Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Yamaha FZ6R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10711-2009-yamaha-fz6r-review.html)

Administrator 02-13-2009 03:57 PM

2009 Yamaha FZ6R Review

Original Article:
2009 Yamaha FZ6R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Yamaha FZ6R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

BrowningBAR 02-13-2009 04:40 PM

I liked it better when it had less plastic.

12er 02-13-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 204396)
I liked it better when it had less plastic.

Kick it over

BrowningBAR 02-13-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 204398)
Kick it over

Eh, I've got a 5lb and a 10lb sledge hammer and a wood splitting axe. I feel confident I could crack that shell.

And I forgot, the FZ6 with less plastic does still exist.

I've got my eye on Craigslist and Cycletrader. I have some bills ending in the next couple of months and my cheap ass might have to buy a second bike.

12er 02-13-2009 05:12 PM

I check craigslist all the time, the deals are out there, more and more each day. Now if my wife's new gig becomes a reality...

Dr_Sprocket 02-13-2009 05:12 PM

I always thought the FZ-1 looks wicked, but the FZ-6 looks wonky. Stylistically, I like this bike better than the FZ-6. I wonder if the plastic will bolt on to the current FZ-6.

It would've been nice to have dyno numbers, since this bike is being offered as an alternative to the R6 and FZ-6.

Kenneth_Moore 02-13-2009 05:35 PM

"research says 60% of its first-time buyers choose a Supersport bike like the R6 and R1"

Further research says that 28% of the first-time buyers choosing Supersport bikes are permanently disabled or disfigured within 90 days of purchase, 59% of the first-time buyer purchased Supersport bikes are wadded into recycle bins within 120 days of purchase, and 64% of first-time buyers of Supersport bikes lose their license within a year of purchase. 94% of all first-time buyers choosing Supersport motorcycles fit into one or more of the above demographics.

"600cc inline 4-cylinder DOHC powerplant that’s is sure to please many newcomers"

Crack is probably pretty pleasing to newcomers too, but that doesn't make it a good choice.

That's a great photo of the yellow bike going by the yellow flowers.

Kevin_Duke 02-13-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 204404)
I always thought the FZ-1 looks wicked, but the FZ-6 looks wonky. Stylistically, I like this bike better than the FZ-6. I wonder if the plastic will bolt on to the current FZ-6.

It would've been nice to have dyno numbers, since this bike is being offered as an alternative to the R6 and FZ-6.

A different frame ensures the bodywork won't bolt up to the FZ6. As for dyno numbers, expect quite a reduction up top but a much stronger pull at the lower and middle portions. We'll strap it to the dyno when we get one for a full road test.

OhioSteve 02-13-2009 08:25 PM

My gs500f takes three minutes to warm up in cold weather. So imho, inexpensive fuel-injected bikes are cool.

This bike has lots of cheap black metal that looks like it came off of a gas grill. However, most cheap bikes share that shortcoming. At least it is less noticable on the black version.

You can buy a five year warranty on Yamahas. That's great for commuters who actually depend on their bikes.

A 26 degree rake is sensible. Most bikers would be far safer if their cruisers had 5% less rake and their sportbikes had 2% more rake.

KodiakRS 02-14-2009 01:45 AM

As someone looking for their first bike I am seriously interested in the FZ6R. I'm still in the 'doing your homework' phase of learning but was in town today and decided to go into the dealership's and sit on a few bikes to just see what was what.

The FZ6R was BY FAR the most comfortable bike I sat on today. This included a few 600cc+ inline 4 bikes I have no intention of buying, a 650R, a sv650, and a V-strom 650. The catch is that I am 6'4 and weigh in at about 280 LBS.

My only concern is that this is an inline 4 600CC bike, something I have been told to avoid. I really don't want to buy a bike that is beyond my capabilities as a newbie so have been staying away from bikes like this. For some reason Yamaha has touted the FZ6R as a beginner bike, and this review sort of confirmed that. What gives? Is this bike going to get me into trouble? If not, what is it about this bike that makes it OK that's different from other 600CC inline 4's that I have been warned about?