Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 1
Default 2009 Luxury Touring Shootout


Original Article:
2009 Luxury Touring Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Luxury Touring Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default

Great shoot out. Why does the Victory remind me of a Salsbury motor-scooter? Whatever...
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default Haiku for you...

Sport bike wheelies bore,
Big rig wheelies cause giggles.
Tell me why this is.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
sibonium
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Exclamation Well, 3/4 of a Luxury Touring Shootout

While the three bikes included are all very good rides in their own right, you know I have to point out that the Goldwing is about as American as the BMW K1200LT. Why the stretch to leave the big beemer out of the comparo?

Of course, having owned two of them, I might be carrying some small bias...

My wife and I rode the teutonic fat girl to Colorado last summer from Miami, and comfortably completed about 6000 miles, getting as high as 57mpg (averaged about 47mpg) all in the lap of luxury.
sibonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibonium View Post
I have to point out that the Goldwing is about as American as the BMW K1200LT. Why the stretch to leave the big beemer out of the comparo?
1. The GW is designed and built in America; the K12 is not.
2. BMW didn't have an LT in its press fleet.
3. The LT is a bit long in tooth and is scheduled to be replaced within two years, probably with a V-6 engine (scroll near the bottom of this article: 2009 BMW S1000RR – A Closer Look - Motorcycle.com)
4. We only have three staffers/riders who live in SoCal. We'll call you next time around...

Have a fun and healthy '09, my friends!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Nice article boys. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. The GW is the most comfortable mile eater ever made and always was. I also think if the E-Glide Ultra was chosen that the MSRP would be the cheapest of this bunch. Go figure with everyone always complaining that Harleys are so expensive.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
1. The GW is designed and built in America; the K12 is not.
2. BMW didn't have an LT in its press fleet.
3. The LT is a bit long in tooth and is scheduled to be replaced within two years, probably with a V-6 engine (scroll near the bottom of this article: 2009 BMW S1000RR – A Closer Look - Motorcycle.com)
4. We only have three staffers/riders who live in SoCal. We'll call you next time around...

Have a fun and healthy '09, my friends!
Well you've got one quasi-staffer who works for carne asada burritos.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Nice article boys. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. The GW is the most comfortable mile eater ever made and always was. I also think if the E-Glide Ultra was chosen that the MSRP would be the cheapest of this bunch. Go figure with everyone always complaining that Harleys are so expensive.
Funny that no mention is made of the Victory's accident laugh/hazard ratio. More accidents are caused by uncontrollably laughing bystanders than from any other motorcycle currently being sold.

The all time accident laugh hazard/ratio hazard winner is, of course the Honda Rune followed by the Norton Hi-rider.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

I didn't want to mention the Victory 'Bad Vision' too much, but anyone that says those things are better looking in person than they are in pictures needs to see an optometrist ASAP.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Sport bike wheelies bore,
Big rig wheelies cause giggles.
Tell me why this is.

Wheelies are Easy
If you want big-time jaw drops
Go for the Stoppie..........
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off