Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
SDRider
Registered Member

I used to be a member maybe 15 years ago (for about 5 years I suppose). I'll look into where the AMA stands on the issues and what it's doing about them, maybe I'll rejoin if it makes sense. We certainly need a strong advocate for motorcycle interests. I'm active in 2 other areas that are under constant threat at the Federal, State and local levels, not to mention from the lawyers.

Hopefully this view of mine simply reflects my ignorance of AMA's current great strength in numbers and powerful lobbying capability, but those other interest groups seem to do a much better job of fighting the good fight for their people.

Tell me I'm wrong someone, please ....

Cheers.
Chas.

Last edited by SDRider : 07-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
allanworks
Registered Member

from what i understand is the helmet only protects you from slow speed crashes and if your in a high speed crash might as well be wearing a leather skull cap like in the old days.the helmets gona be the cause of your neck breaking any ways thats what happend to my step dad now hes got bolts in his neck.they need to make a cheap carbon fiber helmet with some type of shock absorbtion gel liner. think dr shoels for your head
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #33
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
from what i understand is the helmet only protects you from slow speed crashes and if your in a high speed crash might as well be wearing a leather skull cap like in the old days.the helmets gona be the cause of your neck breaking any ways thats what happend to my step dad now hes got bolts in his neck.they need to make a cheap carbon fiber helmet with some type of shock absorbtion gel liner. think dr shoels for your head
The urban legend that helmets break necks is BS. I'm not saying your step-dad didn't break his neck wearing a helmet in a high-speed crash, but I don't believe for a second that the helmet itself was the direct cause. Watch Danny Eslick's 180 mph step-off at Daytona last March if you want to see what a helmet can do to save your noggin.

The best protection for any crash, high or low speed, is a full-face helmet that fits right.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #34
pushrod
Founding Member

Helmets again!?

Really!!?

If nothing else, the helmet will make for an open casket if you are involved in a high-speed crash.

And, if the events around here are any indication, most crashes are 'low speed,' whatever that is.

The bottom line is; a helmet (properly fitted, and not a 'toy' helmet), whatever the type, is much, much better protection for your noggin than nothing.

And, a full-face (or modular) will keep your mug prettier in the event of a faceplant.

Here's a test. Grab one end of a 3 foot piece of 2X4. Let it hang to the floor. Now, looking straight ahead (eyes closed!), swing the board from the floor up and right into your forehead.

You'll note that it probably hurts, and most probably caused bleeding and bruising. Maybe even a mild concussion.

That would be a very 'low-speed' impact.

Me? I wear a helmet. Any time I'm on the bike.

Your choice. But, if you decide to ride 'nekkid,' take a couple pictures of yourself; so folks can remember what you looked like.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #35
pushrod
Founding Member

While I'm spun up, here's another gem.

Lee Parks, when he was the Editor of Motorcycle Consumer News (Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling. - get it from Amazon), wrote about protective gear in an editorial.

He said something like; "I can't tell you to wear protective gear. It's your choice. But here's something to think about.

Most every grown male has been around a grinder and/or power sander. And, most have also managed to touch a finger or knuckle to the grinding surface. It's amazing how fast, and with how little pressure that the skin and flesh is gone. And how painful that injury can be.

Now, the next time you are on the road, look down. Picture the road surface as a huge sanding belt.

Imagine hitting that with any part of your body, with your full weight behind it.

Now, wouldn't you prefer buying a new jacket, or boots, gloves or pants, rather than several (very painful!) visits to the Doctor and months of recovery?"

ATGATT, baby!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #36
allanworks
Registered Member

all i was saying was fiber glass and syrofoam is not a good protector.almost useless at high speeds lets say 70mph.datona race people dont use what us normal people use for helmets there helmets cost thousands of dollars.so that doesnt count.im saying that these exspenseve helmets need to be cheaper.as for my step dad he got dody slamed by his bike and the way he hit the two inch diffrence coupled with the downward force was enough.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
all i was saying was fiber glass and syrofoam is not a good protector.almost useless at high speeds lets say 70mph.datona race people dont use what us normal people use for helmets there helmets cost thousands of dollars.so that doesnt count.im saying that these exspenseve helmets need to be cheaper.as for my step dad he got dody slamed by his bike and the way he hit the two inch diffrence coupled with the downward force was enough.
They "Daytona people's" helmets cost thousands of dollars, because they're one-off helmets, custom-fitted by hand specifically to the rider. Materials and concept are no-different than the HJC or Arai you can buy off the shelf. They don't want it to be a distraction to the rider, so the well-heeled teams buy them helmets that will not be. THAT, is a FACT. Same-same for Race suits - the leather is actually thinner than what you or I would buy for the street.

So far as "useless" at high speeds: very few (off-track) crashes happen at greater than 45mph. It is almost a statistical anomaly.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #38
allanworks
Registered Member

ican under stand that the slower you are the harder it is to stay stable plus more likely to be in city limits at that speed which means more cars.but aint there helmets made of carbon fiber/kevlar with a high grade foam pading.custom molding the helmet makes it much safer.and the helmets we buy are moulded reproductions made with fiber glass and syrofoam. cant afford to drop $400 on a helmet.i bought what every body buys a $100 helmet that is the same as most other helmets.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #39
12er
Founding Member

Looking at my buddies helmet after a 140mph crash at the track that knocked him out cold I'd say they work pretty dang well. It looked like he was break dancing and doing a head spin. 360 degree deep scratches, he came to and walked off. Its your head, wear what you want...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #40
allanworks
Registered Member

standards for racing equipment is diffrent than street equipment.all im realy trying to say is we have stronger materials out there that should be used other than fiberglass and styrofoam.and that dot should raise the standard to carbon fiber its lighter and stronger if done right after a while even those helmets will drop to an acceptable cost level.what would be awsome if there was a machine that scaned your head and pops out a custom formed helmet for your head thats the future i hope