Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Nice writeup Mr. Duke. It is good to hear there's something genuinely new in the sportbike world with the crossplane crank. I'm curious though about 2 things:

Underseat mufflers? With so many bikes going for mass centralization by putting the exhaust down low and toward the middle of the bike, were you surprised to see that on the new R1?

"I asked if there was the possibility of using a single-plane crankshaft arrangement in which the two paired pistons fire at the same time (instead of 180 degrees apart), similar to a project used a few years ago in the British Superbike championship on a Yamaha R1. That engine proved to work well in wet conditions, but it was soon outlawed by race organizers."

Why was this crankshaft/firing order outlawed?
The underseat exhaust was a surprise to us, too. After being the trendy way to do it (it makes some sense with V-Twin engines), OEMs have followed Buell's lead with under-engine exhaust. Yamaha limits the potentially negative effects on weight by using titanium mufflers.

The BSB engine was outlawed, from what I understand, mostly because of potential costs. By keeping the engines as close to stock as possible, the playing field is more even.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
Interesting that they said power was down on top. I wonder if the bike being tested was the US spec model. If so, then the softer top end is not surprising, since the test says the bike is down 6hp relative to Euro spec (bastards) If not, then the US spec is even softer, and that would be too bad.
We rode U.S.-spec bikes. Some other journos said they didn't think top-end power was worse than last year's bike. The dyno will tell the tale.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #23
ShamanWS6
Founding Member

A good friend of mine had one on order last year. I will await his comments, as his 05 R1 has gone 70K (with one Yamaha-warranteed head rebuild, mind) and looks barely any the worse for wear. He couldn't resist, even though he has repeatedly said he'd never sell his 05 (hey, he didn't trade it in last I heard).

I'll get a chance to ride it in the spring, see if it warrants a trade-in of my 750. I moved away from the big bore supersports a few years ago, but a really trick one might get me back into that fray again.
2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE #100)
2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE #100)
2008 KX 450F
2007 Tuono 1000R
http://www.trackfanatics.ca/
ShamanWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Expect a broader torque curve. Don't expect class-leading peak hp numbers.
Do you suspect it might be an issue at track's like Daytona, and Brainerd where the straight's and or banking's are very long? Did they bring any other Brand's for compairing top speed's? If not, is that
something normally not done at these types of test?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-20-2009 at 06:56 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Did they bring any other Brand's for compairing top speed's?
Probably not as this was only a review. You can expect the comparison in the annual Liter Bike Shootout.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #26
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"I asked if there was the possibility of using a single-plane crankshaft arrangement in which the two paired pistons fire at the same time (instead of 180 degrees apart), similar to a project used a few years ago in the British Superbike championship on a Yamaha R1. That engine proved to work well in wet conditions, but it was soon outlawed by race organizers."

Why was this crankshaft/firing order outlawed?
Homologation, same reason why the Wsbk Suzuki teams must retain the dual exhaust can's on the Suzuki's. They must stay as close to the stock configuration as possible. Which is why they also have a 10,000.00 dollar set of front forks mounted in place,... go figure?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Heady stuff indeed...

...I remember when tuners for flat track would alter the firing order on the 650 twin Yamaha to 270 degrees for the same reason.

Oops, Aretha Franklin is doing a 'scat' version of American the Beeyootiful right now, gotta go watch...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Do you suspect it might be an issue at track's like Daytona, and Brainerd where the straight's and or banking's are very long? Did they bring any other Brand's for compairing top speed's? If not, is that something normally not done at these types of test?
At the Daytona tire tests last fall, the new R1 was down substantially on top speeds, but those early bikes were nearly stock. If there is a place where the new R1 might struggle, it could be there, but don't count out a fully race-prepped Yamaha.

There were no other bikes to compare with the new R1 at the intro. It was just my seat-of-the-pants feeling that the bike isn't as strong up top as the feistiest literbikes. But, again, the advantages of the new motor definitely outweigh any possible shortcoming at peak power.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #29
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
There were no other bikes to compare with the new R1 at the intro. It was just my seat-of-the-pants feeling that the bike isn't as strong up top as the feistiest literbikes. But, again, the advantages of the new motor definitely outweigh any possible shortcoming at peak power.
I.E. - in a Race, the guy that crosses the finish-line FIRST is the Winner - not the guy with the "fastest" bike................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 01-20-2009 at 09:43 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #30
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
...I remember when tuners for flat track would alter the firing order on the 650 twin Yamaha to 270 degrees for the same reason.

Oops, Aretha Franklin is doing a 'scat' version of American the Beeyootiful right now, gotta go watch...
Yeah, watching ol Goergie leavin right now!