Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
willijimon
Registered Member

Default Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work?

hi,m
Have been reading in some other posts and the Electrical Safety Act 2002 that Electrical Engineers are able to carry out household electrical works? IS this true or have I misread the info? Also if this is the case, ie that electrical work can be carried out by an engineer, how does one get a cert of compliance.

Thanks
willijimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Strictly speaking an Electrical Engineer would not be "certified" to carry out electrical work unless he was also a Licensed Electrician or Industrial High Voltage Electrician and in most cases and IBEW member.

As a rule Architects or Engineer's be it Electrical or Mechanical, design. Electricians or Boilermakers, Iron Workers, Sheet Metal workers, Plumbers etc do the hands on work in installation and Operating Engineers or Heat and Vent Crew do the operating and maintenance....

You sure you're on the right site?....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 03-03-2009 at 08:41 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

You can do the work yourself, but the work must be inspected by the county/city inspector.

At least, that's the way it worked on my garage and house addition.

I just happen to be a Double-E, but anyone can do it, as least here in VA, anyway.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

I'll be shocked (sorry) if he posts here again...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Ha! I do household electrical work all the time. I just don't tell anybody. I know those union guys like sarnali would like to require you to hire a union electrician to change your light bulbs, but he can forget it.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You can do whatever you want except design cupholders for airplanes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's too broad a question. A home owner can wire his house six ways till sunday and until he sells it or it burns down no one would know. When he goes to sell the place or a tax assesor shows up any additions would have to have a permit and that includes an electrical inspection for code compliance.

Too actually work as an electrician in Washington anyway you have to be licesnsed and bonded so yes, an EE could do wiring and no an EE alone could not do wiring for a living.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
When he goes to sell the place or a tax assesor shows up any additions would have to have a permit and that includes an electrical inspection for code compliance.
I always get a kick out of the words "code", "permit", and "compliance". When you buy a 268 year old home you will learn that those terms not only did not apply, but seemed to be intentionally ignored and laughed at throughout all phases of additions and renovations.

All you kiddies out there that might be thinking of buying an old home; be sure to get a home inspector that is familiar with old homes. Same goes with general contractors.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's too broad a question. A home owner can wire his house six ways till sunday and until he sells it or it burns down no one would know. When he goes to sell the place or a tax assesor shows up any additions would have to have a permit and that includes an electrical inspection for code compliance.

Too actually work as an electrician in Washington anyway you have to be licesnsed and bonded so yes, an EE could do wiring and no an EE alone could not do wiring for a living.
For that matter Tesla wouldn't qualify but some 80 IQ dope smoker is perfectly fine as long as he pays his dues.

When Kennecott shut down in the 80s the local unions refused to certify Kennecott's laid off electricians even though those electricians had been required to wire according to local codes. Good old union brotherhood, eh? "I've got mine. Screw everybody else."
Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's the same here with the crafts. Not us because we are in the Operating Engineers and licensed by the City and State, but with the IAM guys, you can be an IAM electrician but once you're outside it's Electrical Workers or Plumbers Pipefitters & Steamfitters, Iron Workers or what have you. Smart guys maintain a card in the IBEW and IUPP&S, UAIW etc... that way they're covered as Journeymen.

IAM membership is company specific, all you have to do is say "I'm an electrician or Plumber" and off you go. It doesn't mean anything on the outside. It might appear chicken-sh*t but what it does is maintain a level of competance in the trades, when you hire a Union Contractor you know the guy can at least read the codes and has enough knowledge to pass the requirements instead of some fly-by-nighter with a roll of wiring and some tape in the back of his pick up

Last edited by sarnali2 : 03-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.