Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Eh, I've got a 5lb and a 10lb sledge hammer and a wood splitting axe. I feel confident I could crack that shell.

And I forgot, the FZ6 with less plastic does still exist.

I've got my eye on Craigslist and Cycletrader. I have some bills ending in the next couple of months and my cheap ass might have to buy a second bike.
Maybe you could whittle one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

So, if I understand this correctly you are all saying that a Kawasaki H2 that's been ported would not make a very good beginner's bike?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

It wouldn't make a good bike, period.

Except to look at.
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #24
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Maybe you could whittle one.
I've got enough split wood over here to make a fleet of motorcycles.

Oh, and I went from using 1250 gallons of heating oil to 350 gallons.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #25
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
OEMs now feel that anything sub-80hp can qualify as a beginner bike
Great. So lets tell nOObs to kill themselves more often! Great idea, lets KILL our customers! woooo.

Morons.

newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
It wouldn't make a good bike, period.

Except to look at.
Longride says he's going to look at one. We'll know if he got it by the telltale death rictus on his face.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Great. So lets tell nOObs to kill themselves more often! Great idea, lets KILL our customers! woooo.

Morons.

I'm not saying it's smart. It's just a marketing thing that they've picked up on. Since we Americans are too cool to start on 35hp bikes we don't get 35hp bikes. All those cool bikes that never see the light of day here get left out because marketing to the "bigger, better, faster" Americans they know we won't buy them. Why don't we buy them. Bad marketing and even worse licensing standards. I've said before that MIC and the AMA should put out regular PSA commercials encouraging noobs to start in class and progress through bikes based on hp tiering. It won't happen any time soon, but if it did the generations of motorcylist coming up may be better informed and prepared than we were when we started riding.
Yamaha sees a nitch and they filled it. In my job you'd be suprised how easy it is to switch a noob from a supersport bike to the nekked/standard based on something as simple as the cost of the insurance. The EX250/500 were great choices but until the 250 update they looked dated and people like the looks of the big brother bikes. Yamaha wasn't going to bring back the SecaII but what they did bring to the table was a good execution of function, affordability and versatility.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #28
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
I'm not saying it's smart. It's just a marketing thing that they've picked up on. Since we Americans are too cool to start on 35hp bikes we don't get 35hp bikes. All those cool bikes that never see the light of day here get left out because marketing to the "bigger, better, faster" Americans they know we won't buy them. Why don't we buy them. Bad marketing and even worse licensing standards. I've said before that MIC and the AMA should put out regular PSA commercials encouraging noobs to start in class and progress through bikes based on hp tiering. It won't happen any time soon, but if it did the generations of motorcylist coming up may be better informed and prepared than we were when we started riding.
Yamaha sees a nitch and they filled it. In my job you'd be suprised how easy it is to switch a noob from a supersport bike to the nekked/standard based on something as simple as the cost of the insurance. The EX250/500 were great choices but until the 250 update they looked dated and people like the looks of the big brother bikes. Yamaha wasn't going to bring back the SecaII but what they did bring to the table was a good execution of function, affordability and versatility.
nono i agree. it wasn't me saying you were endorsing it, problem is you're right. Pretty soon we're going to be left with little to nothing below 100hp except the big harleys of course

There really are few good beginners bikes. Atleast in the US. I don't know sometimes i wish we had tiered licensing.

Last edited by newagetwotone : 02-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #29
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
There really are few good beginners bikes. Atleast in the US. I don't know sometimes i wish we had tiered licensing.
Well, I know that's not the popular opinion among motorcycle riders here in the US of A. Very likely, under the new administration, the US will follow the EU lead of tiered licensing.

IMHO, we don't need another law to restrict motorcycle riding. We need a culture shift that encourages people taking responsibility for their own actions. We don't have that anymore. It's always someone else's fault. This is in large part due to our litigious legal system (sorry, Sachi).
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #30
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

I, as an insurance agent, believe tiered licensing would work. But I, also, believe that we wouldn't need it if we just promoted the idea of motorcycling a different way. That's where you put those AMA and MIC dues to work and let the industry help guide the sales. It'd work given time.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.

Last edited by acecycleins : 02-16-2009 at 07:59 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off