Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10172-2009-harley-davidson-sportster-xr1200-review.html)

Administrator 12-11-2008 11:59 AM

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200 Review

Original Article:
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

EmeraldCityKnght 12-11-2008 12:31 PM

Nice review Pete. The Buell thing you pointed out is an excellent point. Because the Buell's are much lighter and around the same price I would start with Buell and then test the HD. But I can see that the flat tracker looks would appeal to some but not me I love the Buell look.

Dr_Sprocket 12-11-2008 01:06 PM

I'm glad you took a side-view pic with a rider aboard, as it gives a better appreciation for the ergos. Having said that, I can tell this bike is not made for my long legs. (How tall are you, Pete?) Still looks darn cool, though!

longride 12-11-2008 01:45 PM

I like the concept, but it lacks execution by being too heavy and not enough motor, along with being priced high for what you get. I'd rather grab a pre 04 883 and put a Zippers kit on it and then raid the Storz catalog and I would end up with a bike that is cheaper, at least 100 lbs lighter, with more HP and torque than this one. It would also be truly be iconic because it didn't come out of a showroom.

mscuddy 12-11-2008 02:00 PM

It missed the mark in my opinion. Remember the XR1000 with the twin carb heads? And the nice seat/tank combo that really LOOKED like an XR750, not some bloated "squint real hard and it looks like one" version that HD went on the cheap for our less than awake friends across the pond. It's all out of porportion and, well, goofy looking if you ask me.

Buzglyd 12-11-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 198955)
I like the concept, but it lacks execution by being too heavy and not enough motor, along with being priced high for what you get. I'd rather grab a pre 04 883 and put a Zippers kit on it and then raid the Storz catalog and I would end up with a bike that is cheaper, at least 100 lbs lighter, with more HP and torque than this one. It would also be truly be iconic because it didn't come out of a showroom.

Yer just grouchy cuz you didn't get that Senate appointment.

Oh, by the way, the Dali Obama is a White Sox fan!

seruzawa 12-11-2008 05:27 PM

Another excellent review of another attractive bike that tops the list of bikes I'll never buy. I'm with longride. It'd be more fun to pick up an 883 and upgrade it. I'm just waiting for those $1500 used 883s that need rebuilds.

newagetwotone 12-11-2008 06:03 PM

Now we need an XL1200CR....

Duken4evr 12-11-2008 07:13 PM

The rear head is on backwards and it is missing a carb.

This bike is a nice facsimile of an XR but HD trades on being the real deal genuine article. Back to the drawing board boys. Make it real.

uberhawk 12-11-2008 08:54 PM

Wow.

Guess I'm the dissenter in the group. Have a deposit down, and can't wait until January when it's supposed to get here. It's what I've been trying to turn my XL1200R into, and while I love my XB12Ss, riding it is like riding a fat chick.

It's the motor I love in a standard package. What's not to love. Yeah, a 100lbs less would be great, but hey, ditch the exhaust and lose 70lbs myself and I'd just about be there ;-)