Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Ducati Monster 1100 vs Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10627-ducati-monster-1100-vs-harley-davidson-xr1200-review.html)

Administrator 02-06-2009 06:02 PM

Ducati Monster 1100 vs Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review

Original Article:
Ducati Monster 1100 vs Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Ducati Monster 1100 vs Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 02-06-2009 07:08 PM

This is an excellent article! You found the perfect pair of bikes to compare; yet it's a comparo that never crossed my mind!

I've been a little critical of the XR; calling it a "warmed over Sportster," but you matched it up with that Ducati and I'll be damned, it didn't come out too bad. Yeah, the weight difference is a *****, but the fact that you'd even consider this comparo means big props to Harley.

Someday I'll own a Duc, and it will probably be a Monster. It's that trellis frame and single sided swingarm, the L-90 engine layout, and perhaps the only company that can match HD in the "Iconic" catagory.

Any chance of some performance numbers aside from the dyno charts? We can see the HD holds it's own on the charts, but what does that 130 lbs. mean on the street; the 0-60 and 1/4 mile department? Hopefully the HD isn't totally outclassed.

Back to the article, it needs a second read.

giganto 02-06-2009 10:33 PM

It aint heavy, its my..

Yowza!
As noted, good comparo..
For new toys from each factory, these would top the list for me.
The Hardley makes me want to buy like no time since rubber mounts came to the Sportys.
Think/feel i want one..with detach luggage. but then..
Nice article, what an awful line o work you guys are in.

Dr_Sprocket 02-07-2009 03:38 AM

Nice article, guys!

I was amazed listening to the difference in engine sound between these two bikes. To my ear, the Harley sounds meatier. Unfortunately, judging strictly by the numbers, it's hard to argue against the Duc.

MOKE1K 02-07-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 203760)
Any chance of some performance numbers aside from the dyno charts? We can see the HD holds it's own on the charts, but what does that 130 lbs. mean on the street; the 0-60 and 1/4 mile department? Hopefully the HD isn't totally outclassed.

I'd put my money on the Duck.

longride 02-07-2009 06:33 AM

"I've been a little critical of the XR; calling it a "warmed over Sportster," .."

And you were correct. Harley could have done so much better with this bike. A serious diet along with more oomph would have gotten my interest. I saw one at the dealer last week. I stand unimpressed. International Motorcycle Show is today, so I can go drool and see what I want for this year. Time for a new bike I think. Screw the recession.

ducatirdr 02-07-2009 06:59 AM

XR750 vs 1968 Daytona Harley

I wish that Harley would take this bike and make a Cal Rayborn Replica in much the same way Ducati made the Paul Smart. I would be first in line with a check for deposit.

See this picture and imagine a new a modern interpretation...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_43GdsLwo9N...n-Daytona2.jpg

Hey Harley-Davison produce the CR1200R Cal Rayborn 1200 Replica using this XR chassis PLEASE!

priday 02-07-2009 07:35 AM

If the Harley...

If the Harley was 150 lbs lighter, made 10 more HP, had fully adjustable suspension, huge cornering clearance, massive brakes, and cost a bit less....

...It would be a Buell Lightning.

It's AWESOME that this is driving some press for H-D, but they tested it against the wrong bike.

Rob

Buzglyd 02-07-2009 08:24 AM

The air-cooled Ducati motor is a gem.

It would have been interesting to compare the Buell as well, but that's been done already and the Sporty is the new kid on the block. Plus, I think the tone of the article was iconic motorcycles and both of these meet that description.

I would have helped out on this test for half a carne asada burrito.

Buzglyd 02-07-2009 08:26 AM

Hey, I clicked the little button under my name and got this:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

I was just wondering, what other kind of posts are there on MO?