Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Honda CBR600RR C-ABS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10496-2009-honda-cbr600rr-c-abs-review.html)

Administrator 01-26-2009 12:37 PM

2009 Honda CBR600RR C-ABS Review

Original Article:
2009 Honda CBR600RR C-ABS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Honda CBR600RR C-ABS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 01-26-2009 01:18 PM

Since it's on the bike on stock format is it legal in Daytona SportBike for the season? If I read the rules right- if it's available from the factory it should be allowed in race application. The Erion pilots will be absolutely fearless this season if that's the case.

Pete_Brissette 01-26-2009 03:12 PM

Maybe, probably, likely...

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 202446)
Since it's on the bike on stock format is it legal in Daytona SportBike for the season? If I read the rules right- if it's available from the factory it should be allowed in race application. The Erion pilots will be absolutely fearless this season if that's the case.

I'm not a die-hard follower of the whole racing scene (and who can be with all the changes?), but I know I heard it was being homologated. If that is for World Supersport, or AMA, I can't recall exactly what was said.

Nevertheless, if it doesn't happen this year or the next, it will soon after. A Honda staffer informed me that Europe Honda/press/etc are convinced that ABS will be mandatory in Europe in less than 5 years...

seruzawa 01-26-2009 06:10 PM

Soon we'll be watching radio controlled motorcycles runnning around the track. Imagine how safe that will be!

longride 01-26-2009 06:24 PM

"A Honda staffer informed me that Europe Honda/press/etc are convinced that ABS will be mandatory in Europe in less than 5 years..."

Ahhh, and what a grand time that will be in history!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the more I see the newest bikes, the more I like the older bikes. I guess if you buy into the ABS thing, you really better stick with it for the rest of your riding life. Any braking technique and feel you ever had will soon be gone and replaced with mashing the pedal and lever as hard as possible. All they need is an electronically controlled automatic trans on this bike and the job is complete. Yeeeeech.

jmdonald 01-26-2009 06:28 PM

Stellar

Another stellar review. I haven't been a real fan of ABS although I have tried the newer BMW version and think it is fine, meaning better than the last version.ABS does have advantages. This system looks to be something to consider. Now I have to figure out how to try it without buying one. Keep up the good work.

Hypnos7 01-26-2009 09:08 PM

Thank you for the clear explanation of how the C-ABS works; though, I would have also appreciated a short explanation why most ABS implementations require the extra clunky bits.

Also, while I do not doubt that Honda has re-created the feel of traditional brakes in this system, there is something less than satisfying about something so contrived. I would prefer an improvement in fundamental design rather than something "simulated." Then again, i think electronic ignition is contrived ...

Pete_Brissette 01-26-2009 10:29 PM

Thanks...

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypnos7 (Post 202514)
Thank you for the clear explanation of how the C-ABS works; though, I would have also appreciated a short explanation why most ABS implementations require the extra clunky bits.

Also, while I do not doubt that Honda has re-created the feel of traditional brakes in this system, there is something less than satisfying about something so contrived. I would prefer an improvement in fundamental design rather than something "simulated." Then again, i think electronic ignition is contrived ...

Thanks for the kudos, Hypnos7.

It isn't so much ABS that's needs more components, as it is many of the current linked brake systems.

Because of the way linked brakes work, or at least Honda's, more parts are needed. The 3-piston calipers work in such away that only one caliper moves first, which then activates a secondary master cylinder that eventually moves fluid to the rear caliper, activating it. Then if you apply only the rear caliper, a delay valve is needed to, well, delay some of the pressure now going to the front caliper in order to mitigate some front-end dive, like when you clamp down of your typical front front. That's a thumbnail sketch of linked systems; there are other parts, and systems will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

ABS systems do often use other components too, like some type of pump that helps keep fluid pressure at the ready, as merely opening and closing valves in the valve unit may not allow sufficient pressure to build fast enough when pressure is needed to reapply the brake.

I'm no brake design expert though, so don't take this as gospel, but rather as enough knowledge culled over the years to get the gist...

With Honda's new system all that's needed is a big brain to interpret how much pressure the rider wants to apply. The brain then tells a pressure modulator device how much fluid pressure to send to the calipers. And that's about it. This brain also acts as the ABS using that same pressure modulator. As well, the brain is really the "link" between both brake sets when it determines "combining" both brake sets at the same time is necessary.

Believe it or not, I could've transcribed far more intimate detail about how each part of C-ABS works, but then you as well as I would've been bored to tears, not finished reading, and I would've lost your kudos. :(

Here\'s one more neat tidbit: ABS has been around in some form, primarily on aircraft, since the late 1920s.

Hypnos7 01-27-2009 12:06 AM

Pete,

Thank you again! As for detail, I guess you can\'t please all readers all the time; I enjoy motorcycle.com because you folks go into some of the details in a way that non-experts can understand.

sarnali2 01-27-2009 07:14 AM

I\'m a big fan of ABS myself. I didn\'t care for the linked system on my BMW but the separate HD set up works well on wet roads. The chances of me riding an ABS CBR600 are pretty slim so I\'ll take your word for how they work. All in all I think they\'re a must have for me, I wouldn\'t own a cage without ABS and now I don\'t think I\'d have a primary ride without, a play bike w/o ABS would be fine but for the day in day out bump and grind I think it\'s a life saver.