Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
jftoast
Registered Member

Default Help on deciding new bike

I have been riding a GS500F for a year now and i think it is time for me to move up. I am trying to decide between Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSX-R1000 or Buell 1125R. Not really into Yamaha's that is why they aren't on there.

Any input would be helpful.
jftoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftoast View Post
I have been riding a GS500F for a year now and i think it is time for me to move up. I am trying to decide between Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSX-R1000 or Buell 1125R. Not really into Yamaha's that is why they aren't on there.

Any input would be helpful.
The important question is not WHAT bike but, rather, WHY do you think it's time to move up?

The GS500F is a nice bike and I doubt you can use all of it's capabilities yet. If you insist on moving up, then please consider the new class of Super Sport bikes (600-675 cc). The GS500F makes, what, 50+ hp. The new supersports make 100+ hp.

Bikes to consider: Suzuki SV650S, Buell CityX, Honda 599, Buell XB9S

If you absolutely "must have" a thou' (1000 cc), than I would recommend the GSX-R because it has the A/B/C modes and you could use that to help shorten the learning curve.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
jftoast
Registered Member

Sorry, I guess I made it sound like that was my first bike. I had a Hyosung GT 650R before the GS500F and I have ridden my friends SV650. That is why I want to move up to the 1000cc range. I am leaning more towards the Buell just because there are so many honda and suzuki bikes out there already, don't really see that many buell's. I have ridden the honda and suzuki and find the suzuki more comfortable but i haven't gotten the chance to see how the buell feels.
jftoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The SV650 and GT 650 are mild bikes. Going to a 600 cc inline 4 makes a hel1 of a lot more sense than getting a liter bike.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftoast View Post
...I had a Hyosung GT 650R before the GS500F and I have ridden my friends SV650. That is why I want to move up to the 1000cc range. I am leaning more towards the Buell just because there are so many honda and suzuki bikes out there already...
Comfort (i.e. you feeling comfortable with the bike) is a key factor in success. I'm tall and thought the new Buell rocks for taller riders.

I would say again, don't overlook the new class of 600's. They are meaner than ever. Check out the MO review on the new Kawasaki 600:

American Ride documentary needs footage

If you want something unique, check out the updated Triumph Daytona 675 - three shots of hard-core liquor. You will never be able to outride the capabilities of the 675. Just think how cool it'll be to blow by your mates on their thou's while you're on your 675!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

jft,

Mentioning the GSXR and CBR 1000's in the same paragraph as a Buell (even the 1125) indicates to me that you need to do some more research.

You can go to the Buell dealer (Pensacola or Dothan) and get a test ride. I'd call first, to make sure they have a Demo bike.

If it's 'different' you want, go look at the Triumphs. D&D in Pensacola is closest for you.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Why not one of the air cooled Buells?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"That is why I want to move up to the 1000cc range. "

Didn't catch that reason. So you are so good and fast now you need at least 1000cc's to display all that skill? Those bikes arr for the very skilled and very mature rider that can restrain himself on public roads.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Why not one of the air cooled Buells?
I rode an XB9S when they first came out. Loved it.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
If you absolutely "must have" a thou' (1000 cc), than I would recommend the GSX-R because it has the A/B/C modes and you could use that to help shorten the learning curve.
Please DO NOT RECOMMEND this mode switch for a reason to buy a liter bike.
This is the reason so many people think they can ride a liter and slowly learn to handle it, which is an insane way to go about learning to ride a 1000cc bike. If you can't handle the full power of the bike with that switch your gripping onto with your right hand you have no business being on that bike.
It's advice like this that keeps my rates going through the roof? and your too?