Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #61
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Bwahahhahhha...you gotta be kidding me?

My 1976 Civic had 175,000 miles on it when I traded it in for a Datsun pickup. It still looked and drove like a new car, and the only malfuction it ever had was a blown head gasket, when I drove it WFO from Palm Springs to Glendale and back when my girlfriend at the time forgot her luggage (?!).
The 76 civic was my first ride. Medium blue metallic with custom paint on the hood around the two air intakes. Some western spoker mags, it was stylin. I must have been one of the first "fast and the furious" (but with the 1200cc's its was more "slow and mildly irritated") Smoked like a two stroke due to the valve guides going early on it but still ran like a top (cv joints clicked around every turn). I destroyed that car, jumped quite well though. Speed shifting, jumping RR tracks and canal bridges out in the central valley. Stuffing it in reverse and spinning donuts. Flying down a wet leaf covered street in the fall and ripping the E. How I only have 5 tickets out of 31 times being pulled over still boggles the mind. 2 of us could pick up the back end and put it anywhere, 5 could just pick it up and walk off with it. Never knew how I'd find it after I parked it around friends. Back tire up on the sidewalk, spun 180 degrees, 90 degrees from the curb, sideways in the middle of the street... Great little car though. Saw it again in the early 90's long after I sold it, still going with new paint and a valve job apparently (lack of smoke). Ah memories of a reformed hoodlum.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #62
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I ever tell ya's about Greasey Gary and Jumbo John? they were two buds of mine back in the day. They worked (and lived) in Gary's aunts wrecking yard in Auburn in an old single wide...A classic Laurel and Hardy pair, Gary was 5 ft and 90 lbs at best while John was basically a sasquatch, around 6 1/2 feet tall and a good 400lbs. Niether one was overly concerned with personal hygene, laundry or even changing their clothes, they had a pair of beat to tears Honda 4's..a 750 and a 350 I believe and when we went riding you had to make sure they were behind you for obvious reasons..

The funniest thing was when they weren't on their bikes they drove this tiny yellow Honda car, one of the earliest ones and to see the two of them in there was like watching a roll of Pillsbury biscuits...you were just waiting for the doors to pop open and Jumbo John to come spilling out, funniest thing you ever saw I swear. I have to hand it to Honda though, with them two that car took a serious beating and never even hiccuped.

quite a deal for an early 70's car...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #63
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Old Hondas

Yeah, my Civic had so much blow-by that the little screen that went over the carb mouth looked like I'd been BBQ'n on it.

On another note about the bulletproof nature of old Hondas, I had a parts bike 150 Dreamcycle that sat in the backyard for about 5 years with the top end off it. The lower end was filled up with rainwater and I used it for a nut-bolt-screw-seat spring (the Dreamcycle had springs instead of foam under the seatcover)doner bike, and it was obviously never going to run again.

In the 12th grade in autoshop there was this American Indian girl named Kathy who owned a 150 that lunched the transmission. So I gave her my Dreamcycle, and she just cleaned up the motor and poured the water out of the crankcase., bolted her top end on it, and it ran like a top.

Kathy's nickname was "Bunny" if you catch my drift. And yes she could, just like one.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #64
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
What don't you guys like about the Raider? I think it's deffinatly better looking than this Honda, by a long shot!
Everything.

I know you've seen them since you work at a dealership, but dude, take a good look. Apparently, Starmaha told each engineering group (engine, frame, bodywork, exhaust, etc.) to go off and design a cliche chopper component. Then they all got together and assembled them while drunk and blindfolded. As ill-timed as this Honda is, it's lightyears better looking than the Raider.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #65
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The price point of these most of new 250 class supermoto's are a promotional activity for Suzuki's DRZ400SM.

Another point in Suzuki's favor is that you get the tried and true DP engine and not one of these new MX based 4-poppers with short service lives between rebuilds.
The KLX and WR engines have no relation to any of those manu's MX bikes. They are relatively low stressed and should prove to be fairly durable.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #66
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Everything.

I know you've seen them since you work at a dealership, but dude, take a good look. Apparently, Starmaha told each engineering group (engine, frame, bodywork, exhaust, etc.) to go off and design a cliche chopper component. Then they all got together and assembled them while drunk and blindfolded. As ill-timed as this Honda is, it's lightyears better looking than the Raider.
I will admit after taking a closer look, the Honda does'nt seem too bad, if your into that kind of bike. Which is cool don't get me wrong. But have you ridden the Raider?

Sure it's a copy cat, sometimes I think people don't realize that's what they do.(Japanese Manufactures) Take an existing design and redo it, redesign it, and make it better. Imo that's what the Big Four do so well. It looks like a Harley but is cheaper,faster,handles better, and in most cases it's more reliable.I guess my mind is clouded by how good it ride's even with a rake, yuck!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #67
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
I will admit after taking a closer look, the Honda does'nt seem too bad, if your into that kind of bike. Which is cool don't get me wrong. But have you ridden the Raider?

Sure it's a copy cat, sometimes I think people don't realize that's what they do.(Japanese Manufactures) Take an existing design and redo it, redesign it, and make it better. Imo that's what the Big Four do so well. It looks like a Harley but is cheaper,faster,handles better, and in most cases it's more reliable.I guess my mind is clouded by how good it ride's even with a rake, yuck!
I do not own a Harley and probably never will. But the Raider does not look like a Harley. From a design perspective, the Raider is thicker looking and has a more heavy handed layout. As do most Japanese cruisers (which I have owned several, specifically Yamaha). They have a plastic look to them even when the material in question isn't plastic.

The entire design of Japanese cruiser usually seem to lack certain details and personality that Victory and Harley seem to be able to achieve.

That doesn't mean they are of poor quality or handle badly.

The one thing I can say about this Honda is that it does not (at least in the photos) look like a Japanese cruiser. It has that thin sheet metal look that custom jobs, and some Harleys and Victories, have.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #68
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Take an existing design and redo it, redesign it, and make it better. Imo that's what the Big Four do so well. It looks like a Harley but is cheaper,faster,handles better, and in most cases it's more reliable.I guess my mind is clouded by how good it ride's even with a rake, yuck!"

And no matter how much they wish it to be so, it still ain't a Harley!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Take an existing design and redo it, redesign it, and make it better. Imo that's what the Big Four do so well. It looks like a Harley but is cheaper,faster,handles better, and in most cases it's more reliable.I guess my mind is clouded by how good it ride's even with a rake, yuck!"

And no matter how much they wish it to be so, it still ain't a Harley!
Well, It's the same price as a Dyna-Glide and I doubt it's faster or handles better... just look at the rake. Looks like a flexy flyer. Reliability? Is that old canard still circulating? I've had more Hondas (2) blow up under me than Harleys. And if you do manage to blow a Harley up you don't have to throw it away. Cripes, how many times has your Knuckle blown up do ya think?

Nah. If I had to chose it'd be a Dyna, hands down over the Honda. 'Course given an open choice it'd be a Tiger but that's another subject altogether.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #70
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
But have you ridden the Raider?
Even Klazy Ken has some standards. I'm sure there are plenty of butt-ugly chicks out there who can suck the chrome off an exhaust pipe. I'm not going to find out.