Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

I recently saw a rider who had de-faired his FZ6 (Aluminum framed model). It was much more attractive than the standard, faired version.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
In a nutshell,...(redneck voice)Dang it, Iam an American, I need the biggest #*%!ing Bike you got. I ain't pulling up to the Burger Barn with no dam Six hunderd? My boy's all ride Busas? And I'm gone look like some idiot? @%#! that!

Zx400 / gsxr400 / cbr400rr / yzf125 /
Well, if you are going to blame the buying public, than you also have to lay some blame at the sales force of the dealerships. I have seen time and again salesmen insinuating that the bigger bike is always better.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

On top of that, from a marketing and advertising perspective, these bike are usually priced quite closely or the same to more powerful bikes.

For example, the FZ6R is only $200 cheaper than the FZ6. What is the motivation for the buyer to pick the bike that appears to offer less for nearly the same money?

Look at the excerpt from this review:
"For me, the XJ6 only appeals in the scenario where I couldn’t afford riding anything else. The level of finish and design adds value to what essentially is a budget entry-level motorcycle. I wouldn’t have to even test the XJ6 to see that it offers great value for money. But if I were looking, I would have been happy that I tested first because the XJ6 isn’t all that comfy for the touring part."

Yet, if this exact model came to the states, based on previous examples, it would be priced in at about $6,599 since it doesn't have the body work of the FZ6R. So, for $700 less, I get a bike that has less power and a potentially less comfortable ride than the slightly more expensive model. And what does $700 mean when it comes to financing?

Now if this model (or the FZ6R, in our case) was priced at $5999 the chances of success would be greater.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Well, if you are going to blame the buying public, than you also have to lay some blame at the sales force of the dealerships. I have seen time and again salesmen insinuating that the bigger bike is always better.
Yes, I know it's like my opinion is a dying bread. Why do you think I do what I do. Ultimately Iam trying to single handedly lower insurance cost, it seem's, by myself?

Hell theres guys here at MY dealer that will sell you a Busa, if you like? I hate em, and usually ask how many customers they have-had die on them, on their bikes.One here is up to three in the past 7yrs.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
This is the same logic I face everyday and have to over come with any rider,..Why shouldnt I just get the Gsxr750 its "only" 1200.00 more than the gsxr600.

That's when I reply, Cause youve only been riding your
EX500 for 8months? Doow?
That's the right answer, but that does not translate well when you try to market a model like this.

You are asking the consumer to pay the same, but get less. And that is a tough thing to do. If a model like this was stickered at $5999 you would probably have a far easier time convincing people.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
On top of that, from a marketing and advertising perspective, these bike are usually priced quite closely or the same to more powerful bikes.

For example, the FZ6R is only $200 cheaper than the FZ6. What is the motivation for the buyer to pick the bike that appears to offer less for nearly the same money?

Look at the excerpt from this review:
"For me, the XJ6 only appeals in the scenario where I couldn’t afford riding anything else. The level of finish and design adds value to what essentially is a budget entry-level motorcycle. I wouldn’t have to even test the XJ6 to see that it offers great value for money. But if I were looking, I would have been happy that I tested first because the XJ6 isn’t all that comfy for the touring part."

Yet, if this exact model came to the states, based on previous examples, it would be priced in at about $6,599 since it doesn't have the body work of the FZ6R. So, for $700 less, I get a bike that has less power and a potentially less comfortable ride than the slightly more expensive model. And what does $700 mean when it comes to financing?

Now if this model (or the FZ6R, in our case) was priced at $5999 the chances of success would be greater.
This is the same logic I face everyday and have to over come with any rider,..Why shouldnt I just get the Gsxr750 its "only" 1200.00 more than the gsxr600.

That's when I reply, Cause youve only been riding your
EX500 for 8months? Doow?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
That's the right answer, but that does not translate well when you try to market a model like this.

You are asking the consumer to pay the same, but get less. And that is a tough thing to do. If a model like this was stickered at $5999 you would probably have a far easier time convincing people.
Not as hard as you think, but yes it's odd. Go figure,
atleast Iam not in charge of marketing
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I ain't pulling up to the Burger Barn with no dam Six hunderd?
Moke, you've been in Flawda long enough to know the correct expession is: "no gawt dam six hunnert!"
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If I was in the market for a new gixxer, and it was a choice between a 600 and a 750 and the price wasn't at least a couple grand less, then I would buy the 750 and hope the A/B/C switch would help me learn to manage the power curve (I know, that's not what it's supposed to be used for).

My biggest gripe with the FZ6 and the FZ6R is their weight. If I wanted a more streetable Yamaha than an R6, I'd look at an R6S and figure out what I could mod on that for comfort (like changing the bars). Of course, its MSRP is $1400 more than the FZ6.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I can't place much blame on the dealers for that. In just about every category of product you can name Americans opt for the overkill. They demand it.

Only need a .38 Special? Gotta get a .454 Casull, Dude! Gotta get a gun that shoots through the intruder, the walls, your neighbors walls, your neighbors wife, etc etc.

Gonna spend all your time commuting in LA? Gotta get a Saleen Mustang, Dude! No wait! Need a HumV!

Speed limits are 80mph tops? Gotta be able to do 180, Dude!

Got two kids and need a house? Gotta have 5,000 sq ft, Dude!