Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 BMW S1000RR – A Closer Look (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10219-2009-bmw-s1000rr-closer-look.html)

Administrator 12-19-2008 03:23 PM

2009 BMW S1000RR – A Closer Look

Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 BMW S1000RR – A Closer Look in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

ofreen 12-19-2008 11:58 PM

The article says that BMW "will tackle the intensely competitive Japanese literbike segment head on." If that is their target, it is a moving one. If BMW intends to compete with the Japanese liter sportbikes, it seems they will be changing the bike every couple of years. If they are going to do that, then BMW is truly reinventing themselves. Hope they don't reinvent themselves out of the motorcycle business.

longride 12-20-2008 05:08 AM

There is no possible way they can compete with the price/performance of a Japanese literbike. None. I'm convinced that the Japanese themselves make no profit from selling these bikes, so why is BMW going to try? Every other Euro sportbike mfg. has gone through financial hardships year after year, and Honda is dropping out of some racing venues. See a pattern here? BMW will need a huge racing budget to get this thing competitive. 'High risk' venture they say? More like 'high loss' venture. Only priced 2 grand higher than the Japanese? Well, that means you lose BMW. It needs to be the same price, with at least as much performance and some race wins for Burger Barn bragging rights. Without that, 5% of the market is just a pipe dream. Maybe they need this bike for a tax write down for their auto sector. Making this bike at this time makes no sense in a down market. Good luck to them, they will need it.

MOKE1K 12-20-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by administrator (Post 199495)
Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 BMW S1000RR – A Closer Look in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

I think it's great that BMW is stepping up in such a big way, I also believe it's conceivable that they can be very competitive against the Japanese manufacture's, if givin the right rescourses.

Although T.Corser's and R.Xaus's times havent been all that great, I'v read they arent really concentrating on outright lap times just yet.

seruzawa 12-20-2008 06:39 AM

"And BMW isn’t looking to poach from their existing customers with its new sportsbike, as de Waal says 90-95% of S1000RR owners will be conquest sales for the historic brand."

I'll say. If BMW wants to branch out to new products for the existing riders they need to come up with a line of coffins not sportbikes.

Whether or not this bike would have flown is moot. $12,000 is likely to only buy you a cup of coffee next year.

acecycleins 12-20-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 199554)
There is no possible way they can compete with the price/performance of a Japanese literbike. None. I'm convinced that the Japanese themselves make no profit from selling these bikes, so why is BMW going to try? Every other Euro sportbike mfg. has gone through financial hardships year after year, and Honda is dropping out of some racing venues. See a pattern here? BMW will need a huge racing budget to get this thing competitive. 'High risk' venture they say? More like 'high loss' venture. Only priced 2 grand higher than the Japanese? Well, that means you lose BMW. It needs to be the same price, with at least as much performance and some race wins for Burger Barn bragging rights. Without that, 5% of the market is just a pipe dream. Maybe they need this bike for a tax write down for their auto sector. Making this bike at this time makes no sense in a down market. Good luck to them, they will need it.

It can absolutely work. How? BMW motorcycles designed in house and assembled in.............China. To BMW exacting standards, of course. Just that simple. Expect almost all of their bikes to be build in those factories in the next 5 yrs. Triumph is slowly doing that. Honda actually builds the majority of the low cc street stuff (sold everywhere but here) there. Benelli is owned by the Chinese. All the scooters you can think of have a connection. The new economic world is going to need to learn a new language. So, I truly believe that as long as design and R&D are handled in house they will outsource the labor to control cost. Maybe not the first couple of years, but soon. If the target is volume & demographics like Kawaski then expect standards to slip and warranty claims and recalls to increase. All in the name of "market share". Capitalism at its finest.
Life's a trade-off. BMW wants younger riders. They change to gain them. Is it better. I don't know. I like the "old" BMW. But I understand it. Their trying to do something that Harley is going to have to address soon. They know the market is changing and they are adjusting the way they think they have too. Harley will soon be in the same boat and trying to decide the model line up future to keep marketshare. May work. May not. But it's all possible if assembly is out-sourced.

longride 12-20-2008 07:47 AM

I don't care if they have Santa's elves assembling these bikes, they will not compete with the Japanese in either price or performance. That, I will bet the house on. If they get close, the Japanese will drop their prices further and still offer more performance. When BMW has to redesign the bike every two years that will be the end of them. Triumph doesn't compete head to head. They tried that at the 600cc level and got thier asses handed to them, so they made their own niche with a unique motor and went there. Smart move. BMW will get their asses handed to them here. They needed to find a niche the Japanese don't dominate to do well. This one ain't it. They are late to this game and can only catch up with a barrels full of money. Not the smartest move at this stage of the world economy. Problem #2 for BMW is that they have very few dealers. In Illinois, there are 3 BMW dealers in the whole state. Not real good for sales when there is a Japanese dealer every 10 miles. Like I said, I wish them luck, they will need all they can get and then some.

Buzglyd 12-20-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 199563)
I don't care if they have Santa's elves assembling these bikes, they will not compete with the Japanese in either price or performance. That, I will bet the house on. If they get close, the Japanese will drop their prices further and still offer more performance. When BMW has to redesign the bike every two years that will be the end of them. Triumph doesn't compete head to head. They tried that at the 600cc level and got thier asses handed to them, so they made their own niche with a unique motor and went there. Smart move. BMW will get their asses handed to them here. They needed to find a niche the Japanese don't dominate to do well. This one ain't it. They are late to this game and can only catch up with a barrels full of money. Not the smartest move at this stage of the world economy. Problem #2 for BMW is that they have very few dealers. In Illinois, there are 3 BMW dealers in the whole state. Not real good for sales when there is a Japanese dealer every 10 miles. Like I said, I wish them luck, they will need all they can get and then some.

I'll have to find out if this is part of San Diego BMW's "24 hour test ride."

Currently, the local dealer let's you take a bike home for 24 hours before you buy. In addition, when you buy, they sell you the extended warranty for $1.

Can you imagine the damage I could do in 24 hours on this baby? ;-)

longride 12-20-2008 08:28 AM

Now THAT I would do! Thrash it and tell em what a nice bike it was as you are heading out the door.

Buzglyd 12-20-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 199569)
Now THAT I would do! Thrash it and tell em what a nice bike it was as you are heading out the door.

Too bad they don't offer 24 hours with the service manual. Jen would love that!