Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #111
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
Europe is a a lot more conservative? You haven't been traveling much east of Kentucky. Fact is we don't have tradiotional V2 cruisers dominating the scene. The main thing is the Bombers with blown gixxers or the heavy adventure bike lot. Us the traditional cruiser guys are really a blip on the screen. We don't even get any *****.

- cruiz-euro
Well if Europe is mainly riding ATs and Bombers then that would make it just as conservative as the USA with mainly RRs and V2s, right?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #112
SmokeU
Registered Member

Mama Mia! Furry, Furry how can I resist you!
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #113
Tombiker1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
Of course. Any motorcycle is largely an emotional purchase. In fact, so are most things we buy, whether we realize it or not.

The thing is, to some people, H-Ds and BMWs have a perceived emotional value commensurate with their prices. Do you think this bike has the same appeal? I doubt it.

My point is that this bike has no significant market. In the absence of the chopper craze, which is long gone, it's just another basic cruiser with a long wheelbase. Being that the craze was just fashion and centered on lots of people who probably weren't all that interested in motorcycles to begin with, I doubt that there are significant numbers of people who were waiting for an affordable, Big-4-made chopper. If there were, H-D would have sold a lot of Rockers.

Remember the Rocker? It came out last year to nearly identical fanfare and reviews. I haven't heard a word about it since.
My Harley riding friends, without exception, find the Rocker to be one of the ugliest styling exercises since the V-Rod. Plus, it came at a time when people are no longer able to refinance their homes, so virtually all Harley sales dropped. I'll give you that Honda is coming out with this too late, but a few years ago when they embarked on their engineering task of building this bike, I'm sure they knew there was a gamble of the market changing. But when you're at the leading edge of motorcycle production, you absolutely must take chances. The MT-01 was another such chance.

I personally don't care whether the Fury is a sales success or not, but I happen to like it and am even considering buying one. Biggest downside for me is the sound of the VTX motor with an aftermarket exhaust- they sound like farting under water.
Tombiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #114
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombiker1 View Post
My Harley riding friends, without exception, find the Rocker to be one of the ugliest styling exercises since the V-Rod. Plus, it came at a time when people are no longer able to refinance their homes, so virtually all Harley sales dropped. I'll give you that Honda is coming out with this too late, but a few years ago when they embarked on their engineering task of building this bike, I'm sure they knew there was a gamble of the market changing. But when you're at the leading edge of motorcycle production, you absolutely must take chances. The MT-01 was another such chance.

I personally don't care whether the Fury is a sales success or not, but I happen to like it and am even considering buying one. Biggest downside for me is the sound of the VTX motor with an aftermarket exhaust- they sound like farting under water.
Maybe but Honda hasn't been at the leading edge for some years now. The fact that it took so many years to put out a new bike when Honda used to be able to do it in far less time in the 70s speaks volumes..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #115
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombiker1 View Post
My Harley riding friends, without exception, find the Rocker to be one of the ugliest styling exercises since the V-Rod.
Maybe they need a brain scan? Of all of the harleys out there the V-rod is probably the best looking except maybe the XR1200
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #116
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well if Europe is mainly riding ATs and Bombers then that would make it just as conservative as the USA with mainly RRs and V2s, right?
Depends what you mean by conservative. Blown gixxers don't first come into my mind.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #117
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Depends what you mean by conservative. Blown gixxers don't first come into my mind.

- cruiz-euro
One definition of "conservative" is simply a resistance to change. If everyone has to own a blown gixxer and refuses to change then that is a conservative, even reactionary, position. That's why we laugh at liberals. They are the new reactionaries who refuse any change and viciously attack anyone who threatens their criminal intentions, all the while pretending to be progressive. For that token the race replica crowd in the USA are reactionaries too. Just listen to their constant mantra of hate towards all other bike types.

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-03-2009 at 05:58 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #118
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Europe is a a lot more conservative? You haven't been traveling much east of Kentucky. Fact is we don't have tradiotional V2 cruisers dominating the scene. The main thing is the Bombers with blown gixxers or the heavy adventure bike lot. Us the traditional cruiser guys are really a blip on the screen. We don't even get any *****.

- cruiz-euro

You can't say "****", you have to say "man-love"
or " a good Rodgering"

carry on........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 03-03-2009 at 08:59 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #119
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You can't say "****", you have to say "man-love"
or " a good Rodgering"

carry on........
One place I worked, the Boiler Chemical Salesmook was named "Don Manlove". As bad as "Creech" is (my own name), were it "Manlove", I would surely change it to "Smith" or "Hussein" or "Crapper" or something other than that..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #120
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
One place I worked, the Boiler Chemical Salesmook was named "Don Manlove". As bad as "Creech" is (my own name), were it "Manlove", I would surely change it to "Smith" or "Hussein" or "Crapper" or something other than that..............
My accountant's assistant is named Pinky Phunprunk.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote