Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #81
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I like 'em, difinately on the short list. I never got the "Sporty vibration" thing or the "unreliable AMF junk" Shovelhead crap either. All 4 of my AMF Harleys ran like champs and never left me stranded, certainly no more trouble than various Japanese and European bikes I've owned. In fact of the 25k+ miles I've put on Twin Cam Harleys I've had 0ne (1) failure, a horn quit working... $15 for an Aerostitch Freeway Blaster and 5 minutes work I was back in business. Just dumb luck I guess.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 03-13-2009 at 07:22 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #82
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I like 'em, difinately on the short list. I never got the "Sporty vibration" thing or the "unreliable AMF junk" Shovelhead crap either. All 4 of my AMF Harleys ran like champs and never left me stranded, certainly no more trouble than various Japanese and European bikes I've owned. In fact of the 25k+ miles I've put on Twin Cam Harleys I've had 0ne (1) failure, a horn quit working... $15 for an Aerostitch Freeway Blaster and 5 minutes work I was back in business. Just dumb luck I guess.

My dad put 50K+ on his '03 Deuce and '05 Road Glide with only a squeaky front motor mount on the Road Glide. He hit the 48 states in 14 months with only the threat of running out of fuel. The same with the '89 Low Rider his buddy rode on the same trips. I like HD's reliability and would gladly ditch the Concours for one if they were only a bit more affordable.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #83
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well the bubble has burst so prices are coming back down to earth, something will come your way when the time is right.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #84
vintagecycle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"It's just a Sportster."

Best post here! Truly, it is just a Sporty. It's all dressed up, but differs little from their other Sporty offerings other than the clothing.
Have you ridden one back-to-back with another sporty model? I can say first hand that it is nothing like my '04 1200C. It is much faster, smoother, and handles WAY better than my C model. Completely different bikes.
vintagecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #85
vintagecycle
Registered Member

Sarnali2,

Love that Screaming Trees song!

Last edited by vintagecycle : 03-21-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #86
vintagecycle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
It missed the mark in my opinion. Remember the XR1000 with the twin carb heads? And the nice seat/tank combo that really LOOKED like an XR750, not some bloated "squint real hard and it looks like one" version that HD went on the cheap for our less than awake friends across the pond. It's all out of porportion and, well, goofy looking if you ask me.
And if you ask me, the XR1000 was a HIDEOUS looking bike, how can you say it resembled an XR750 by any stretch? Yuck.
It looked like a stock sporty with jacked-up shocks and air cleaners hanging out in the breeze, and a weird fat solo seat. Talk about out-of-proportion...
http://www.motorcycle.com/images/con...y_Brochure.jpg

http://home-3.worldonline.nl/~jahsto...xrtt/xr750.jpg

If any previous sporty looked somewhat like the XR750, and had a "seat/tank combo" like one, it was the 1977-79 XL1000CR.
Motocylopedia: Harley Sport Specials

Squint even harder, and one of these vintage sportys might look like, well, a vintage sporty.

Last edited by vintagecycle : 03-21-2009 at 01:01 AM.