Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
International Motorcycle Show is today, so I can go drool and see what I want for this year. Time for a new bike I think. Screw the recession.
At least once a day I have to talk myself out of going down and financing another bike. Something that's stupid fast and completely impractical. I just ask myself "what would Kirk charge to insure that thing?" and the urge passes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yes; correct; and we no longer have a food budget since we hired Gabriella, our new secretary/shop foreman/masseuse.
A useless post without pics.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priday View Post

but they tested it against the wrong bike.

Rob
Motor Cyclist tested the XR against the KTM Superduke R. Now THAT was the wrong bike; about the same weight difference (140 less for the Duke) but but 118hp for the KTM versus 77 for the XR? The KTM is a 10 second bike for crissakes.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Just cuz a racebike XL might possibly be around 400 lbs doesn't mean a street-legal one can be built by an OEM that meets EPA/DOT emissions regs. And just cuz a flat-tracker might be that light doesn't mean it would go around corners like the Duc. Those little frame tubes would allow plenty of flex in road conditions.

Some weight could be saved by doing away with the rubber engine mounts, but then the thing would be a paint shaker.

Also, I'd bet the Sporty motor weighs more than 130.
Regardless of what the Sporty motor weighs they could have made a much lighter, faster and better handling bike like Storz does, but that would take engineering and thought. Easier just to slap on a square tank, a fat rear end and call it a day.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #25
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default How sad but true

Quote:
Regardless of what the Sporty motor weighs they could have made a much lighter, faster and better handling bike like Storz does, but that would take engineering and thought. Easier just to slap on a square tank, a fat rear end and call it a day.
It's like one of those Maverick based Mustangs Ford built in the 80's. To the average Joe a hotrod, but to someone who knows, a stone.

I guess they leave it up to Buell for the light & fast department.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you think about it, the Sportster line is getting a bit stale. This bike could have been a platform to show off a new(read lighter & more powerful) motor that would end up in all of the Sportys eventually. I think that would have been the way to go with this bike.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
Duken4evr
Founding Member

That Duc is one of the coolest street/sport bikes out there. It is light, sounds great (especially with cans on it) and Duc's DS motor has been refined to the point of, well, refinement.

The Harley is a cool bike and HD did put quite a bit of effort into bringing the 1200 motor up to snuff via tuning, airbox and FI tweaks, but the poor middle aged party girl never stood a chance trying to dance with the young athletic model.

Still, experienced 40 year old somewhat pudgy party girls do have their charms

Thanks for the review!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #28
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Why is this bike so appealing.

Maybe it's because it was one of the first bikes I thought were cool as a kid. My little league baseball coach had a sportster that I literally drooled over. What is it about this bike that makes it so appealing? Somehow I feel guilty for liking this bike as much as I do. With all the improvements they have made it looks like it's another bike for the (will have one someday) list. The Ducati is my favourite of the two however.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Still, experienced 40 year old somewhat pudgy party girls do have their charms
LOL!

Glad you enjoyed the comparo, gang!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #30
Auphliam
Founding Member

Quote:
"I've been a little critical of the XR; calling it a "warmed over Sportster," .."

And you were correct. Harley could have done so much better with this bike. A serious diet along with more oomph would have gotten my interest. I saw one at the dealer last week. I stand unimpressed. International Motorcycle Show is today, so I can go drool and see what I want for this year. Time for a new bike I think. Screw the recession.
You know, I can't understand why HD insists on releasing these anemic Sportsters. A shade tree mechanic with a few bucks and a modicum of talent can squeeze big numbers out of the Sporty mill. I personally know 4 people that have 883 based Sportsters pushing near, at or above 100hp, and at thousands less than they would pay for this little piece of "exclusivity".

I like the comparo though. Good article guys.