Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #31
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Heh heh. It's pretty hard on squids when they discover that the wunderbike they thought they own is easy meat for some old guy on a ratty MX bike. LOL! My old flowbenched Sporty used to shred Japanese 750s at the Stoplight Grand Prix back in the 80's. You could see their teeth grinding at the next stoplight.
Hm? Flowbenched Sporty? (man I feel dumb right now...)
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #32
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

"Flowbenching" refers to revising the intake and exhaust tracts to improve the flow of the mixture into and out of the cylinder. It commonly includes both grinding away obstructions and building up (with weld) places in the tract that need to be smoothed out to improve the flow.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Hm? Flowbenched Sporty? (man I feel dumb right now...)
What Sachi said.

Jerry Branch used to offer porting for Harleys back in the 80s. For $300 he cleaned up the ports and made the heads breathe a lot better than stock. With an S&S carb and mild drag pipes the Sporty's low gearing gave it an amazing 0-60 acceleration for the era. More than one CBKZGSYZ750 owner got an unpleasant surprise riding down State St.

Now my buddy's Sporty with the 74" stroker kit now.....
Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #34
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
What Sachi said.

Jerry Branch used to offer porting for Harleys back in the 80s. For $300 he cleaned up the ports and made the heads breathe a lot better than stock. With an S&S carb and mild drag pipes the Sporty's low gearing gave it an amazing 0-60 acceleration for the era. More than one CBKZGSYZ750 owner got an unpleasant surprise riding down State St.

Now my buddy's Sporty with the 74" stroker kit now.....
Ah, ported and relieved. got ya, another stupid question. Whats a "Green sticker" (cuddy made a comment about it earlier)?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #35
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Green sticker is specific to California. Any bike that goes off-road, but is not licensed, needs to have a green sticker showing compliance with CA laws. Just what those laws are I can't tell you, not being a dirt biker.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #36
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Hey thanks Sachi! Now it make sense whats going on. As for as i know, here in PA, all you need to do is buy a bike and fill it with the appropriate fluids.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Ah, ported and relieved. got ya, another stupid question. Whats a "Green sticker" (cuddy made a comment about it earlier)?
Dunno. It's one of those People's Republic of Kalifornia thingies. We don't have that shyt in Utah.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #38
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Yeah, here in the peoples republik of kalifornia the DMV goofed big time and gave me a plate for my YZ490. Ah. memories....
Woo hoo! I had a WR500 that was used for countless miles of desert racing and trail riding out at Lucerne/Johnson Valley, etc. She had a Tom Morgan Racing re-shaped head, matched and "mildly ported" cylinder and a Pro Circuit pipe. Race Tech suspension and the requisite Scotts stabilizer. What a fine desert sled she was. Very stable, plush but stout suspension. The WR's inverted KYB fork was wonderful. Pretty fun at Glen Helen too, particularly in the fast sections.

Geared her to the moon so she would get some traction and probably did 15,000 off road miles on it. The bike was fast and indestructible. I loved it! The smoothness of a modern 4 stroke at high rpm is nice though. That WR shook hard enough to blur my vision at higher rpm.

Fortunately high rpm running was mostly unneccessary, given the whompin' barking midrange power. Sticking it in a tall gear and letting it eat was the preferred mode of operation No wonder 3rd gear wore out. She was always in third, charging hard up some ungodly rough and steep desert hill, growling and barking that baritone song like only an open class two stroke can under a load, with front end barely skimming the ground or aloft the whole way.

I'll never forget when I sold it. The hapless buyer took a test ride, twisted her tail and scared himself silly. He then quickly forked over the full asking price in cash with shaking hands. Ah the memories indeed!

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-30-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Dunno. It's one of those People's Republic of Kalifornia thingies. We don't have that shyt in Utah.
It's because you don't care about The Children.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #40
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Hey thanks Sachi! Now it make sense whats going on. As for as i know, here in PA, all you need to do is buy a bike and fill it with the appropriate fluids.
PA? Where in dee hell are yooz located? I'm in Eastern PA. Bucks County, that is. About an hour and 15 north of Philthy. Wait, have we had this conversation before? You’re over near Pittsburgh, right?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote