Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 Streetfighters Shootout: Aprilia Tuono 1000 R, Buell 1125CR, Triumph Speed Triple

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//shoot-outs/2009-streetfighters-shootout-aprilia-tuono-1000-r-buell-1125cr-triumph-speed-triple-87798.html">2009 Streetfighters Shootout: Aprilia Tuono 1000 R, Buell 1125CR, Triumph Speed Triple</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Streetfighters Shootout: Aprilia Tuono 1000 R, Buell 1125CR, Triumph Speed Triple in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Lobster is the perfect description for the reddish buell. Without that huge fairing the radiator skins look ridiculous. Still love them bug eyes though. Any Idea on how the Superduke would fit in? I wanted the entire KTM display at the IMS.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

The SIII is much more in line with my current fitness level. I like the Aprilia but it felt cramped for my fat a$$. I have not ridden the Cr but have been on the 1125. The machine I rode had a weird flat spot in it that made it seem as though it wasn't delivering fuel properly. Could have been a freak thing, but still. In the end I'd rather buy a two or three yr old 1050 and slap on a power commander and zard exhaust. Happiness for under $8k.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
ShamanWS6
Founding Member

I picked up a 2007 this fall, trading in my 1050 Sprint ST.

I can honestly say this is the most fun bike I may ever have slung a leg over, and I've owned and ridden a lot of great bikes. As an example, it shares the garage with an 06 GSX-R 750 (bought new and two Deal's Gap trips later) which replaced two GSX-R 1000s that preceded it.

It's a fantastic, astoundingly capable bike. I highly recommend it to anyone and will give it a sound recommendation over the Triumph or the Buell for this reason: you can take it to track days or ultimately twisty roads like Deal's Gap and it will never tie itself in knots or let you down when your skill could take you further, because it is based off decades of Aprilia's racing bikes and supersports. Triumph's "Street Triple" 675R is in some ways more of a competitor to the Tuono.

However, if you are a 100&#37; street rider who likes your bike a little lazy, I can't not recommend the Triple, either. The 1050 is a rough gem of a motor with surprising and hilarious torque - but more importantly from my standpoint, the updates that Triumph has done in 2008 and 2009 make the bike a complete and well-rounded package. You'd have been sorely disappointed with the 2005 and 2006 models with the niggling little problems as I was with my Sprint (brakes being the worst of the issues), and the 2007 hadn't yet received the new brakes. The 09 is a good street package, no doubt.

That's all I've got to say for the moment, hope I re-affirmed what MO had to say.

2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE #100)
2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE #100)
2008 KX 450F
2007 Tuono 1000R
http://www.trackfanatics.ca/

Last edited by ShamanWS6; 01-10-2009 at 09:15 AM..
ShamanWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
nesbit
Founding Member

Lightbulb Another Fly in the Ointment

Hey Brissette: Really nice article, but y in the world would U now test 3 bikes in the same price range? Couldn't U have included a 1098R so U could really skew this comparo like U did in the Luxury Touring Shootout?
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbit View Post
Hey Brissette: Really nice article, but y in the world would U now test 3 bikes in the same price range? Couldn't U have included a 1098R so U could really skew this comparo like U did in the Luxury Touring Shootout?
I can almost hear Pete slamming his head against his desk.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I can almost hear Pete slamming his head against his desk.
Well, Pete could have just dialed the "Test-BikeOMatic" and gotten some 1098s.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well, Pete could have just dialed the "Test-BikeOMatic" and gotten some 1098s.
I think every test should include a Desmosedici. Every test!

Touring bikes: Desmosedici
DP bikes: Desmosedici
Scooters: Desmosedici

Come on MO! Get with it!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Fonzie - very Professional-looking video, you're really starting to outdo yourself on these things. Duke and Pete - you guys are obviously getting comfortable in front of a camera; Pete's even taken to "lounging" on the bikes!

The article was well-written; very informative, very entertaining. Wish that my own writing was as refined. One minor editorial-slipup: the "Chassis, handling, etc." section of the Buell review is repeated.

So far as the bikes go: I've yet to ride the current version of either the 'Priller or the S3, and haven't even thrown a leg across ANY of the new Bools - but I'm gonna cop rides on all three of these bikes this summer - that is now my New Year's Resolution...............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Once again an S3 is shown to be a best buy with a bullet. Plus, you get the added bonus nifty Triumph swag and can wear the leather jacket with the big Union Jack. I just wish Triumph would do a Union Jack on the tank.