offal is garnatálg). Well into the last century meat and blubber from the pilot whale meant food for a long time.
Fresh fish also features strongly in the traditional local diet, as do seabirds, such as Faroese puffins, and their eggs. Dried fish is also commonly eaten.

There is one brewery situated in the Faroes Islands called Föroya Bjór, which has produced beer since 1888 with exports to mainly Iceland and Denmark. Hard alcohol like the snaps (schnaps, maybe?) is not allowed to be produced in the Faroe Islands.
I bet their pizza toppings are interesting...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I believe the GSX650 is essentially a Bandit. Not the worst choices we've heard for a first bike, but still not a good choice.

Buy used, go cheap, and get a less powerful bike. For many reasons. The bike you think you like right now may not be the bike you like once you begin riding. Plus a cheap used bike is far better choice when you drop it...and you will drop it.

The other reason why you should go with a less powerful bike so you don't die while trying to figure out how to ride. Seriously. There as some big fat asses on this forum and a smaller bike is still capable of pushing around even the fattest ass.

If you inadvertently blip the throttle on a less powerful bike there is far less of a chance of something ugly happening to you.

Read the Newbie threads.
Buy gear
Buy a cheap, used bike.
Learn to ride
Sell the cheap used bike for nearly the same amount that you bought it for.
Buy the bike you want.

In that order.

Look at a Ninja 500R. They have been around for many years and you should be able to find a used one.
Good advice except for the part where he can't find a good used bike where he's located.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Make sure it's powerful enough to tote some whale meat! Geez! We just pet them here!

Beppe Grillo's Blog: Faroe Islands, Denmark, the slaughter of pilot whales
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Good advice except for the part where he can't find a good used bike where he's located.
Yeah, if you see I commented on that later.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Meinbamse
Registered Member

I took a look at the used mc market up here, and here is the deal. If the bike is more than two years old it costs just as much as a new bike. Reason for this is that they lowered the taxes for new bikes with a hell of a lot... But i found a couple of good used bikes.. And the Pizzas are just great. Workd at pizza pace once, and a pizza with traditional faroese foods taste like HELL.... Couldnt find any pix of the roads up here, but i asure u that they are awsome to ride on. Exept for all the Bloody rain. Well i will post a link for u so u can se the pretty islands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2HumAf13w Hope u like it..
Meinbamse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
mugwump58
Registered Member

Interesting lesson. So what brought you there? Or are you a native?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I would have posted this one: YouTube - Viking rock from Faroe islands

Viking Rock!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
12er
Founding Member

Wow, them intraweb tubes go all the way up there? Get a dual sport, even a 125 will haul my 300lbs around. Wont set any speed records but will work. So a 400 suzuki should suit you fine other than the cracksplitter seat. Then were back to my tried and true KLR 650. CC's are not created equally, a 650 thumper is going to be a lot less power than a 650 4 cyl. So starting out on a thumper is a much safer bet, none the less having a dual sport for the rugged goodness we have been able to make out that you live in or near.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote