Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well taken on it's own merits it looks like a pretty decent bike for a decent price. I think for what it is it's pretty nice looking and I'm sure they'll sell a few, ABS is a big plus.

I suppose we could go off on a tangent about the dichotomy of a stock Honda factory "chopper" with fake cooling fins, fake air cleaner, fake rigid frame and plastic covers as opposed to a bike someone has bought, stripped and modified themselves but that's the way of it today, all image with nothing to back it up with.

Reminds me of the schmuck that flipped me off last night while I was driving in my cage with my daughter. I made a lane change on the freeway that upset this guy so he pulls along side in his pick-up flipping me off and yelling away...I just looked at him and kept going. he passes me again flipping me off and still yelling so I just laughed at him and went ahead, low and behold we're next to him a few miles later in Bonney Lake and all of a sudden this clown realizes that we live in the same town and maybe I could follow him home and see where he lives. At that point he's all meek and mild, both hands on the wheel staring straight ahead even though I'm sitting next to him at the light looking right at him.....kinda' like a chopper with plastic fins and plastic covers.
Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

Just replace Lloyd with Honda and Mary with Sarnali...

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 02-27-2009 at 02:24 PM.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member

I just don't get it. Why wait 6 years after the craze to start a chopper project? Who needs this bike? Honda used to be an innovator. When did that take a back seat to forecasting sales? Used to be they would come up with something that lead the way and others were scrambling to catch up. Now, they drone about the R&D lab thinking they have to conform to some silly idea that HD has this market pegged. Stupid smart people.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Well I have to say Honda has done a nice job with this. I particularly like the way they did the gas tank and frame rails.

However, isn't Honda a little late to the chopper party? The economic situation notwithstanding, choppers are so yesterday. It's all about the bobber/rat bike right now.
You hit the nail on the head. Motorcycles have always been, and will always be, exercises in style. I think Honda hit the style nail better than Yamaha did with the Raider. Unfortunately, styles change and Honda is a bit late to this dance. Good looking bike, though.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #24
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I thought for sure the starting price was going to be in the neighborhood of 20 grand.
Me too! At 13 to 14 G's, that's a lot of style (even if it is cloned). Now here's the question... $13,000 for the Fury OR $18,000 for the Victory Vegas?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
acecycleins
Founding Member

Now, Yamaha using that new 950 air-cooled motor to make a bobber- that would be sweet.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Me too! At 13 to 14 G's, that's a lot of style (even if it is cloned). Now here's the question... $13,000 for the Fury OR $18,000 for the Victory Vegas?
For me? I would go with the Victory. I was never a big fan of the chopper look. I think the Furry is nice, but it isn't for me.

...If I had the money, that is.

Which I don't. So everything goes into the "My Favorite Bikes I will never Buy" category.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
motojohn
Founding Member

You can tell you are not chopper or even cruiser folks.... Yamaha doesn't need to do a thing to the Raider. My prediction is the Fury will be properly placed next to the other VTX's in the Honda showroom that are not selling where it too will sit. People who want an outrageous chopper bike want the over the top styling of chrome everything, belt drive for easier mods to go to fatter rear tires, and 113 cubic inch motor of the Raider to properly place any idiotic American brand owner in their place. Honda is chasing Star, not reversed. They really blew it with the motor choice of the 1300 as well. I gave the Fury a good look and sat on it to get a feeling of the controls at the NY International Motorcycle show. I'm 6'2" and let me tell you it felt like a small bike so typical of Honda. You do not get that on a Dyna Wide Glide or Star Raider. I have no clue why that other moto-journalist gave a different opinion in the article but it's his prerogative. Maybe he was caught up in the moment of winning his free lunch. I'm also glad they mentioned the poor welds because that was exactly what screamed out at the show. For a bike touted for it's fit and finish to have such poor welds that were not machine made around the steering head was a shame. In this category, the details are everything even if the cost is offered a bit lower. Last, I do want to commend the company for taking such a bold step even if I personally feel it's a misstep. It's always a good idea to take chances especially when dealing with other people's money. I also disagree that the push into the future is going to be bobbers or rat bikes as HD wants people to think. This is just their outdated way of marketing that they are offering very little for the money which they've done for years under the "minimalist" cliché. Take a page of our European counterparts when looking future bound. Clean street machines, easier to maintain, little chrome or plastic to be scratched or damaged, and cost conscience given the current economic conditions in the US market. People will continue to ride but they are going to have to make smart choices so these companies can benefit if they play it right. The people who own all those aging hogs are not going to be able to replace them with newer HDs because of their low wallet shares in their retirement funds. They are also used to turn the key and go hassle free from newer rides - there's a market for the right bikes that are solid and dependable in a poor economy. Add in innovations such as hybrids and the whole landscape can change overnight. Come back to your greatness Honda - Are you listening?
motojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
And where did you find such a gastronomic delight? Milton's in Del Mar?
Don't recall the name - too busy writing notes. I don't even know the street, but It's right on east side of I-5 on the north side of the street in a stand-alone building in a strip mall. Might even be in Leucadia... Worth the trip if you can find it, but it ain't cheap.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Don't recall the name - too busy writing notes. I don't even know the street, but It's right on east side of I-5 on the north side of the street in a stand-alone building in a strip mall. Might even be in Leucadia... Worth the trip if you can find it, but it ain't cheap.
That sounds like Milton's. NY style Jewish deli. The matzo ball soup is delish too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Knowing Honda they probably sloppy'd up the welds for that "yeah I built it myself with my trusty LincolnArc" look.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were just plastic stick on's to cover up the robotic perfection of their usual welds....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote