Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Yamaha XJ6 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10477-2009-yamaha-xj6.html)

Administrator 01-22-2009 02:59 PM

2009 Yamaha XJ6 & XJ6 Diversion Review

Original Article:
2009 Yamaha XJ6 & XJ6 Diversion Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Yamaha XJ6 & XJ6 Diversion Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 01-22-2009 03:11 PM

Neat little bike. Funny how the Buell's exhaust can design got copied on a lot of Japanese bikes, I always though that was the least appealing aspect of the Buell myself, like a big cylindrical wart.

XJ6, sounds like a Jaguar.

sfcdjevans 01-22-2009 03:35 PM

Buellish exhaust=no center stand. My interest wains.

sachiwilson 01-22-2009 03:41 PM

My need for a center stand disappeared once I bought a rear wheel stand.

sfcdjevans 01-22-2009 04:08 PM

How do you pack that? I know there's several little gadget thingies to use when traveling. It was just so nice the last time I plugged the rear 660 miles from home, in a field. I carry a bicycle hand pump too so maybe I'm just not right.

sachiwilson 01-22-2009 04:56 PM

Oh, I just use it when I'm at home! It's huge. I also got a ScottOiler so I don't need to lift the wheel for lubing on the road.

MOKE1K 01-22-2009 06:34 PM

Cool looking without the fairing amazing what a couple of scoops and a smaller headlight will do. As usual we dont get one?

acecycleins 01-23-2009 05:22 AM

Here's your "why is it?" question of the day:
If we know these are good values for "learners" and if the manufacturers know these are good bikes for "learners" why not sell them here? They sell them in decent numbers in Europe, but they won't try to market them here.
I know they've brought in smaller cc bikes in the past, but did you ever see anything in the way of decent advertising for them?
You can sell anything in this country if you market it right. Why is it not possible to market bikes for beginners and do something like HD does with the Sporty buyback? If you encourage learning in steps the dumbm@sses will actually do as suggested and learn in steps.
If it's too hard to adjust the the licensing laws state to state to force people to step up then hammer the marketing and get people thinking that it's a good idea. Incentive of trade-in deals wouldn't hurt that idea, either.
Most of these guys make killer little machines that never see the light of day on US shores. The reason is because the OEMs think they won't sell. Well, if you bring them but don't market them then your're d@mn right they won't sell. I'd say that this is where you get the AMA and MIC together and start doing public service commercials as an introduction to new riders. What a cheap way to market new products.

longride 01-23-2009 05:30 AM

My guess is that the reason thow small bikes sell in Yurup for two reasons. One is because of the tiered licensing they have there. If they had that here, there would be plenty of starter bikes available, because people that wanted to get their 'first bike' would have to buy a small one. Second, the stupidly high price of gas there that pays for their 'free' health care forces many to look at MPG rather than performance for the numero uno reason for ownership. We don't have that here. Nothing and nobody is going to tell the average American he can't have the biggest or the fastest right out of the gate unless we get a tier system here.

MOKE1K 01-23-2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 202197)
Here's your "why is it?" question of the day:
If we know these are good values for "learners" and if the manufacturers know these are good bikes for "learners" why not sell them here? They sell them in decent numbers in Europe, but they won't try to market them here.
I know they've brought in smaller cc bikes in the past, but did you ever see anything in the way of decent advertising for them?
You can sell anything in this country if you market it right. Why is it not possible to market bikes for beginners and do something like HD does with the Sporty buyback? If you encourage learning in steps the dumbm@sses will actually do as suggested and learn in steps.
If it's too hard to adjust the the licensing laws state to state to force people to step up then hammer the marketing and get people thinking that it's a good idea. Incentive of trade-in deals wouldn't hurt that idea, either.
Most of these guys make killer little machines that never see the light of day on US shores. The reason is because the OEMs think they won't sell. Well, if you bring them but don't market them then your're d@mn right they won't sell. I'd say that this is where you get the AMA and MIC together and start doing public service commercials as an introduction to new riders. What a cheap way to market new products.

In a nutshell,...(redneck voice)Dang it, Iam an American, I need the biggest #*%!ing Bike you got. I ain't pulling up to the Burger Barn with no dam Six hunderd? My boy's all ride Busas? And I'm gone look like some idiot? @%#! that!

Zx400 / gsxr400 / cbr400rr / yzf125 / the list goes on.