Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I like it myself, I'm a Sporty fan from way back... I agree with Cuddy though, if I was going to drop big money on a Sportster I would rather have a pristine XR1000, XL1000CR, or a '56 KHK.. but this would be cool too.

I like the looks of this one and I hope they sell a pile of them, I'd certainly like to have one

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 12-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberhawk View Post
Wow.

Guess I'm the dissenter in the group. Have a deposit down, and can't wait until January when it's supposed to get here. It's what I've been trying to turn my XL1200R into, and while I love my XB12Ss, riding it is like riding a fat chick.

It's the motor I love in a standard package. What's not to love. Yeah, a 100lbs less would be great, but hey, ditch the exhaust and lose 70lbs myself and I'd just about be there
Good point! That thing would look pretty sweet with a titanium/carbon fiber set of pipes. I wonder if there is a set already out there.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I'm just waiting for those $1500 used 883s that need rebuilds."

They are out there. The Chicago area is loaded with old 883's and I could pick up a running one for about $2500 as we speak. It's in the back of my head, but right now I have a Knuckle project on my hands.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
motojohn
Founding Member

The articles I have read on Harley's new bike always indicate there is no competition for this bike. In the existing US market that would be true to say but it's total hogwash if you look to the European market. As I have a love for all motorcycles, I really hope the XR1200 does well. In fact I hope the bike sells so well that it will force Yamaha to bring the MT-01 over from Europe and add it to the STAR motorcycle line-up. It's makes up the difference on most everything that people say the XR1200 lacks.
motojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"It's just a Sportster."

Best post here! Truly, it is just a Sporty. It's all dressed up, but differs little from their other Sporty offerings other than the clothing.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojohn View Post
The articles I have read on Harley's new bike always indicate there is no competition for this bike. ...

In fact I hope the bike sells so well that it will force Yamaha to bring the MT-01 over from Europe and add it to the STAR motorcycle line-up.
First, kudos to Pete for writing the first article on this bike that doesn't sound like Harley advertising drivel. All of those I've never felt this way before oh my gosh it the best bike I ever rode reviews were pretty damn annoying. It's just a Sportster.

Second, I doubt seriously YermamaStar is going to cut into VMAX le Duece sales by bringing over the MT-01. I don't argue it's a very cool looking bike, but the price point, style, and potential market segment would cut into the Max's. They've got a shirtload of ROI to make up on that bike, and the US is where they're planning to do it.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 12-12-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #17
SmokeU
Registered Member

I too would rather build a solid mount Sporty before buying an XR1200
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
motojohn
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
First, kudos to Pete for writing the first article on this bike that doesn't sound like Harley advertising drivel. All of those I've never felt this way before oh my gosh it the best bike I ever rode reviews were pretty damn annoying. It's just a Sportster.

Second, I doubt seriously YermamaStar is going to cut into VMAX le Duece sales by bringing over the MT-01. I don't argue it's a very cool looking bike, but the price point, style, and potential market segment would cut into the Max's. They've got a shirtload of ROI to make up on that bike, and the US is where they're planning to do it.
I hear what you are saying, but Yamaha was 2 years late (some argue many more) with launching the VMAX and timing the bell curve of the economic bubble for a 17+K bike. I'm not certain clinging to any specific model to recover ROI is in anyones best interest these days as discretionary spending in the US is only likely to diminish. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the mighty VMAX but we must be mindful that way of thinking also contributed to the collapse of the US Automotive Industry. Besides we already have a historical precedence for Yamaha cutting into it's own model lines when they released the Raider just two years after the Liners which also impacted the RSWarrior crowd as well. When I visualize the MT-01 in the line up, it has just enough European flavor to replace the getting dated 02 Warrior model, peak new interest, all at a cost savings on R&D to utilize an existing platform to compete well against the newly found US XR1200 craze. Remember, the Warrior was postured to compete against the V-Rod which the VMAX will do much better as a performance cruiser. Plus it's becoming apparent the V-Rod is not the direction of HD's future which has brought on the XR1200 approach. You're probably right that we'll never see it, but I can still wish and want a MT-01 under the tree for Christmas... I'm also not in the industry and openly admit I don't know snot. Can we at least get a Euro shootout with these two bikes? -LOL!

Last edited by motojohn : 12-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.
motojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
bmwclay
Founding Member

Hey, when we first saw this bike last summer we were screaming mad that it was not offered here. We wrote letters and emails demanding that Harley bring it here. Now that it is here, everyone's saying 'it's just a Sportster' or 'I rather rebuild a 1500 dollar junker, no way I buying that bike'. Time will tell, but maybe we should put our money where our mouth is.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I don't know who 'we' is, but if you can find a post from me anywhere on the World Wide Web screaming for this bike to be brought here, I will purchase this bike and a Buell model that has a 'real motor' in it to boot. The funniest part about building that '1500 dollar junker' is that when I was done it would outperform this bike in every way possible, along with being a more authentic XR than this one would ever be, not to mention that mine would be truly unique. This bike is akin to the 'factory custom' nonsense. It just doesn't work for me.

Last edited by longride : 12-12-2008 at 11:53 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote