Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10172-2009-harley-davidson-sportster-xr1200-review.html)

Buzglyd 12-16-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 199231)
Repair manuals? Dude, he's rebuilding a Knuck! He had to install an entire blacksmith's shop so he can make new pistons and stuff.

Yeah his neighbors already called me and asked WTF all the pounding was.

On the plus side, all their horses have new shoes!

longride 12-16-2008 10:25 AM

So you getting me that for Christmas??

sarnali2 12-16-2008 10:29 AM

Here's a freebee for ya LR. All kinds of tips on building Knuckles Pans and Shovels

Amazon.com: Custom Harley Cookbook: Mike Geokan, Mike Arman: Books

schizuki 12-19-2008 12:43 PM

When I saw the Roadster was dropped from the lineup, I knew the XR1200 was coming. And I was pi**ed. The Roadster was the yummiest-looking Harley since the Super Glide Sport. Damn my poverty for not being able to buy either before they were dropped.

Harley's product strategy is "dump anything Schizuki digs." I'm a one-man reverse-focus group.

PS - the XR1200 will draw as many "If only they'd sell it, I'd buy one!!!" buyers as the new Buell.

schizuki 12-19-2008 12:52 PM

Someday I'll get a reply to go where I want it, instead of nesting with someone else's.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the new forums? I visit once a month and still get angry.

longride 12-19-2008 12:56 PM

Click the original item, or the item you want to nest under, click 'Quick Reply', and it will nest under that reply.

Irsh 01-05-2009 09:09 PM

I like the concept but the boat-tail needs to go. Otherwise very cool though an XB12 would kill it.

sarnali2 01-06-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irsh (Post 200490)
I like the concept but the boat-tail needs to go. Otherwise very cool though an XB12 would kill it.

The Boat Tail is an iconic Harley design, I think it works well on some models like this and the Street Rod

Kevin_Duke 01-06-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irsh (Post 200490)

I tend to agree. The tailsection looks a bit bulbous for a design based on the lean, stripped-down XR750.

Dr_Sprocket 03-10-2009 03:35 PM

So, I went down to the local H-D shop yesterday to purchase a maintenance manual for the Uly. When I opened the door to the showroom, guess what I saw! A shiny, new XR1200! I asked the salesperson if I could sit on it. Here is my impression (after riding 30 miles from work to the shop on the Uly):

The bike is still top-heavy. The reviews have been quite positive, and true, I didn't ride it. Nevertheless, taking it off of the side-stand and wiggling it quickly from side to side reveals its weight.

Also, the wheelbase is long (compared to the Uly). I asked what the dimensions were - noone in the dealership knew the answer. I haven't looked it up yet, but by the seat of my pants it felt at least 4 inches longer that my Uly. The five-minute sit test showed the seat to be quite comfy, but the footpegs could stand to be moved further rearward, at least for my lanky legs.

Overall, the bike has a nice presence - especially in the H-D orange. :) Immediately after sitting on the XR1200, I went over to sit on the new Buell 1125CR - to me a much lighter, better balanced and more comfortable bike than the XR. If I were dropping $11,500 (MSRP was about the same) on a new bike, I would hands down chose the 1125CR.