Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #101
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concours06Rider View Post
Harley Davidson: “Say what you will about H-D products, but the Ultra wins my vote for Coolest Bike in this test. From the paint to the chrome to the iconic style, there is something reassuringly familiar with its style.” Those wise words come from salty road dog Kevin Duke.
Honda Gold Wing: • Styling is getting dated, or at least is starting to look too much like the past iterations. We’ll take that update any time now, Honda!
Why is the H-D iconic yet not dated after over 100 years of the same basic look, yet the Honda is dated after about 10 years in its present design. You people are hypocrites!!!

Like a fine wine, some designs age better than others. The Honda being kind of bland and typical plastic Japanese.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #102
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Harley Davidson: “Say what you will about H-D products, but the Ultra wins my vote for Coolest Bike in this test. From the paint to the chrome to the iconic style, there is something reassuringly familiar with its style.” Those wise words come from salty road dog Kevin Duke.
Honda Gold Wing: • Styling is getting dated, or at least is starting to look too much like the past iterations. We’ll take that update any time now, Honda!
Why is the H-D iconic yet not dated after over 100 years of the same basic look, yet the Honda is dated after about 10 years in its present design. You people are hypocrites!!!
It's simple. HD trades on tradition. Honda trades on being a cutting edge technology company. Keeping HDs the same is what it's public expects. Constantly evolving technology is what the Big4's public expects. That's why Hondas get dated and HDs don't.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #103
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Why is the H-D iconic yet not dated after over 100 years of the same basic look..."

Because that pretty much defines 'iconic'. Hard to be an icon when you change every 5 years.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #104
SmokeU
Registered Member

I still prefer Road Glide over Ultra Classic.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #105
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
The key to my point is that the H-D has "iconic" styling. The Wing is an touring-bike icon, but because of its styling. That said, we don't blame you if you think the Ultra's styling is too dated for your tastes. If so, you have the Vision as an alternative.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #106
PCVincent
Registered Member

Default Great review, but that Honda motor can get in the way!

You said the Harley had no merits over the other two bikes. Having owned all three over the years, there is one advantage of a V-Twin over the 6-cylinder Honda: Leg room. On a long ride, that Honda engine really gets starts to annoy--no place to move your legs or feet, and on a warm day, the toes against those Honda heads are like sausages over a flame--at least when you are 6'-4" tall. Otherwise, I agree completely with your results, and especially like the comment about the character of the Honda engine being almost like an electric motor--how true!
PCVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #107
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Good point about the legroom on the GW. Tall riders may feel cramped. A taller aftermarket seat can provide extra room. I can't agree that heat from the cylinder heads is a major issue.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #108
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Good point about the legroom on the GW. Tall riders may feel cramped. A taller aftermarket seat can provide extra room. I can't agree that heat from the cylinder heads is a major issue.
Try one in stop and go traffic in the summer in Salt Lake City. It gives new meaning to the phrase "hotfooting it through town." Not as bad an an Airhead, though. Or Guzzi-knee.