Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
railgun
Registered Member

Smile Upgrading from 600cc to 1000cc

Hello all

I've had my YZF-R6 for about a year and a half and was looking to move up to a 1000cc.

I was looking at a 2009 model, and I've been researching the 4 main choices, CBR1000RR, YZF-R1, GSXR1000, and the ZX10R. They are each very enticing, however I'm not sure on which one I should go with. They each have pros and cons. The new crossplane crankshaft of the R1 definitely kindles my interest and I love the aesthetics. However, I'm told if I'm looking for raw power, the Ninja is the way to go.

Perhaps it is too soon to tell which is best, some specs haven't even been released as of yet.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers fellas'
railgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They are all capable of going way faster than you ever could, or should, on a public road. So with that fact in hand it really doesn't matter which one you choose unless you race for money, then get the GSXR. If you just ride on the street, they are all the same because you will be riding at about 50% of the bikes' capability, and that is if you are really good. Pick the one you like at that point.

Last edited by longride : 12-19-2008 at 04:16 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

What makes you think that a 1000 will be an "upgrade"?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
railgun
Registered Member

Well I plan to take it to the track more often than use as a form of transport.
railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railgun View Post
Ok- you blew your hand there. A liter class bike may have more power, but that doesn't translate into good lap times on most track days tracks. You could get a GSXR750 and be within a tenth of the liter bike and possibly have a much more controlled ride. You could get a V-twin like a used RC51 or TL1000R and spend virtually no money compaired to current models. Advantage is you have no referrence point. So- you go out and ride the wheels off the RC51 and hang with those new R1s and Gixxers all day. Spend the money on decent suspension parts to suit your style and have it set up by a suspension expert like Traxxion Dynamics or Racetec. You'll be much happier spending $5800 on the bike and around $1500 for a "real" suspension when you throw it down the track. As a matter of fact, way better than you'd feel throwing a $12,000 2009 bike down the track. I'd almost bank on it.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
SmokeU
Registered Member

The TL1000R is one of my favorite bikes.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
They are all capable of going way faster than you ever could, or should, on a public road. So with that fact in hand it really doesn't matter which one you choose unless you race for money, then get the GSXR. If you just ride on the street, they are all the same because you will be riding at about 50% of the bikes' capability, and that is if you are really good. Pick the one you like at that point.
Now that's a Bald-Faced Lie!

If a man uses 20% on the street he's bound for Jail.............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by railgun View Post
Then you deffinatly want a 600 for your first track bike.

The bigger the bike the slower you'll go. I remember when I started racing with Wera in 1989 and if you were a novice the biggest bike they would let you race was 750cc.

Which track will you be doing trackdays at?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Ok- you blew your hand there. A liter class bike may have more power, but that doesn't translate into good lap times on most track days tracks. You could get a GSXR750 and be within a tenth of the liter bike and possibly have a much more controlled ride. You could get a V-twin like a used RC51 or TL1000R and spend virtually no money compaired to current models. Advantage is you have no referrence point. So- you go out and ride the wheels off the RC51 and hang with those new R1s and Gixxers all day. Spend the money on decent suspension parts to suit your style and have it set up by a suspension expert like Traxxion Dynamics or Racetec. You'll be much happier spending $5800 on the bike and around $1500 for a "real" suspension when you throw it down the track. As a matter of fact, way better than you'd feel throwing a $12,000 2009 bike down the track. I'd almost bank on it.
Well said!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Dam! You guys scared another one away again...