Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Honda CBR600RR C-ABS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10496-2009-honda-cbr600rr-c-abs-review.html)

sarnali2 01-28-2009 10:21 PM

yeah yeah yeah you luddites talk a lot of sh*t, you'll be singing a different tune when some ass-hole cager drops the anchor in front of you during a wet freeway commute. I'll take my ABS over your skillfully applied threshold braking anytime thank you.

seruzawa 01-29-2009 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 202780)
yeah yeah yeah you luddites talk a lot of sh*t, you'll be singing a different tune when some ass-hole cager drops the anchor in front of you during a wet freeway commute. I'll take my ABS over your skillfully applied threshold braking anytime thank you.

I doubt that our friend MOKE spends much time practicing threshold braking in the wet. ABS is tailor made especially for wet environments.

Anyhow it's moot. For once Honda is ahead of the curve, since the govt will be mandating ABS for all bikes in a few years. That's gonna be a lot of fun for our DP riding friends..... hey wait, that's me!

longride 01-29-2009 06:32 AM

You got me on that one Sarnali! Never had THAT happen to me in 40 years on the road. I wonder how I will manage to stay on two wheels? I guess I have to hope and pray that it never happens to me!

longride 01-29-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 202745)
Again with the agreeing?! It's getting creepy...

Not my fault that MOKE is talking sense......but he is.

longride 01-29-2009 06:36 AM

"Learning threshold braking takes countless hours of dedicated practice, starting with a skilled instructor teaching you the technique."

I always thought the fun part of motorcycling is learning, practicing, and becoming a better rider. It's kind of something to be proud of, actually getting skilled at something. For 99.99% I guess it's all just a drudge.

"And it will be a checkbox on my list of stuff I'm looking for on my next bike."

Don't forget to check that box for the training wheel option so you don't accidently fall over, and then you don't have to practice put your feet down at stops too.

sarnali2 01-29-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 202796)
You got me on that one Sarnali! Never had THAT happen to me in 40 years on the road. I wonder how I will manage to stay on two wheels? I guess I have to hope and pray that it never happens to me!

Well I'm guessing you skillfully applied threshhold braking without even knowing it!

longride 01-29-2009 07:38 AM

The day I worry about falling down because I can't apply the brakes correctly is the day I quit riding, because at that point there are probably 100 other skills I can't do correctly either. Time to get off the road.

Kenneth_Moore 01-29-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 202794)
"Learning threshold braking takes countless hours of dedicated practice, starting with a skilled instructor teaching you the technique."

I always thought the fun part of motorcycling is learning, practicing, and becoming a better rider. It's kind of something to be proud of, actually getting skilled at something. For 99.99% I guess it's all just a drudge.

"And it will be a checkbox on my list of stuff I'm looking for on my next bike."

Don't forget to check that box for the training wheel option so you don't accidently fall over, and then you don't have to practice put your feet down at stops too.

Being smart enough to use all the cards in the deck means you get to win more. Clinging to the past may have a certain macho nostalgic cache, but it's never really appealed to me. I like progress.

longride 01-29-2009 07:50 AM

If you were really that smart, you wouldn't ride a motorcycle at all. Cars are much safer. I didn't know skilled braking was a 'nostalgic, macho thing'. I guess I learn something new every day from you. Like I said, get the training wheel option so you don't fall down. All in the name of 'progress' you know. Us 'nostalgic macho guys' won't be getting the new training wheel option though.

sarnali2 01-29-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 202810)
Being smart enough to use all the cards in the deck means you get to win more. Clinging to the past may have a certain macho nostalgic cache, but it's never really appealed to me. I like progress.

Ditto...Having ABS doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't practice braking anymore, the difference is that if you go over the line the ABS kicks in instead of locking up.

I have no problem with carbs or points, kickstarters or throttle cables for that matter. It sure is nice though to hit the electric foot and have the bike chug away on a nice smooth idle while I gear up, then motor away without a bunch of spitting and farting for the next 10 miles until it's warmed up.

Honestly if I had the option to buy a brand new Shovelhead FLH and the '08 I have now I'd get the Shovel just because get under your skin, the '08 is definately a better bike though and I'm happy as a clam to ride it.