Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Did Honda ever consider putting a parachute on the back of the bike? That's be pretty neat; a big truck turns left in front of you and you "dump the laundry." Ejection seats are another underutilized technology for motorcycles.

Pete, any gyroscopes on that bike? Intertial guidance systems? GPS managed autopilots? What are they waiting for, the 21st century?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #22
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Oh come on, nuts must be worth something. A urologist I know once told me that after he removes 'em, he uses them for fish bait. Makes sense to me.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Imo, the plain simple fact is you get no real-feel experience with abs. You never get to judge when too much brake is going to put you on your arse. Thats alot of knowledge you don't experience with abs. The front tire is a delicate thing, and when you ask too much of it, it can fold in an instant! Being able to gauge that with your front brakes is everything in street survival, and racing.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Imo, the plain simple fact is you get no real-feel experience with abs. You never get to judge when too much brake is going to put you on your arse. Thats alot of knowledge you don't experience with abs. The front tire is a delicate thing, and when you ask too much of it, it can fold in an instant! Being able to gauge that with your front brakes is everything in street survival, and racing.
Yeah, but a great set of abs (and pecs) can really attract a Beach Bunny.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll bet that's what the pilots said when they went to fly by wire. Then they went out and got shot down.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"You never get to judge when too much brake is going to put you on your arse. Thats alot of knowledge you don't experience with abs."

100% correct. If mashing the brakes is your thing, ABS is for you. No skill, no feel, no learning involved. Sounds tailor made for the modern American.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #27
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"You never get to judge when too much brake is going to put you on your arse. Thats alot of knowledge you don't experience with abs."

100% correct. If mashing the brakes is your thing, ABS is for you. No skill, no feel, no learning involved. Sounds tailor made for the modern American.
Again with the agreeing?! It's getting creepy...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The alternative to ABS is threshold braking. Learning threshold braking takes countless hours of dedicated practice, starting with a skilled instructor teaching you the technique. Let's say you become proficient at it. How many more hours of dedicated, focused practice will it take for a rider to actually use the technique in an emergency braking situation? You aren't thinking when the F100 left turns in front of you...it has to be pure muscle memory. Hell, most riders can't even get good at using the front brake instead of jamming their foot on the right side pedal. Thus we have linked brakes. You're right, ABS is perfect for 99.99% of riders, American or otherwise. If Suzook had offered it on the DL1000, I would have paid for it. And it will be a checkbox on my list of stuff I'm looking for on my next bike.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
The front tire is a delicate thing, and when you ask too much of it, it can fold in an instant!
Did you know that the real chicken strip is on your front tire?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #30
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Fold that front tire often enough and you can wear off the chicken strip right to the rim! Go MOKE!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote