Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 BMW G650GS Review

Original Article:
2009 BMW G650GS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 BMW G650GS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Enter the Dragon

"After all, the engine is a carbon-copy of the former 650 that was sourced from Rotax."

Great test Pete, but I worry about China taking over all manufacturing of everything everywhere eventually.

My wife is from Brazil, and folks down there are carping about all the shoe manufacturing (once a Brazilian hallmark industry)going to China, along with major underwear brands that were once tied into Brazilian culture, now being outsourced to the big red giant.

Now about the engine being a "carbon copy" of the Rotax, I wonder how Rotax feels about that? Not that China has had any quams in the past about copying everything from wrist watches to designer handbags. No, I see the future, and it's got a big red star on it.

Better learn to use those chopsticks, and get the Phelps Rosetta Stone version of Mandarin...egg roll anyone?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

The only hope is to get all Chinese labor to join the UAW. No that was completely unfair on my part and is unfaithful to my beliefs, but it sure was funny.

My brothers is here for the winter. It feel odd to me to sit "in" the bike. Not a bad price point. Used ones vanish around here, quick. Dealer is 80 ish miles away. I wonder if they give out loaners for that model. Have you ever changed the oil on one of those? I'm sure there are others like it, but... Maybe I oughta go sit on it for awhile.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

At least they assemble the bike in Germany! That's worth the extra bucks right there!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default Rotax, BMW, Chop Suey

"Now about the engine being a "carbon copy" of the Rotax, I wonder how Rotax feels about that?"

That's my phrasing, but is in essence what BMW staff had said.

"More or less, it's basically a Rotax motor, originally. Then when we built it, Aprilia put the engines in [for BMW] at the time. The early F650 singles had a BMW casting on the side of the engine. So it was a BMW engine that was basically based off a Rotax, and it's more or less the same motor, but now just assembled in a different location for cost savings." --BMW

Perhaps not eloquent as it was quoted from a live Q&A session, but more or less, that's the official word.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

Where did you guys find that air cooled KLR650? Junk heap with the radiator removed?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Unconfirmed Gabe sighting??

Was that Gabe sighting confirmed or uncomfirmed?

Man! I sure do miss his scotch reviews and tasting notes. Any volunteers to pick up the banner and run with it? My vote's for Cuddy.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Gabe is on Motorcycle Daily now. Did he go rogue? Ive been looking for another thumper, more pipe dream than anything but an XR650 with a baja kit has been calling my name. At least I know now to only buy a 06 or older 650gs if a cherry one surfaced for the right price. I'd rather know its a rotax and not a knock off.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Was that Gabe sighting confirmed or uncomfirmed?

Man! I sure do miss his scotch reviews and tasting notes. Any volunteers to pick up the banner and run with it? My vote's for Cuddy.
I thought that I'd seen that blue 'Stitch before.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

What can I say? Not all edits make it in before Live.

Here's how it should've read:

"Additionally, consider that two of the three are air-cooled and all are carbed..."