Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #31
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default So, I Went and Looked

From the Rounder's Website:

Feb 2007 - The roads were very icy and this is as far as I got (photo of bike in driveway) until it warmed above freezing and dried up a bit. I have no problem riding in the cold, but the conditions must be dry before venturing out into the below freezing weather. Riding in fresh snow is usually not a problem if one excercises due care, but I prefer using a smaller machine for those adventures.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Please tell me you either ski or snowboard.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Some cross country skiing, yes. We snowshoe too. Well, it's like snowshoe up the mountain, have lunch and then ski down. It's pretty cheap that way. Well actually it's free. Though the resorts try to convince people to pay to do the same thing on their property. I can still carry enough beer myself.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #34
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Since I was a parachute rigger in the navy I got to scam all kinds of cold weather gear out of the paraloft, so I had a dry suit, good for -20 degree North Atlantic wawa, wool long johns and layers of jackets and trench coats, with a pair of coveralls over the dry suit.

So anyway here I was bundled up and ready to ride in a Virginia Beach blizzard that was at about 15 degrees at the time. I was on my trusty CB100 Honda and made it all the way to the end of the main road out of NAS Oceana, and tried to stop. Hit some black ice and it dumped me into one of those big frozen ditches that run along next to the roads in VA.

Only took about 2 hours of grunting and cursing to get the waterlogged 100 out of the ditch, at which point I turned around, back to the base and swore never to try that again.

But then there was the time I had to ride the 100 up the 61 expressway in a blizzard so I wouldn't miss ships movement (Pier 9, Norfolk) When we got back after two weeks for a Carribex the honda was frozen to the lamp post I chained it to. Ah, memories...
Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #35
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Default Winter in Chicago

I walk through the snow to the bus. Sometimes I walk through the snow to the train, you know, just to mix it up. Sure beats skiing and snowmobiling. It's awesome here!

(And by walk, I mean trudge. Cursing.)
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #36
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Remember, heart rate should be 60-80% of max for aerobic benefit.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #37
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Since I was a parachute rigger in the navy I got to scam all kinds of cold weather gear out of the paraloft, so I had a dry suit, good for -20 degree North Atlantic wawa, wool long johns and layers of jackets and trench coats, with a pair of coveralls over the dry suit.

So anyway here I was bundled up and ready to ride in a Virginia Beach blizzard that was at about 15 degrees at the time. I was on my trusty CB100 Honda and made it all the way to the end of the main road out of NAS Oceana, and tried to stop. Hit some black ice and it dumped me into one of those big frozen ditches that run along next to the roads in VA.

Only took about 2 hours of grunting and cursing to get the waterlogged 100 out of the ditch, at which point I turned around, back to the base and swore never to try that again.

But then there was the time I had to ride the 100 up the 61 expressway in a blizzard so I wouldn't miss ships movement (Pier 9, Norfolk) When we got back after two weeks for a Carribex the honda was frozen to the lamp post I chained it to. Ah, memories...

I remember that winter. I had a '67 Beetle with snow tires I got for swampin' in N. Carolina...That lil' bastard was unstoppable, we had all kinds of fun zipping around in it.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #38
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I used to ski when I lived in WA. I don't do it much down here!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #39
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
From the Rounder's Website:

Feb 2007 - The roads were very icy and this is as far as I got (photo of bike in driveway) until it warmed above freezing and dried up a bit. I have no problem riding in the cold, but the conditions must be dry before venturing out into the below freezing weather. Riding in fresh snow is usually not a problem if one excercises due care, but I prefer using a smaller machine for those adventures.
Fantastic post, kenneth. Fantastic.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #40
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Fantastic post, kenneth. Fantastic.
Well I don't want to get in the middle of a Sachi/LR pissing match, but the idea of riding a street bike on public roads in ice and snow is ridiculous. Yes, I'm in FL, but I've traveled a lot, and even with 4 wheels those conditions are dangerous. The Rounders site clearly does not support the conclusion that people are operating bikes in those conditions, except for putzing around on dirt bikes in snowy fields.