Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"It's all a compromise, though. I have a KTM 525 that's "street-legal", but I wouldn't want to ride it more than a few score miles on the road. Not at all on the highway."

And how does your CR500 do against your 525 KTM? I know mine smoked my buddy's EXC525 on top end. At least 15 bike lengths. My '87 was far from stock though. Ported, 15/47 gears. A GPS in my pocket said 94MPH with a worn out ring.

Don't get me wrong, I know the day of the two stroke is over, but don't BS me into thinking 4 strikers are better, 'cause they aint.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Seriously, I have a buddy near you in Stanton with a sweet Husky 510 SMR that is just unbelieveable. He would love to show off his sick toy if you guys ever want to do a Husky story. Make sure your lawyer is warned ahead of time and that you have plenty of spare points on your license.
Better yet, go to Grange Raceway.
Let's see how we do with BMW/Husky, but I may want to talk to your buddy at some point. Regarding Grange, I used to race an NSR50 there. Might need to go back...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know the day of the two stroke is over, but don't BS me into thinking 4 strikers are better, 'cause they aint.
As a longtime two-smoke lover (CR125, RZ500, and a rare rider on a Bimota Vdue), I share your sentiments, Cuddy. But I'll put the WR250 against any street-legal two-stroke currently on the market.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #24
pplassm
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
And how does your CR500 do against your 525 KTM? I know mine smoked my buddy's EXC525 on top end. At least 15 bike lengths. My '87 was far from stock though. Ported, 15/47 gears. A GPS in my pocket said 94MPH with a worn out ring.
The CR is definitely lighter and turns tighter in the woods. When it hooks up, you're right, you can't beat the big two-stroke. It's just not an advantage for most of the riding I do.

I already had a license plate on a CR500. That was fun for about 20 minutes, then the surging and unwanted attention got old.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know the day of the two stroke is over, but don't BS me into thinking 4 strokers are better, 'cause they aint.
I never said that 2 strokes don't rawk! My next woods bike is likely to be another two stroke (KTM300EXC, or modified Yamaha YZ250).

Did you know a WR426 wide ratio transmission (3d-5th, anyway) drops in to late model YZ250s? The whole thing goes in with minor case mods.

I will likely sell the 525 to get this bike, and I know I will be giving up one set of capabilities for another. The 525 is a good in a broad range of conditions (plus, stock, it's geared for 106 MPH), but the 300 2 stroke is fantastic in the tight stuff.

And yes, the new bike will have a license plate. You can register anything if you're persistent enough.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #25
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You sir are a consumate motorcyclist. I tip my lid to you. A plated CR500...ah, one can only dream...
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Ah 2 strokes. I have a trail modded and license plated '01 CR250 in my garage. You can put a plate on anything in Colorado

The real purpose of it is to be legal while connecting trails in the forest by riding on graded dirt roads that require license plates.It would be fun (and technically legal) to ride it to the grocery store. Might have to try that sometime, just to freak out the soccer moms.

The CR is an awesome mountain trail bike by the way. Snappy corner to corner power, light and flickable. I have a DRZ400 also, because sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't. Wondering if I can mount a satellite dish and a LazyBoy to the DRZ. It about rides itself compared to the hard hitting and focused CR.

Then there is the modded out FZ1 in my sig pic. Warp 9 on command in total comfort. Just call me a lucky bastard! Gotta love bikes with any type of engine configuration and any size. It is all good.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-29-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, here in the peoples republik of kalifornia the DMV goofed big time and gave me a plate for my YZ490. All I wanted was a green sticker, but they insisted on a license plate, so who was I to doubt the intelligence of the department of murder vehicles? Nothing like an open class MX bike on the street, use to ride it to work daily in the summer (fake lights)from the San Fernando Valley to LAX, a 28 mile one way trip through the worst LA has to offer. Lots of guys on big road bikes would want to race me from stoplights, but if I started out in 2nd gear they'd be left choking in a cloud of Yamalube R. One guy on a GSXR750 got so pissed off he chased me home and was going to "kick my a$$". I understand the acceleration of a 500cc MX bike is like an F1 car. Ah. memories....
Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Why cause his pansy little squid ego was hurt? HA! Jack@$$
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
One guy on a GSXR750 got so pissed off he chased me home and was going to "kick my a$$".
Heh heh. It's pretty hard on squids when they discover that the wunderbike they thought they own is easy meat for some old guy on a ratty MX bike. LOL! My old flowbenched Sporty used to shred Japanese 750s at the Stoplight Grand Prix back in the 80's. You could see their teeth grinding at the next stoplight.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #30
pplassm
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
One guy on a GSXR750 got so pissed off he chased me home and was going to "kick my a$$". I understand the acceleration of a 500cc MX bike is like an F1 car. Ah. memories....
Tee hee hee. I have similar memories. You never know whatlurks beneath the tank.