Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojohn View Post
I gave the Fury a good look and sat on it to get a feeling of the controls at the NY International Motorcycle show. I'm 6'2" and let me tell you it felt like a small bike so typical of Honda. You do not get that on a Dyna Wide Glide or Star Raider. I have no clue why that other moto-journalist gave a different opinion in the article but it's his prerogative. Maybe he was caught up in the moment of winning his free lunch.
Part of the appeal of the Fury is that it doesn't feel especially big - it feels more like a raked Sportster than a Wide Glide. Also, it's important to keep in mind the Fury isn't really marketed toward the so-called hardcore riders. The Fury offers a new entry point into Honda dealerships. I believe the only reason it might not sell in huge numbers is the depressed economy. Our previous Fury articles attracted big numbers to MO, and I know we're not the only website that had similar success.

Sure, it's not going to pull in guys who would buy a Yaffe custom, but there is definite appeal to a $13K chopper-style bike that looks this good, and many of them don't need or want a 124-inch earth-shaking motor. In this realm, I don't know if there is there a better style-per-dollar value.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #32
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Part of the appeal of the Fury is that it doesn't feel especially big - it feels more like a raked Sportster than a Wide Glide. Also, it's important to keep in mind the Fury isn't really marketed toward the so-called hardcore riders. The Fury offers a new entry point into Honda dealerships. I believe the only reason it might not sell in huge numbers is the depressed economy. Our previous Fury articles attracted big numbers to MO, and I know we're not the only website that had similar success.

Sure, it's not going to pull in guys who would buy a Yaffe custom, but there is definite appeal to a $13K chopper-style bike that looks this good, and many of them don't need or want a 124-inch earth-shaking motor. In this realm, I don't know if there is there a better style-per-dollar value.

Well there's no debating that, it appears to be a bargain and a half for someone that wants a chopper without the bloody knuckles that goes with building your own. I imagine honda will sell quite a few of them, I think the appeal of a chop is still there, just not the virtually unridable TV-$80k BS.

I think this is a pretty good move for them actually, metric cruisers still sell pretty well and I think this hits the mark squarely for that demographic.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojohn View Post
You can tell you are not chopper or even cruiser folks.... Yamaha doesn't need to do a thing to the Raider. -Snip loony rant- economy. Add in innovations such as hybrids and the whole landscape can change overnight. Come back to your greatness Honda - Are you listening?
I didn't say bobbers and rat bikes are the future. They are the now. Ride around SoCal which always jumps on the fads first and you'll see.

Thanks for telling us to look to the Euros again for everything. You might see those Euro customs in bike mags but on the streets it's cheap scooters.

Of course with our new Obamaconomy on the way, that's all we're going to be able to afford too. At least our healthcare will be "free."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #34
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Knowing Honda they probably sloppy'd up the welds for that "yeah I built it myself with my trusty LincolnArc" look.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were just plastic stick on's to cover up the robotic perfection of their usual welds....
That's a pretty good theory! If that is true I would have to tip my hat to them from a marketing standpoint.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #35
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Nice looking chopper. At least the front wheel doesn't flop over when you try to turn it.

I'd say with some heat wrap on the pipes, and a new flat black rattle can paint job, it would hit its intended demographic target.

Not to mention some iron cross rear view mirrors.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Nice looking chopper. At least the front wheel doesn't flop over when you try to turn it.

I'd say with some heat wrap on the pipes, and a new flat black rattle can paint job, it would hit its intended demographic target.

Not to mention some iron cross rear view mirrors.
Those mirrors rock!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #37
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Mr. Duke, did all of the welds have the same sloppiness? After looking at the photo I think Sarnali might be on to something with them doing it on purpose/faking it.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #38
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Mr. Duke, did all of the welds have the same sloppiness? After looking at the photo I think Sarnali might be on to something with them doing it on purpose/faking it.
Yeah, they were that sloppy on each of the bikes I looked at. I highly doubt they were done that way on purpose - that's not Honda's way, not even this supposedly "radical" Honda.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #39
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yeah, they were that sloppy on each of the bikes I looked at. I highly doubt they were done that way on purpose - that's not Honda's way, not even this supposedly "radical" Honda.

No, no, we may be onto something here.......The question is are all the welds sloppy in the same place?

If they are then that would show a design intent otherwise the first QA guy in the little blue Honda hat that spotted it would have a coronary and stop the line. The weld robot programmer would immediately attempt to commit seppuku for his disgrace .. (I watched Shogun ya' know).. The robot would be reprogrammed to dump trash cans or something and order would be restored.

Of course the Japanese are both clever and shifty little devils, just look at Cuddy. They could have programmed random errors into the welding process for that true one of a kind look.......even though no beady-eyed QA man would let that slip either, the results would be the same. A bloody mess on the welding deck and a life (?) of drugery for the robotic miscreant.....

Yup, I definately smell conspiricy here boys.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-27-2009 at 06:09 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #40
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Default a package deal?

This bike lacks belt drive, and that will limit customization options. However, otherwise it fits the basic definition of a chopper. And Honda has undoubtedly hit the right price point. This will be a strong seller for Big Red.

Now I am going to jack the thread.

Thousands of Honda dealers are getting shiny new DN-01s and paying $12,000 apeice for them. That must suck, particularly in these times. The DN-01 costs six thousand dollars more than the TMAX, and it performs worse!

Maybe the salesmen will chain each Fury to a DN-01 and make you buy them as a pair.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote