Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 Yamaha WR250X Review

Original Article:
2009 Yamaha WR250X Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Yamaha WR250X Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

300 lbs for a four stroke 250? Well that's par for the course I guess. Why Yamaha couldn't have paired it down some is a mystery to me. After all, my 1972 DT2 weighed 270 lbs. soaking wet. Surely technology has reached a point where a street bike of two fifty cee cees can weight well under 300 ponderous pounds? Hell, my '83 XL600S weighed 325 lbs. And my 1978 XL250S weighed in at 275. What, did they put lead in the frame tubes like a works Suzuki MXers to get the weight up to "acceptable" standards? "When it's heavy like that, it rides like a Caddy..." Someone set me straight!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Yikes

Ok I'm looking at my cheat sheet of 250 specs, I'm shopping. None of 'em are 300 lbs. I'll put off reading the review for when I'm bored. Thanks for the Cliff Notes.

OK, ok I've read some and used links. Wet weight, ok, so that puts it at what about the same weight as a Sherpa? Obviously more performance. I've got to stop posting just to type. Where are my meds?

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 12-24-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: I need a delete button.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I look forward for the comparo. You guys better bring it on this one. Might I suggest cart track racing, lap times, and best wheelie contest?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
Ok I'm looking at my cheat sheet of 250 specs, I'm shopping. None of 'em are 300 lbs. I'll put off reading the review for when I'm bored. Thanks for the Cliff Notes.

OK, ok I've read some and used links. Wet weight, ok, so that puts it at what about the same weight as a Sherpa? Obviously more performance. I've got to stop posting just to type. Where are my meds?
That was rather rude O_O or was it sarcastic?

2009 Yamaha WR250X Specifications, specs, spec

Actually the yammy is 300lbs...wet.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I was trying to be sarcastic. While the bikes I've been looking at are the same size,cc, they are not fuel injected. The heaviest is at 282 lbs. So 4 quarts of oil is aprox 8 pounds and 10 pounds of fuel is what 10 pints, roughly ok,I guess were at the same weight for a whole lot less. I guess it depends on what your looking for. While I admit the specs are pretty cool, the wheel sizes and price point mean it's not for me. $6K for a 250 DP?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
300 lbs for a four stroke 250? Well that's par for the course I guess. Why Yamaha couldn't have paired it down some is a mystery to me. After all, my 1972 DT2 weighed 270 lbs. soaking wet. Surely technology has reached a point where a street bike of two fifty cee cees can weight well under 300 ponderous pounds? Hell, my '83 XL600S weighed 325 lbs. And my 1978 XL250S weighed in at 275. What, did they put lead in the frame tubes like a works Suzuki MXers to get the weight up to "acceptable" standards? "When it's heavy like that, it rides like a Caddy..." Someone set me straight!
Okay, Cuddy, I'm surprised you fell into this trap. For 2009, all Japanese OEMs (and others) have agreed to list their bikes' weights in actual, ready-to-ride, full-tank formats. This is considerably different than the old pull-it-out-yer-butt "dry" weights they formerly listed. So, it makes me wonder how you ascertained the actual weight of your ol' DT2. Also, any liquid-cooled bike will weigh more than an air-cooled bike because of the additional radiator, hoses, fluids, etc.

Please, everyone who has wanted or will write about how much heavier bikes are these days, please keep this in mind. I wrote more about this on our blog that you can find if you scroll down on this page: Kevin Duke | Motorcycle Blog: The Sidecar

Merry Xmas, gang!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
I was trying to be sarcastic. While the bikes I've been looking at are the same size,cc, they are not fuel injected. The heaviest is at 282 lbs.
The Kawi KLX250SF is listed at 302 lbs...

And anyone who wants a cheap d-p bike only has to go here: 2008 Lightweight Dual-Purpose Shootout - Motorcycle.com

But I'll tell ya, the $4549 XT250 ain't nearly as fun to ride as the WR!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well lets see, I put the front wheel on a bathroom scale, wrote down the weight, then I did the same thing to the rear wheel, wrote that down, then added them up. 272 lbs full of fluids & 1/2 tank of gas, autolube tank full. This was done stone stock, before the removal of trash that wasn't needed. 300 lbs for a 250 cc four stroke single is right up there with a 1966 B25 BSA. Yamaha takes a giant leap backwards. At least there's no ziener diode under the lower triple clamp to worry about...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

Cuddy, that was then, this is now. If you want a lightweight dual sport bike, you have to look to Europe, not Japan. KTM, Husqvarna, and a couple of other manufactirers make what you're looking for.

The Japanese manufacturers will not risk putting their off-road bikes on the road.

It's all a compromise, though. I have a KTM 525 that's "street-legal", but I wouldn't want to ride it more than a few score miles on the road. Not at all on the highway.

On the other hand, I have a DRZ400S that weighs a lot more, but it is much handier on the highway than the KTM. I have ridden it all day for quite a distance, and it's great. It will go anywhere, dirtwise, the KTM does, just slower. If I had only one bike, this would be it.

I have owned and ridden the old enduros (DT250, SL350, DT175, etc.). There's no comparison. While the newer bikes may weigh a bit more, they make up for it with capability.

I haven't ridden the WR250R, and I can guarantee that I will never buy one new, but all the reports I heard about say its pretty decent for a Japanese dual sport.