Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #41
ofreen
Registered Member

Seems like a pretty silly motorcycle to me, but I am out of touch. What is it good for? Isn't a bike like this just a device to use while posing? Won't people laugh at you for posing on a factory Japanese "chopper?" So doesn't the laughter take away from the pleasure of the posing process? Like I said, I am out of touch.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #42
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Why does a lack of a belt drive change anything?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #43
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Shaftdrive has several drawbacks on a chopper. First, fitting an aftermarket rear wheel/tire is more complex with shaft-driven bikes. Second, Harley uses beltdrive, and many cruiser riders see Harley as the gold standard. Third, shaftdrive is associated with nerdy bikes like BMW boxers and Japanese UJMs from the 1980s. So there are both practical and cultural reasons to use belt drive.

I suspect that Honda understood all of these negatives. But the VTX1300 already had shaft drive. They saved alot of money by sticking with the existing final drive. That was probably the best call but it is a compromise.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #44
OhioSteve
Founding Member

On any motorcycle, the front tire takes most of the stress of braking. The contact patch on a chopper's front tire is tiny, and that would scare me in the rain. Just a passing thought...
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #45
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
No, no, we may be onto something here.......The question is are all the welds sloppy in the same place?
Yep, that is what I was getting at. Were all the welds sloppy in the same way? The photo shows welding that seems pretty sloppy by today’s standards and rather distinct looking. It would be hard to get two bikes together and see if the marking were matching.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #46
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioSteve View Post
This bike lacks belt drive, and that will limit customization options. However, otherwise it fits the basic definition of a chopper. And Honda has undoubtedly hit the right price point. This will be a strong seller for Big Red.

Now I am going to jack the thread.

Thousands of Honda dealers are getting shiny new DN-01s and paying $12,000 apeice for them. That must suck, particularly in these times. The DN-01 costs six thousand dollars more than the TMAX, and it performs worse!

Maybe the salesmen will chain each Fury to a DN-01 and make you buy them as a pair.
Yeah, we had a thread going on about the hidious price point and marketing of the DN-01. I have no idea what Honda was thinking with that.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #47
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
Seems like a pretty silly motorcycle to me, but I am out of touch. What is it good for? Isn't a bike like this just a device to use while posing? Won't people laugh at you for posing on a factory Japanese "chopper?" So doesn't the laughter take away from the pleasure of the posing process? Like I said, I am out of touch.
Personally, I find it less silly than paying 60-80 grand for a "custom" chopper. At least when the owner sells them after they rid it 300 miles in four years they will take less of a hit on it in terms of depreciation. I guess I would rather lose 4-6 grand than 40-60 grand when I sell something, I suppose.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #48
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioSteve View Post
On any motorcycle, the front tire takes most of the stress of braking. The contact patch on a chopper's front tire is tiny, and that would scare me in the rain. Just a passing thought...
Yeah, but how many "custom" choppers ever saw rain. This bike wasn't marketed to us. It was marketed to the bar hopper, weekend warriors, and the guys that take the bike out once ever other month. Maybe 2-5% of these will be seen with over 5000 miles on them when re-sold the first time around.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If the 'Fury' was a person, it would be the new 'rap' star Joaquin Phoenix. He's the new 'cool' right now. Honda needs to sell an 'Elvis Kit' to the rider to complete the look for this bike complete with 1 piece white leather jump suit, large hair with burns, and some dark glasses. Maybe add in a guitar to sling over your back as you ride too. How cool would you be then? Outta sight!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #50
DragonF6
Registered Member

First Honda stops making the amazing Valkyrie, still the best ever Cruiser IMO...now this? Sure it looks cool, but for what? I guess if I was still 20 and trying to impress people. But how far are you going to ride with no storage or good passenger accommodations, not to mention a tiny tank?

I will stick with my 6 cylinder Valk. It impresses people without me even trying. In fact, stopping for gas is always a long ordeal, as people gather to ask about my bike. Plus, I can hop on and do 600+ days in the saddle in pure comfort.
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote