Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftoast View Post
Sorry, I guess I made it sound like that was my first bike. I had a Hyosung GT 650R before the GS500F and I have ridden my friends SV650. That is why I want to move up to the 1000cc range. I am leaning more towards the Buell just because there are so many honda and suzuki bikes out there already, don't really see that many buell's. I have ridden the honda and suzuki and find the suzuki more comfortable but i haven't gotten the chance to see how the buell feels.
Listen the bottom line is, it takes years to develope the skill to avoid possible accidents on a bike with that much power. And please dont use the old line, Iam just going to be cruising and not going fast. Check insurance rates on the bike you choose and when your paying over a hundred bucks a month you'll know that it's because alot of riders think they are ready for that much and then realize at the last moment they are not ready for all that. If you make it over a year without so much as dropping it in a parking lot you might make it. Also if you choose a 600 supersport bike your skill will develope gradually at a more consistant pace.

Think of the liter bikes potential like this or any bike for that matter, from 0-100% ask yourself where you stack up with your skill level. Is it 50%, 75%. When these numbers arent even, it makes it alot more possible that your not going to beable to avoid an accident. And even if those numbers are even its no garantee. Think about it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Please DO NOT RECOMMEND this mode switch for a reason to buy a liter bike.
This is the reason so many people think they can ride a liter and slowly learn to handle it, which is an insane way to go about learning to ride a 1000cc bike.
As you can tell from my post, I do NOT recommend he buy a thou'.

However... some people are going to do what they are going to do. This is a fact of life. If he is hell-bent on buying a thou', than there is justification in buying one that has a means of controlling the engine output -- especially because people can't control the throttle output themselves. Think of it like this: "We don't recommend you jump off of a cliff, but if you are going to, we strongly urge you to use a parachute."

Lack of self control is what has gotten us Americans in the mess we are in right now.

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 02-09-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Why not one of the air cooled Buells?
I think he realizes that Dr. Pulley already has one.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
12er
Founding Member

SuperDuke, Tuono, XB etc. Get a bike you can take to the track yet still enjoy riding on the street. That and the twins are a little more manageable than the I4's. That is if you dont pick up a street tripple or a 675. Or gxr 750.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
As you can tell from my post, I do NOT recommend he buy a thou'.

If you absolutely "must have" a thou' (1000 cc), than I would recommend the GSX-R because it has the A/B/C modes and you could use that to help shorten the learning curve. (Huh, sounds like a recommendation to me?)

However... some people are going to do what they are going to do. This is a fact of life. If he is hell-bent on buying a thou', than there is justification in buying one that has a means of controlling the engine output -- especially because people can't control the throttle output themselves. Think of it like this: "We don't recommend you jump off of a cliff, but if you are going to, we strongly urge you to use a parachute."

[Moke1k]
Listen I realize people do what they want no matter what the smarter more experienced person(s) are telling them, but people also dont come on here too not get advice. Thinking the switch in question is a good way to handle and learn your way up from a Gs500 and a gt650 is perposterous. And giving that advice whole heartedly is proof you only have a basic understanding of how that switch really works. Either that, or you have no scruples. Might as well said Boss hog?

[Dr. Sprocket]
Lack of self control is what has gotten us Americans in the mess we are in right now.
[Moke1k]
So you condone that lack of self control, it seems? Oh love the analogy by the way, but its not even close?

Is this the kind of practice & pride you put into your riding, one that sees you purchasing a bike that has a switch so you arent really riding it? If you cant control the throttle with your right hand you have no business riding that bike. Period. And I havent even started with our insurance rates! Guess you dont really realize how much this crap cost you and I? And it starts with the Salesman, like me which is why I feel so strongly about this topic. I hear other salesman telling customers this same bogus infornmation.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-09-2009 at 06:07 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
[Moke1k]
So you condone that lack of self control, it seems? Oh love the analogy by the way, but its not even close?

Is this the kind of practice & pride you put into your riding, one that sees you purchasing a bike that has a switch so you arent really riding it? If you cant control the throttle with your right hand you have no business riding that bike. Period. And I havent even started with our insurance rates! Guess you dont really realize how much this crap cost you and I? And it starts with the Salesman, like me which is why I feel so strongly about this topic. I hear other salesman telling customers this same bogus infornmation.
Your logic, or lack thereof is astounding. I guess you're not in favor of traction control in professional racing? Since traction control is to help the riders not lose control because they "can't control the throttle", you are a better rider than them? Yeah... right...

Let's take it a step further, shall we? Slipper clutches. Those are for people who can't control their throttle, brake and gear position changes properly, right? Newbs. Okay, how about steering dampers? You only need a steering damper if you can't control your bike, right? What kind of bike do you have, Moke? GSX-R 1000? With what, a steering damper and slipper clutch? I guess you replaced those as soon as you got the bike, right? 'Cause we all know you have excellent skillz and don't have any need for these things.

Based on your logic, I'd guess you're in favor of tiered licensing, right?

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 02-09-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: clear as mud
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
jftoast
Registered Member

The reason i was going to get a 1000cc is because i didn't think there was that big of a difference between the sv650 and other 600cc bikes. But if there is I will only get a 600cc bike, no liter bike right now. So out of the gsxr 600, cbr600, and triumph 675 which is the better ride (pros and cons of each if you have any). Thanks
jftoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Better ride for what purpose?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Your logic, or lack thereof is astounding. I guess you're not in favor of traction control in professional racing? Since traction control is to help the riders not lose control because they "can't control the throttle", you are a better rider than them? Yeah... right...

Let's take it a step further, shall we? Slipper clutches. Those are for people who can't control their throttle, brake and gear position changes properly, right? Newbs. Okay, how about steering dampers? You only need a steering damper if you can't control your bike, right? What kind of bike do you have, Moke? GSX-R 1000? With what, a steering damper and slipper clutch? I guess you replaced those as soon as you got the bike, right? 'Cause we all know you have excellent skillz and don't have any need for these things.

Based on your logic, I'd guess you're in favor of tiered licensing, right?
No, I can see where MOKE is coming from here - gotta side with him on this one.

"If at First you don't succeed - then Skydiving is NOT for you........"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
pdad13
Founding Member

Yikes. There is a huge difference between bikes like the SV and the 600-class supersports. The thing is, you might not feel it that much under normal street riding conditions.

The inline-four 600s make big power well up in the rev range and don't make much torque at low revs. So that means you have to spin the engine up to get a lot of power, which isn't very convenient for street riding. These bikes are tuned more for track performance, although in the last couple of years, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki have made strides in making the powerbands slightly less top-heavy and fatter across the range. The standard Yamaha R6 is still very top-heavy and, by all accounts, is pretty gutless at anything below 10,000 RPM.

The Triumph Daytona 675 inline-three, by most accounts, is much better for street riding. It makes more power than the inline-four 600s everywhere except at the very top. I own one, although, I haven't ridden the most recent 600s, so I can't make a direct comparison to, for instance, the latest generation CBR600RR, GSX-R600 or the new ZX-6R, which are improved in power delivery. However, I can't imagine anyone needing more than the 675 offers for street riding and for the vast majority of riders on track. Many believe it's the best sportbike ever made and the motojournos have been unanimously giddy so far about the revised '09 version.

Then there's the other bike that many people think of as the perfect sportbike: the GSX-R 750. It's widely regarded as the perfect blend of power and handling and I doubt that just about any of us would be able to be as good as it.

The lastest generation literbikes are totally amazing but they're total overkill on the street. That's not to say that they're not fun and extremely capable in the right hands. But they can also be frustrating to ride in normal conditions. Imagine driving an F1 car on your commute every day. It's kind of like that. When you see a modern liter bike on the street, it's usually using about 25% of its capability, if that.

Out of the bikes you mentioned, the Buell 11125R is probably the most well-rounded. The new R1 might also be a better track and street bike. But really, I doubt you'll be able to put them to good use at this stage in your riding career.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote