Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet Review

Original Article:
Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Lowrez
Founding Member

Hmmm... so the bullet point summary of this review should read:
- Bad fit for narrow heads
- Fewer shell sizes than competitors
- Bad ventilation
- Low cost

That's not a positive review in my book.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

They get very positive reviews from everyone else. I looked at getting one to replace my ARAI Signet, but as she notes, the Scorpions all have a 'round' headshape.

Otherwise, they look to be a very nice hat. And, you can buy them for a lot less than MSRP.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I have a head shaped like a football, and my Arai fit perfect (and saved my life). Had I been wearing my ancient Bell 120 that rattles around on my noggin like a bucket (I still wear it around the house to scare the cat) my brains would have been scrambled. Not that they aren't already, but if you've got a $50.00 head, get a $50.00 helmet.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
if you've got a $50.00 head, get a $50.00 helmet.
What if your head is only worth $19.95? Would you get a $30.05 rebate when purchasing a $50.00 helmet?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
They get very positive reviews from everyone else. I looked at getting one to replace my ARAI Signet, but as she notes, the Scorpions all have a 'round' headshape.

Otherwise, they look to be a very nice hat. And, you can buy them for a lot less than MSRP.
I have a long-oval type of head, and my Scorpion lid fits me fine. Do yourself a favor and try one on before you make up your minds.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Nice pants.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I have a long-oval type of head, and my Scorpion lid fits me fine. Do yourself a favor and try one on before you make up your minds.
KD,

I did. I was all set to buy, and the Scorpion gal (at the DC IMS) tried everything, including changing out the liner, but my grotesquely-shaped melon just didn't fit.

So, now I'm lusting after a Shark RSI. I've been trying to find someone that has one to get some 'real rider' feedback.

Don't get me wrong; I love my ARAI Signet GTR (Cathcart Replica), but it's at the end of its service life, and I just can't stomach the $550 re-entry fee.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Love my '05 EX0-700

I'm a very happy owner of a 2005 EXO-700 Raider. The fit, noise level, and basic durability and looks still hold up after 4 years. It'll be time to get a new helmet, so another Scorpion is likely to replace it given the price point and the quality. The visors are very easy to remove and I do it every few days (from smoke to clear for weather or day/night riding) and it's still works with zero broken parts. The visors themselves have saved me several times from very large (golfball or larger sized) rocks thrown up on a Baja trip. My only significant gripe is that the visor does fog up (despite claims) after a few months of use and the that the visor's click points don't allow me to open it just a hair to keep the fogging out -- only have 5 notch points, which is too few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Original Article:
Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
El_Duderino
Founding Member

Default Saved me

The EX0700 saved my life. I was the victim of an accident where an 82 year-old woman made an oncoming left-hand turn in from of me on a surface highway where I was going slightly below the 55 mph limit, and keeping with the flow of traffic in my direction. Things happened so quickly, but I was able to grab the brake for the split second or two of reaction time, so I could have been down to around 30-40 mph by the time of impact. I was lucky she was driving a small car. However, I did a face-plant with the roof-line, and also had a secondary impact on the back of the head according to the damage on the helmet when I landed (According to witnesses I was airborne for about 50 feet, and slid for another 75 feet--I don't know, I came to sometime right after I landed). Although I had other major injuries, the only thing that happened to my head was a little scratch on my forehead by a piece of auto glass that got lodged into the helmet--not eve a concussion. I did have two broken wrists, one compounded which the trauma room had a difficult time debriding all of the road crud from the wound, and an open-book fracture of the pelvis, likely caused by my gas tank. Had I had anything less than a full face helmet, I would be dead. And my bodily wounds would have been worse had I not been wearing abrasion resistant and padded gear: jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. Even if I had on jeans instead of the MC pants, I would have been serious road rash from the amount I slid. ATTGATT, even in the HOT FL September-summer when I had the mishap. I kept all of the tattered gear I wore that day so I could show all of my biker friends--especially ones who sometimes skimp on some of the gear for various reasons--how it was "sacrificed" in place of my life

I switched to the Scorpion after getting annoyed with my Arai due to it's shield system in both the greater noise from the external hinge covers (over the ears), and the difficulty I had in switching shields. The Scorpion was way quiet compared to my Arai, and perhaps fit a little better to my head's shape, which trumped the slight weight advantage of the Arai. The helmet model just came to market not long before I got it, and I have never heard of Scorpion when I was looking to replace my Arai. However, I heard good things from others about the brand at the time, and that was surprising to me for Scorpion was only around for a couple of years when I got it 4 or 5 years ago, and it didn't have the recognition that it's getting now.

I can't say I had the same issue with shield replacement that Alex had. Maybe she should get it checked-out for a defective mechanism? It was so easy for me, that I routinely did it while I had the helmet on. (And didn't need a mirror!)

Also, I found the ventilation the best of all of the other helmets that I've owned, even in the hottest of Florida weather where I live. Perhaps the additional padding that Alex used interfered with internal airflow, somehow?

I haven't got back to riding yet in the few years since the accident, but I would get the Scorpion again, even if they are the priciest.

--Jeffro
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote