Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
roadkill0000
Registered Member

Default which 1200cc cruiser

I need help finding a bike for me. I am cruiser blooded, that much I know, already own an 88' intruder 750. I was looking at the VTX 1300C, nice but I was thinking something a little lighter and maneuverable would better fit me considering I live right outside the city.

Here's my specs:

5'9
150 lbs ( 1200cc should be fine )
Ride 2-up ( cruiser )
Ride year round ( Fuel Injection +1 )
Ride in city conditions mostly ( lightweight )

What bike do you think would fit this best? Thank you.
roadkill0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

What's your price point? If $15K is in the budget, then I would suggest the H-D Fat Bob (of Fat Boy, for that matter). For almost half of that, you can get a Yamaha V-Star 1100, which might fit the bill with a couple of tweaks (e.g. exhaust upgrade). Check out this link here on the MO website:

2009 Cruiser Motorcycle Reviews, Prices and Specs
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I think you should check out the Triumph Bonneville America and the Speedmaster before you set your sights on 1200-class V-twins. The Bonnevilles are quicker and handle better. Though the engines are smaller they make at least as much power and there are effective upgrades for the engine at reasonable cost. Two-up riding is no problem. The Bonnevilles are substantially cheaper too.

Plus, you get to wear that neat leather jacket with the big Union Jack on the back.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Intruder 1400.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I agree with the Bonneville, either a T100 or Speedmaster. Both would work for you and both would show way more class than a Japanese cookie cutter. Besides with the current world economic situation Japan Inc. will be reducing the number of models available to the U.S. even more and scaling back on what they do offer. Finding basic replacement parts will be even more problematic and expensive than it is now for Japanese bikes while Triumph has a thriving aftermarket and owner loyalty (which keeps the aftermarket afloat) to match Harley.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Make sure you check out the V-Star 950.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

You can find good used V-Rods for between $8500-$10,500 all day and night. There are many used Asian brands that are all bland as could be that fit the bill. A used Moto Guzzi California V11 or a 2007 new Griso 2valve can be had for at or under $10k at two bike shops in GA. The brand new 2009 Triumph Speedmaster is a great deal, too. If you go new I'd go Euro because they all have 2yr factory warranties and complimentary tow programs as perks.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill0000 View Post
I need help finding a bike for me. I am cruiser blooded, that much I know, already own an 88' intruder 750. I was looking at the VTX 1300C, nice but I was thinking something a little lighter and maneuverable would better fit me considering I live right outside the city.

Here's my specs:

5'9
150 lbs ( 1200cc should be fine )
Ride 2-up ( cruiser )
Ride year round ( Fuel Injection +1 )
Ride in city conditions mostly ( lightweight )

What bike do you think would fit this best? Thank you.

You’re not going to get a light weight cruiser. At the 1200cc and above it will be between 600-800lbs+ wet.

Your own weight shouldn't be a factor if you have good riding experience.

2-up riding is going to be spotty unless you move closer to a touring rig. If anything, stock passenger seats are usually describe, at best, as tolerable. I don't do 2-up riding. I hate it.

I'm with Seruzawa on the triumphs. They have a bit smaller of an engine, but are lighter and different. And also less expensive considering what you are getting.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
You can find good used V-Rods for between $8500-$10,500 all day and night. There are many used Asian brands that are all bland as could be that fit the bill. A used Moto Guzzi California V11 or a 2007 new Griso 2valve can be had for at or under $10k at two bike shops in GA. The brand new 2009 Triumph Speedmaster is a great deal, too. If you go new I'd go Euro because they all have 2yr factory warranties and complimentary tow programs as perks.
I love the Griso. Though I fear it won't be around when I will have the money to buy it. It seems it is too sporty and different for the cruiser crowd and not sporty enough for the sportbike spec sheet lovers.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Right now the Guzzi dealer in Boise, Id has a brand spanking new 2006 Breva1100 for $7500.