Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Unreliable Armor brands and favorite armor replacements. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10265)

GSavior 12-26-2008 08:44 PM

Unreliable Armor brands and favorite armor replacements.

Been browsing online and researching about armor brands such as the popular T pro, Knox, Highvelocity,etc.

Was wondering what brands are not reliable in their CE claims?

Also, I checked out other motorcycle forums and everyone seems to pick either T pro or Knox as their favorite.

As far as replacement armor inserts for jackets, which do you guys prefer?

seruzawa 12-26-2008 09:36 PM

I don't worry about it. Unless someone has actual independent scientific data with armor actually being tested any opinions of which is better than which is worthless. Manufacturer claims are absolutely worthless.

As an example, "everyone knows" that expensive Snell helmets are best. Everyone "knew" this to be "true" for years and years. That is, until in the 80s Cycle Mag actually tested helmets on actual testing gear and found that in many cases Snell helmets were worse for normal use. More recently tests were done again with the same results.... cost of helmet is immaterial.

So unless someone has actual verified and independent data all claims about this being better than that are absolutely valueless.

longride 12-27-2008 06:54 AM

"So unless someone has actual verified and independent data all claims about this being better than that are absolutely valueless."

True enough. Every crash is so different it is hard to quantify what is better and what is worse. I used crushed tin cans for armor, and they have held up well over the years.

sfcdjevans 12-27-2008 07:02 AM

Velocity Gear. Why? Completely subjective, good luck, see the 2 previous posts. Now about oil....

MOKE1K 12-27-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSavior (Post 199865)
Been browsing online and researching about armor brands such as the popular T pro, Knox, Highvelocity,etc.

Was wondering what brands are not reliable in their CE claims?

Also, I checked out other motorcycle forums and everyone seems to pick either T pro or Knox as their favorite.

As far as replacement armor inserts for jackets, which do you guys prefer?

I use the stock armor that came with the jacket or leathers never had any reason to replace them, whats your reason?

GSavior 12-27-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 199884)
I use the stock armor that came with the jacket or leathers never had any reason to replace them, whats your reason?

I was told when you crash or land on your armor, it should be replaced.

Say on a track day, you take a couple falls. The jacket is still good, but the armor was impacted.

pushrod 12-29-2008 09:44 AM

I'd say the easy answer would be to contact the manf. of your gear, and see about getting replacement pads. Then you'll be fairly safe in getting one that fits.

Kenneth_Moore 12-29-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSavior (Post 199919)
I was told when you crash or land on your armor, it should be replaced.

Say on a track day, you take a couple falls. The jacket is still good, but the armor was impacted.

That's absolutely correct about helments, because they have energy absorbing material that crushes when your skull impacts the inside of the lid. And/or, the external hard material can delaminate after impact with fiber/resin helmets.

I don't race; the armor I wear is just heavy plastic and/or rubber inserts. I guess it could eventually abrade away, but I'd probably give up riding long before then. Is the race armor that sophisticated?

sachiwilson 12-29-2008 04:22 PM

Yeah, it's the expanded polystyrene that crushes when it takes a hit, so helmets need to be replaced. I've clobbered a few helmets and bits of hard body armor - I've tossed the helmets but I see no reason to replace the armor, just because it hit the ground.

Kenneth_Moore 12-29-2008 06:21 PM

I say get the Human Air Bag System and you'll just bounce down the pavement like a runaway tire. Drain the air, pop in another CO2 cartridge, you're good to go.

YouTube - Dainese airbag suit for 2010