Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Yea, they learned me that scill ways a way back in elementerry skool, itsa been use-a-full lots 'a times.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Oh wait there is a line in the article:

" The air-cooled Honda CRF230M would be outgunned in this group so we simply lined up the new-for-’09 Kawi KLX250SF against the WR250X that Yamaha debuted in 2008."

Hm...
The CRF-M isn't yet available. But it's true there wasn't a good reason to include it, even if it was available. The mechanically identical CRF230L spat out a meager 14-point-something hp. That's about half of what the WR is packing.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Uhhh... usually I have nothing but high praise for your reviews. However...

You justified testing at a cart track, in part due to the number of turns to test the "vehicle's binders". Yet, there was only one off-handed comment about braking. Did I miss something?

And what's a supermoto shootout without at least one stoppie photo? I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.
There's actually more than one mention of the brakes, so, yes, you did miss something. To clarify, the WR's are strong but grabby. The KLX's are powerful enough but are a step behind the Yamaha's.

Check out the WR-X's road test article for your stoppie pic. And a one-handed wheelie.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMotoMike View Post
I was out at Adams the other day when you guys were doing this comparo, and was dissapointed at how little you were pushing these bikes, no slidding, no hooliganism, just fairly mundane, sensible ridding. I watched as you ticked off lap after slow lap and though you were just warming up the tires, but the pace never really heated up...

I'd like to have seen the bikes pushed a bit to see how they manage when ridden a bit harder, instead it was just "circulating"...

Anyways, thanks for the impressions of the seat height, build quality etc, but maybe next time up the pace a little so that we can get an idea of what the limits of these $5,000.00 "starter" bikes are. In this economy, and when you can get a DRZ400 for just a few bucks more, this article just leaves me with a lot of questions...
Feel free to spend four years in journalism school and come gunning for my job. Oh, and don't crash a press bike or you might lose it. I haven't spent 12 years in this business because I'm the fastest guy on a bike, and that's okay with me.

And what might've looked mundane to you sure was a riot to me!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #15
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

opcorn:

We need emoticons!

Now having actually read the article... These bikes are on the edge of the field I've been looking at for the next purchase. It would be great to be able to test ride at the dealership, lol. Next due another 250 utility shoot out, you've already done some of them. But look at utility, can you get racks ect.... to carry your camping stuff as you rocket down the fire trail, truck road, seasonal road and the highways to get there. No orange koolaid, we're talking cheap/utility. Thanks for the write up, gotta go look at the rake and trail on the klx to see how dirt friendly it looks.

I'm not right cause a Sherpa with boxes makes my heart go pitter pat...

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 02-21-2009 at 06:18 AM.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
There's actually more than one mention of the brakes, so, yes, you did miss something. To clarify, the WR's are strong but grabby. The KLX's are powerful enough but are a step behind the Yamaha's.

Check out the WR-X's road test article for your stoppie pic. And a one-handed wheelie.

My bad. I read the article twice. I guess I'll have to make it three times. Maybe I got a little too excited and wanted to get to the end to see who won.

(...and I usually pride myself on attention to detail. Hmmm.)

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 02-21-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: afterthought
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
OhioSteve
Founding Member

Default wr250x

Well I loved reading about bikes that I could actually afford to buy. That is a welcome change.

The wr250x has a terrible ratio of cc to $$. But it is the cheapest freeway-viable fuel-injected Yamaha. I feel that Yamaha has better quality than the other Japanese OEMs (my personal opinion). The wr250x also rides high, which lets you see cages easily in the urban jungle.

Fuel injection is a huge advantage if you ride in a cold climate and your bike is your primary form of transportation.

The Kawasaki and Honda offerings have ancient carburated engines, and they don't have goodies like adjustable suspension.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

I think it's pretty funny that you see so many new and recent riders with attitudes like "who wants to ride a dinky 600". Who would never consider a supermoto because they need that dyck extension. Then you see actual championship riders playing on a go-kart track on motards. You can't buy that kind of entertainment.

Those 250s do look sharp. But where I live (4-8k altitudes) those 250s would strangle, making the DRZ400 probably the minumum sized SM.

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
My bad. I read the article twice. I guess I'll have to make it three times. Maybe I got a little too excited and wanted to get to the end to see who won.

(...and I usually pride myself on attention to detail. Hmmm.)
Yes, the are two mentions of the brakes... Refer to my above post for elaboration.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I think it's pretty funny that you see so many new and recent riders with attitudes like "who wants to ride a dinky 600". Who would never consider a supermoto because they need that dyck extension. Then you see actual championship riders playing on a go-kart track on motards. You can't buy that kind of entertainment.

Those 250s do look sharp. But where I live (4-8k altitudes) those 250s would strangle, making the DRZ400 probably the minumum sized SM.
Yes, you're right that this pair would struggle at altitude, the WR less so thanks to its EFI. I think what the world needs is a an injected 450cc street-legal supermoto with an engine counterbalancer. Or the $10K needed to buy entry into the Aprilia SXV 5.5 club - that bike was ridiculously fun!