Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #81
newagetwotone
Registered Member

newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #82
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
That's original. None of us have ever seen that site before.

You do of course realize that most of the people that frequent this site don't own Harleys, and those that do own them also have extensive experience with Japanese and European sport and dirt bikes, right?

Just checking. I mean, I wouldn't want you to feel stupid about pigeonholing someone that happens to criticize the bike you ride as a "stereotypical Illiterate Inbred Bible-thumping Harley-Lover". Or something along those lines.............

Lord knows, there are so many OTHER reasons for a man to feel stupid, wouldn't want the painfully obvious to be the only one.
Amusing. For some reason young guys, ALL riding on nearly identical 600cc race replicas are somehow individualists while old guys all riding near identical Harleys aren't.

Logic is no longer a strong suit.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #83
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks $13k for an essentially basic motorcycle isn't such a great bargain?

The alternative-to-a-gazillion-dollar-custom argument makes no sense to me. Virtually no one buys those things anymore. It's competing against ghosts.

The custom market was a niche market even at its height. And the mutants who will still buy those things won't be interested in a Honda, anyway.

Yeah, they'll sell a few, no doubt, because there will always be some people who need to live out that kind of fantasy. But I'm willing to bet this bike doesn't even sniff the expectations Honda has for it.

Oh, and I saw it in the flesh, too. Didn't seem particularly impressive in any way to me.
No, you aren't. Choppers are styling exercises and don't really belong on motorcycle pages. They aren't good for much of anything, as I know having built them myself. At the time I took a lot of drugs. That might explain it.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #84
DragonF6
Registered Member

Ok...tried several times to edit out the American Angst deal...I just tried to post a link to the website and it kept running that other sentence, which I agree is a bit strong. It was only aimed at the guy who seems to think Valkyrie owners have Harley envy, which I found silly as the Valk could not be more un-HD like. Enough already.
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #85
pdad13
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombiker1 View Post
There are lots of "basic" motorcycles for over $13K. Dyna Glide, Softail, many BMWs, etc. Nobody's going to buy a chopper because its a good deal, its an emotional purchase. Not everyone wants to ride an EX500.
Of course. Any motorcycle is largely an emotional purchase. In fact, so are most things we buy, whether we realize it or not.

The thing is, to some people, H-Ds and BMWs have a perceived emotional value commensurate with their prices. Do you think this bike has the same appeal? I doubt it.

My point is that this bike has no significant market. In the absence of the chopper craze, which is long gone, it's just another basic cruiser with a long wheelbase. Being that the craze was just fashion and centered on lots of people who probably weren't all that interested in motorcycles to begin with, I doubt that there are significant numbers of people who were waiting for an affordable, Big-4-made chopper. If there were, H-D would have sold a lot of Rockers.

Remember the Rocker? It came out last year to nearly identical fanfare and reviews. I haven't heard a word about it since.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #86
mugwump58
Registered Member

If the truth be told, and money or space no longer and issue, I still feel the tug of a springer front end attached to an Amen Savior frame, I think it was a whole kit deal from Jammer Products. What would I do with it? I have no idea but there was a time when that was my dream Utility and sport are now the prime concerns, I'm no fun anymore.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #87
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonF6 View Post
Ok...tried several times to edit out the American Angst deal...I just tried to post a link to the website and it kept running that other sentence, which I agree is a bit strong. It was only aimed at the guy who seems to think Valkyrie owners have Harley envy, which I found silly as the Valk could not be more un-HD like. Enough already.
The question is, why do you care if someone thinks that a Valk owner whishes he had a Harley. Do you like the bike? You seem to. So why care what someone thinks.

For the most part people are making comments because it is obvious you are sensitive about it.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #88
motojohn
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Thanks for telling us to look to the Euros again for everything. You might see those Euro customs in bike mags but on the streets it's cheap scooters.
Not talking customs. Look at the demand that brought the XR1200 to the US market or look at Yamaha's MT-01. Those are not cheap scooters my friend...
motojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #89
pdad13
Founding Member

Has Yamaha sold a lot of MT-01s? Last I heard, it wasn't selling, but I don't have any recent numbers.

I have higher hopes for the XR, but I'm not convinced yet. There's definitely a niche market for it, but I don't know if it'll move in significant numbers.

Last edited by pdad13 : 03-02-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Fibromyalgia
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #90
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Why care

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
The question is, why do you care if someone thinks that a Valk owner whishes he had a Harley. Do you like the bike? You seem to. So why care what someone thinks.

For the most part people are making comments because it is obvious you are sensitive about it.
Why care what someone thinks? Then why would anyone of us hang around this site reading other peoples' comments? We care because we are not brain dead. Not quite.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote