Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Janne309
Registered Member

Default Need to help on choosing bikes -

Hi guys
I'm looking for a bigger bike to use in the city.
Due to some reasons, I have some choices: the CBR600, and GSX-R600 and FZ1.
I'd like to compare the Cbr600 to Fz1. I've never riden both of them. I like the sporty CBR but also like the FZ1 because I think the CBR might be hard to control in the crowded street, and so I look for the Fz1, but the FZ1 is 1000c as you all know. So I'm a bit confused
As my area is quite crowded most of the time, so I'd like to know about how these 2 bikes work at a low speed, about 30-40 kmph.
Your suggestions are very useful to me
Thanks for helping me
Janne309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I'm looking for a bigger bike to use in the city."

Getting a bigger bike for city work is like eating a bigger steak to lose weight. it is counterproductive. Smaller bikes work better for city riding for a variety of reasons. The Suzuki SV650 comes to mind here.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
SmokeU
Registered Member

Wee Strom would be great too. Or a 599, FZ6 or whatever they are, Versys(my fav), ER-6N, etc....
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Seriously, those bikes are really bad choices for lower speed city riding. You'd be much better off, better handling and just as quick, with a DRZ400SM. You'll also save a ton of $ that you can use to personalize the ergonomics.

And even then the 400 is overkill. A 250cc scooter would be just as good. None of the others would get you across town any quicker. May as well enjoy the storage capacity.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Lots of good choices here. His were all bad ones.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Janne309
Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestions and help , I really appreciate.
I have a smaller bike (125cc) for daily riding so I wont mind if the next bike is a little bit too much for the city. There aren't many choices in my area due to taxes and import rules so I don't have many choices here
I read some reviews about the CBR 600 said it is very nimble at low speed and kinda easier to control compare to other super-sports. Comparing to the FZ1 , which one is easier ? in your opinion
Thanks guys
Janne309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you're going to choose between a smaller engine (600cc) and a larger engine (1000cc) at slow speeds, like say in stop-and-go city traffic, the larger engine will usually put out a lot more heat. So, in general, you choose the bike with the smaller engine.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Janne- here is a list of your inner-city rides from the insurance guy:
Buell XB9, Suzuki SV650, Honda 599, Yamaha FZ6, Ducati Monster (any 600 series), Kawasaki Ninja650 (not the 600RR), Aprilia Shiver 750

Used, some of these can be had for under $4k easily. The Aprilia is new, but very cool and if you want a CVT bike then check out the Aprilia Mana850. You can store stuff in the fake tank (like your helmet).

I believe you are making a mistake thinking that the FZ1 would make a good inner-city bike. It's top heavy in slow traffic and really is designed to stay in that 6k+ rpm range. The bikes I listed are great inner-city bikes and will cost a lot less to insure than the FZ1.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

Any dual sport or SM is a dream come true in the city. Tall to see over traffic, narrow to squirt through and plenty of suspension for all the potholes. Light with wide bars make them easy to maneuver. Sport bike is a nightmare as low speed is not what they are made for in the least. And if someone backs in and knocks over your DS or SM your not out a dime most of the time. Maybe a broken clutch lever. If you dont plan on freeway, do yourself a favor and buy a cheaper Dual Sport or Super Motard.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
timbo813
Founding Member

You would be bored to death riding a cbr 600 or a FZ1 in the city. Both bikes are designed for much higher speeds. The cbr is going to be uncomfortable at low speeds due to the seating position. It also lacks torque at low RPM's which would be a pain in stop and go traffic. The FZ1 would be more comfy but it is a bigger heavier bike that is not as nimble. It also makes it's power up higher in the RPM range where you would probably never be in city riding. Also, it would be a huge jump in power from the 125cc bike you are riding now. Like others mentioned you might look at a super moto, sv650 (naked not the S version), ninja650R, versys, etc. Those are all great bikes that would be a more reasonable step up for you. A super moto would be the most fun around town but if you want to do any extended freeway riding it wouldn't be as good at the others on my list. If you are looking at the cbr because you think it looks cool check out the ninja650R.

Last edited by timbo813 : 02-06-2009 at 06:16 AM.
timbo813 is offline   Reply With Quote