Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If they could pick a worse time in history to introduce a 1000cc race bike to compete against the Japanese I can't think of it. They should have tried this back when Pridmore was racing and they might have been in the ballgame today.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

typical Germans, overly technical, too late to market and overpriced. They'd be better off building R100RT's and 2002's again

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

So, BMW is going to compete with the Japanese in the liter sportbike market eh? Rotsa ruck.

Please BMW, just stick to making funky opposed twins and other motorcycles that you don't have to update every few hours to compete with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, & Yamaha.

Maybe the canned board of directors from GM got jobs at BMW making new model decisions? Seems that way. Right when the world has its financial a$$ in the wringer, BMW (apparently flush with cash) starts producing everything you can think of on two wheels. Is this an effort to "own der vurld unt space" as Spike Jones once sung about?

The sensibilities of some CEO's are astounding! Are they fully insulated from reality by throngs of yes-men spuring them into bad financial deals that ultimately sink their whole ship?

Time for my nap...
Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"So, BMW is going to compete with the Japanese in the liter sportbike market eh?"

Probably not, but they will blow lots of dough trying!

"The sensibilities of some CEO's are astounding!"

Word has it that the night before they made this decision, they stayed at a Holiday Inn. At least that is the rumor.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Right when the world has its financial a$$ in the wringer, BMW (apparently flush with cash) starts producing everything you can think of on two wheels.
The sensibilities of some CEO's are astounding! Are they fully insulated from reality by throngs of yes-men spuring them into bad financial deals that ultimately sink their whole ship?
Let's not be too freakin' harsh. As noted in the article, this project was green-lit 4.5 years ago. Sadly, it's a different world today. Regardless, I wish BMW well with the RR. WSB should be killer this year.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Let's not be too freakin' harsh. As noted in the article, this project was green-lit 4.5 years ago. Sadly, it's a different world today. Regardless, I wish BMW well with the RR. WSB should be killer this year.
True enough. We forget that these things have several year lead times. We all hope Beemer pulls it off. They just happened to have about the worst timing next to the guys trying to resurrect Indian (again).
Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #27
jmdonald
Founding Member

As BMW develops this bike any new innovation should be transferred across the product line. Who knows what the engineers will come up with in the future? The more companies there are that care to invest in this product segment can only improve the industry. Good luck to BMW. Motorcycle.com continues to do a stellar job covering industry offerings such as this and as a rider I appreciate the candid reviews given at this site. Keep it up.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

“Basically, BMW did things to be different, not necessarily because it works better."

Holy Crap! They actually came out and said it... All that screwing around with Televers and Paralevers and Weinelevers was all just so much bullshirt.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Yep! We bring you the juicy stuff.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote