Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
erm...Batman?
Yes........ I confess - you found me out - I'm The Batman...............

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 01-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Patrick,

Comfortable riding position, adjustable controls and footpegs. 'Comfortable' means neither having your @ss in the air, or sitting WAY back, with your feet in OB/GYN-style stirrups. Make the seat for a human to sit on, not for a photo shoot.

Ease of servicability, gas/diesel/fusion/battery/bat guano power notwithstanding.

Survivability. Honda is messing with an airbag. Good idea for frontal collisions. Not so great for the other 330 degrees of threat.

Servicability. Don't design a bike that costs thousands to fix when you drop it in a parking lot. Don't design some 'great' drive system. Stick with a chain or a belt. Oil and filter should be accessible without having to crawl under the bike.

OK, that's about 2 pence worth.

Oh, get your learners permit and ride. It'll help your design creativity a lot!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Battery technology

All of the post above (well, almost all) are good. The limitation to electric motorcycles is the battery technology. It may work for short city rides, but does no good to have a bike that can only go 80-100 miles max. on one charge, if you live further away or want to take the long way home.

If you want something really new and unique, try to fit a fuel cell into a bike. I haven't seen one of those yet.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm for large single cylinder TDI diesels in a conventional package, good for a minimum of 100 miles to the gallon. That or gas turbines

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'm for large single cylinder TDI diesels in a conventional package, good for a minimum of 100 miles to the gallon. That or gas turbines
Yeah, the military guys have a nice Kawi conversion to diesel. It's heavy, but they can cross Europe with one fill-up. I think gas-turbines are way underutilized. The issue with them in the past was the spin-up times and lack of engine braking. However, if you built one that drove an electric hybrid system, then you're getting somewhere. Leave it running at the same RPM charging; the batteries handle the fluctuations in power demands and regen at the wheels gives you "engine" braking.

So, how about those gyroscopes? I've been thinking about what's next for bike control for months; since all the hubbub about traction control came up in the journals and websites. You've got fly by wire throttle management, linked and/or ABS braking, steering dampers, etc. What's the next thing that's going to get the bike around the corner faster on the track, or safer on the street? I think that there is an application for either a gyroscope, or a device that can duplicate what a 'scope can do. My Mom has a car book from the 1960's that documents a HUGE motorcycle from the early 1900s. The thing sat six people, side by side in three rows of two, or something like that. The guy had big-ass gyros on either end; it could come to a complete stop on two wheels and just sit there without tipping. It had little outriggers that only came down for boarding/deboarding. Inertial guidance systems use a form of gyroscope so that a computer can figure out where it is in relation to a given point in space by calculating the forces and their vectors that have been exerted on the device. Why can't a bike have a system that will put the correct lean angles or other vectoring forces on it? The system could work standalone, or combine with a next-gen GPS.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 01-07-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yeah, the military guys have a nice Kawi conversion to diesel. It's heavy, but they can cross Europe with one fill-up. I think gas-turbines are way underutilized. The issue with them in the past was the spin-up times and lack of engine braking. However, if you built one that drove an electric hybrid system, then you're getting somewhere. Leave it running at the same RPM charging; the batteries handle the fluctuations in power demands and regen at the wheels gives you "engine" braking.

So, how about those gyroscopes? I've been thinking about what's next for bike control for months; since all the hubbub about traction control came up in the journals and websites. You've got fly by wire throttle management, linked and/or ABS braking, steering dampers, etc. What's the next thing that's going to get the bike around the corner faster on the track, or safer on the street? I think that there is an application for either a gyroscope, or a device that can duplicate what a 'scope can do. My Mom has a car book from the 1960's that documents a HUGE motorcycle from the early 1900s. The thing sat six people, side by side in three rows of two, or something like that. The guy had big-ass gyros on either end; it could come to a complete stop on two wheels and just sit there without tipping. It had little outriggers that only came down for boarding/deboarding. Inertial guidance systems use a form of gyroscope so that a computer can figure out where it is in relation to a given point in space by calculating the forces and their vectors that have been exerted on the device. Why can't a bike have a system that will put the correct lean angles or other vectoring forces on it? The system could work standalone, or combine with a next-gen GPS.
Good points. The main disadvantage of gas turbines is the fuel consumption and maintenance costs. It tends to be pretty high. Last I read the Army is planning a change to diesels in the Main Battle tanks because of high fuel consumption and high maintenance costs.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

Problem with big gyroscopes is the damn bike has to turn sometimes!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #18
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Problem with big gyroscopes is the damn bike has to turn sometimes!
Computer aided I believe that you could still accomplish it. The computer would disable the gyro (slow it or even speed it up). If you put them fore and aft the motor but positioned them so one works in conjunction with lean (I'd think the aft gyro) then maybe. When tipping into the corner the gyro would be able to slow or speed up depending on "control". If the bike begins to break traction they gyro would work much like a steering stablizer does for the front end. But I'm no Mr Science and could be completely wrong in my theory. Funny thing is that in theory it's alright to be wrong.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

How about a gyroscope that mounts on your helmet? Or a gyroscope on each foot peg? How about one on the front forks? How about a turbine powered gyroscope? How about a turbine powered gyroscope equipped Harley Hummer? Or one powered by a turbine powered gyroscope in another gyscope? A gyroscope inside a gyroscope that in another even bigger gyroscope, one that could affect gravity, and throw the universe into reverse? I'M MAD HAHAHHAHHAHAH MAD I TELL YOU!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Yes........ I confess - you found me out - I'm The Batman...............

Well I was thinking of the bike from "The Dark Knight" but Adam West is the MAN

newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote