Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Shinglejohn
Registered Member

Default I Hate winter...

I just want to ride. When im driving down the road i fantasize that i am riding, but it is icy and snowy and im sad and depressed.
I think im going to buy a triumph this spring. I like sidercars, im thinking about a Ural too, but i dont know anything about them other than that they are BMW-esque. SWMBO says shell roll in a sidecar but not on my bike...iurfiuhvifviubfipuhgfweiohgh.....winter sucks...homebrewin' is great. It just tastes better, like home cookin'.
Shinglejohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Head over to the Rounders web site and learn how to handle snow and ice. Seriously - we have guys up in Alaska and Canada who are still riding.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Seriously - we have guys up in Alaska and Canada who are still riding."

Fine, as long as they are riding in the middle of nowhere. John there lives in Cleveland. I said it before and it is worth repeating that anyone that rides on snow and ice in an urban area is a complete idiot. ShingleJohn, it is much better to be depressed than run over by a truck that can't stop. DO NOT listen to people that say it is safe. It isn't. Wait until the roads are dry and then ride. Don't be an idiot.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Mmmm. Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
...homebrewin' is great. It just tastes better, like home cookin'.
Yeah, I have a batch of 60-minute IPA to brew up. Gotta get crackin'.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post

Fine, as long as they are riding in the middle of nowhere. John there lives in Cleveland. I said it before and it is worth repeating that anyone that rides on snow and ice in an urban area is a complete idiot. ShingleJohn, it is much better to be depressed than run over by a truck that can't stop. DO NOT listen to people that say it is safe. It isn't. Wait until the roads are dry and then ride. Don't be an idiot.
Oh for heaven's sake, LR. No one is suggesting that he take stupid risks. The guys (and women) who ride through the winter choose bikes (usually small dp bikes) and tires to handle the snow and ice. They also stud their tires, so they have decent grip. They choose their routes so they don't have to worry much about traffic. And I should add that several of the riders who live in the northeast and midwest -- not exactly out in the stick -- are still riding.

Just because wimps like you won't pull your head out of your burrow until summer doesn't mean that people can't ride safely on ice and snow if they know how to do it.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post

I ride in winter all the time because I use a freaking snowmobile. Riding a bike on ice? You could put paddles and pontoons on and ride on water too, but since they make boats why would you? You could probably cobble some wings and a fan blade on and fly a motorcycle too, but since they make airplanes, why TF would you?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

My choice would be a Ural two-wheel drive, to be honest. I've always been fascinated by hacks!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I rode to work the other day. Left in the AM, dry roads, 41 degrees. When I got out of work, it had snowed, melted on the roads, 34 degrees. Rode home (slowly and safely). Driveway was ice. Yikes!!! The Weather Channel totally got that one wrong (was supposed to be 41 all day long).
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

First, you are suggesting he take stupid risks by riding on snow and ice in an urban area. Studded tires are illegal in most states, so your advice is not only dumb, but illegal also. There are no routes with no traffic in most urban areas. This is especially true in the snow and ice where people can't stop or go very well. It took me 45 minutes to go 3 miles a couple of weeks ago and I commute on streets with normal traffic. Please name a midwest rider that rides in Chicago in the snow and ice. I have never seen or heard of anyone that stupid, but please give me a name that I can look them up. I'd love to check out how much they ride and how much is bullshyt. So anyone that doesn't ride on snow and ice is a wimp? I guess I may be wimp, but I'm certainly not a f&cking idiot. Nobody 'knows how' to avoid a car that can't stop and is going to plow into them. Here, it doesn't matter what you can do, it only matters what other drivers can do, and they drive like shyt when the weather gets bad. To ShingleJohn, go get a dirt bike and find an off-road area to ride in the winter. DO NOT listen to any idiot that tells you that riding in the snow and ice in Cleveland is perfectly safe. You already know it isn't by watching the idiots run off the roads and into each other every time it snows. Just imagine one of them running into you, be smart and stay off the roads during those times. You may be called a wimp, but at least you won't be called into emergency surgery.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I rode to work the other day. Left in the AM, dry roads, 41 degrees. When I got out of work, it had snowed, melted on the roads, 34 degrees. Rode home (slowly and safely). Driveway was ice. Yikes!!! The Weather Channel totally got that one wrong (was supposed to be 41 all day long).
Don't even get me started on those weather gypsies. Over here on Tuesday and Wednesday there was a 40% chance of snow Tuesday night with 10% chance or rain on Wednesday morning.

What we got was 1.85 inches of freezing rain in a 36 hour period. Everything was covered in ice. This is the fifth time the weather tards have complete screwed it up since the week before Christmas.

Hell, with THAT type of track record I could be a meteorologist and just as accurate.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote