Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10484-2009-kawasaki-klx250sf-review.html)

MOKE1K 01-24-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 202280)
The only problem I see is that the difference in financing the Kwack250 vs the Zooker 400 is only about $25 per month. Yamaha's pricing will probably ensure that all their 250s gather dust in the showroom. No way would I pay the same for their 250 over Zooker's 400.

The DR650 is about the same price as the Kwacker 250 as well. Ouch! Yeah I know it's old but still.....

Yeah, as much as your making sence and I agree with you:eek:, that DR650 will sit longer than any of my
250cc motards. It always does, every year.

Dr_Sprocket 01-24-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 202314)
I just wished they would update it? Maybe a little fuel injection, cast aluminum frame possibly.

If Suzuki did that, it would cause the price to go up, reducing its comparative price advantage.

MOKE1K 01-24-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 202288)
I wish they would put out a 650. Been looking at craigslist at some plated xr650SM's that people have converted. Then the wife lost her gig... Dang...

650? Why not the 450? All they would have to do is give it the tires and rims and new forks.

Kevin_Duke 01-24-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 202314)
I just wished they would update it? Maybe a little fuel injection, cast aluminum frame possibly.

And then it would be like the WR250X, nearly $1000 more.

And adapting a 450cc MX motor for street use isn't so simple. Even more than meeting emissions regulations, it would be tough to meet durability requirements. Ask any 4-stroke MX rider about the cost and frequency of rebuilds. A street rider wouldn't put up with that, nor could the OEMs be liable for the inevitable engine failures causes by the different stresses of street conditions (like a 70-mph cruise on the highway, etc) .

However, I sure hope at least one manu tweaks its 450 to create a cool (and durable) street supermoto.

MOKE1K 01-24-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 202330)
And then it would be like the WR250X, nearly $1000 more.

And adapting a 450cc MX motor for street use isn't so simple. Even more than meeting emissions regulations, it would be tough to meet durability requirements. Ask any 4-stroke MX rider about the cost and frequency of rebuilds. A street rider wouldn't put up with that, nor could the OEMs be liable for the inevitable engine failures causes by the different stresses of street conditions (like a 70-mph cruise on the highway, etc) .

However, I sure hope at least one manu tweaks its 450 to create a cool (and durable) street supermoto.

Updating always cost more, no doubt. But adapting the 450cc I dont think would drive cost too much, heck look at all the motard adapted 450cc that run tracks with long straights.

12er 01-24-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 202325)
650? Why not the 450? All they would have to do is give it the tires and rims and new forks.

I'm 6'6 300, there is no replacement for displacement. Then as mentioned above I dont want a high strung, frequently rebuilt engine for the street. I wont be racing it, just riding the wheels off it. So a 650 can have some beans and longevity. Loved my '00 KLR that I kitted for the street but that cost an extra 2k and some faith in the unknown, without changing the hoops (add another grand + onto the tab). While looking tiny under me I really dig the Versys as its the closest thing to what I would like for a run about / play bike being there isnt a 650 sm for a reasonable price to be had. While I love my K12RS the 600lbs doesnt scream run around town, and while out playing I cant back it in nor just fling it in like I did on the KLR. Would love a KTM 690smc but they are a bit too pricey, $9k? Ouch.

12er 01-24-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 202294)
It's clearly time to start recommending more choices than the just the cliche Ninja 250 for the new riders. Fonz did a good job laying out how well this genre of bikes fits new rider requirements. The clean design, the impression of simplicity; it looks unbreakable. If I were in the store with Dad looking for bike #1, I'd be all over this. Or one very much like it.

I hear ya, with the long gone death of the xt350 there was a major hole between a XT250 and the 650's. Now with more factory sm's ready to roll if your tall enough and light enough they are great to start on. I could do without the crack splitter seats though.

The_AirHawk 01-24-2009 11:45 PM

The man is a F'n Bigfoot I tellya. A F'n BIGfoot........

Duken4evr 01-25-2009 01:28 PM

Hot cheapsake tip for the DRZ400 is to open up the airbox and replace the tiny stock 36mm CV carb with a 40mm CV from the KLR 650 and to put a pipe on it. This adds quite a bit of power. Of course the 39mm FCR carb from the off road model is really the way to go, but they cost over $500. Used KLR carbs are usually well under $100.

Suzuki could just add a 6th speed, 40mm CV carb and a larger headpipe on the exhaust (the S and SM current stockers are tiny) and the DRZ is updated and good to go on the cheap. Do it Suzuki. Unstrangle the current DRZ. Almost 10 more hp reside in the darn thing with breathing updates that really don't cost anything...

Dr_Sprocket 01-25-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 202375)
Suzuki could just add a 6th speed, 40mm CV carb and a larger headpipe on the exhaust (the S and SM current stockers are tiny) and the DRZ is updated and good to go on the cheap. Do it Suzuki. Unstrangle the current DRZ. Almost 10 more hp reside in the darn thing with breathing updates that really don't cost anything...

If they were to do that, then it would be hard to argue against the DR-Z400SM as the perfect starter bike or perfect commuter bike, for that matter.